cristain-buddhism

Discussion in 'Buddhism' started by hemp_boy, Sep 5, 2005.

1. hemp_boy

hemp_boy Member

since buddhist dont worship a god, and you techicaly be a buddhist cristian?
    Arnar

2. Sebbi

Sebbi Senior Member

Why not?

You're Buddhist if you agree about the 4 noble truths, something that I don't believe is mutually exclusive to christianity.

3. MeAgain

MeAgain Dazed & Confused Lifetime Supporter Super Moderator

My understanding is that a Christian could adhere to the tenets of Buddhism such as the 4 noble truths but as Buddhism does not recognize a conventional god Christianity would not permit one to call oneself a Buddhist and a Christian.

A Buddhist may also adhere to most of the tenets of Christianity but the Buddhist would recognize certain limitations of Christianity and accept them as only one level of Truth.

4. Hikaru Zero

Hikaru Zero Sylvan Paladin

Well, I read in a book somewhere that you can be a limited Christian and a Buddhist at the same time. The only major thing is, many Christian practices and thoughts might be considered unwholesome by Buddhist standards, and being both would limit your ability to be much of either belief.

5. White Feather

White Feather Senior Member

A Christian who just reads the scriptures is the same as a Buddhist who just reads the scriptures. There's no difference.

A Buddhist who meditates is more likely to understand Christ. If you read the Gnostic Gospels you'll find much in common.

The "danger" is that Jesus will now be only seen as an Enlightened man instead of a deity. But "God" takes on a more expansive definition, Tao-like.

6. TrippinBTM

TrippinBTM Ramblin' Man

but the gnostics hated the world, thought it was evil. anything material including one's body was bad. So the comparison only goes so far.

7. JHardee13

JHardee13 Member

8. mrsmorrison27

mrsmorrison27 yoda piss

i was wondering the same thing, i always had a time with wat i practiced, i was christian then wiccan and then back and forth, now im christian,, but i love the buddhist ways, so im being drawn to it, i have been for a while,im researching like craszy, but i do beleive in God, i think that we should just do wat feels right to us, and both feels right to me.

9. Hikaru Zero

Hikaru Zero Sylvan Paladin

Buddhism ... and the Buddha ... are like a finger, pointing at the moon.

It is only the fool who looks at the finger.

10. Burn

Burn Member

Bruce Lee: "It's like a finger pointing to the moon. *Points to the moon for his pupil, and his pupil stares at his finger. Bruce gives him a whack on the head.

"DON'T concentrate on the finger or you will miss all of that heavenly glory. Do you understand?"

:D

11. Bhaskar

Bhaskar Members

Don't read the label. Taste the contents of the jar to know what is within it.

12. Spiritforces

Spiritforces Member

Many of crucial points of buddhism and christianity are close, very close
    The difference is not big, really
    They just look at it from an "opposed" side

13. heron

heron Hip Forums Supporter HipForums Supporter

Buddhism is waaaaay different from Christianity. Morals aside, the faiths are
    no where near the same. One teaches a theistic approach to a dualistic outcome,
    one teaches a non-theistic approach to an enlightened outcome.

Whats the same?

14. Spiritforces

Spiritforces Member

I agree that the approach is different,
    I read a book in which the dialogue between a christin monk and buddhist lama shows how close they are. I am studying in Germany now (for the whole year) but I go back home next weekend (which I enjoy ;)), I will come back with the book and explain more about it.
    Basically christians mystics are, to me, pretty close to buddhist ones. I was raised in a christian family, I am sure the way I see christianity is not as your way to see it in America (and there maybe also a lot of my personal interpretation). I ve never been told to fear anything.
    The state reached by both side is the same, that is my interpretation. I am not sure there is a dualistic outcome in christianity.
    Compassion is heart of both.
    There are numberous common points and answers, even what christians calls the trinity can be found in essence in buddhism.
    (I will try to not forget to bring to book back, hit me again if you want to write it more in my head)
    Have fun, I've deep respect for you Heron.

15. Nimrod's Apprentice

Nimrod's Apprentice Member

The holy spirit and Non-attachment are long lost friends.

the only proof you have in nature is a circle or even better a spiral. Up or down, look closely and you see it. This spiral exists in all things separate but equal, the transporter sets a path, to pave the stone, thats neverlasting. They dont believe dr. god biologically engineered them, and gave them a fate and forever are you to fear yet still be indebted to him. But that your current physical form is only a vessel to cary your light body laced with karman particles good ones stand swell, while bad ones sting like hell. Good or bad there all pretty rad just dont rob and kill for fun. If thats what Dr. God programmed you as bad.
    its all up to you.

Burn Out your karma =Nirvana

The christians had the first step to find the holy spirit, which is possible in over 1000 ways. The earliest christians knew the easiest method The sacrament. Thereupon opening another 1000 possibilities.
    The buddhist practices the second step-recognize the holy spirit, thru any of the 1000 ways if necessary for mental devotion. AND ACT ON THEM.
    THATS THE IMPORTANT ASPECT, THOUGHT IS PROFOUND, but ACTION IS AS REAL AS THE ENERGY that powers any living thing you know.

- "Burn Out"