Creation VS Evolution

Discussion in 'Science and Technology' started by FinShaggy, Aug 20, 2013.

1. FinShaggy

FinShaggy Banned

I'm watching an old episode of Penn & Teller: Bullshit!

I never saw much merit in creationism, and I am not saying it is in any way true. But watching this, Christians say "Intelligent Design" to replace god, and now they are trying to get it taught in schools.

I'm not saying Creationism is correct. I've looked at all the fossils and completely agree that we evolved from some type of ape, and still are some type of ape (but we have adapted to the point that we can call evolution).

What I am saying is, Creationists/Christians are fucking persistent. They were persecuted throughout Roman times, yet they kept believing. They were persecuted in British times, and went to a new world across the ocean...

And watching this, I am starting to think that they will be the first ones to live in space. Either in an attempt to discover and prove god, or get away from Earth once it becomes too Atheist, so they can go to another planet and practice peacefully.

2. MeAgain

MeAgain Dazed & Confused Lifetime Supporter Super Moderator

Still thinking this over? lol

Just a point, according to evolution we didn't evolve from apes, but apes and homo sapiens sapiens evolved from a common ancestor.

3. Piaf

Piaf Senior Member

And I say also unto thee, That thou art Peter, and upon this rock I will build my church; and the gates of hell shall not prevail against it.

(one of my favorites)

4. FinShaggy

FinShaggy Banned

Are we not a form of ape? Is the word Primate? Maybe I just got those confused.

5. MeAgain

First is the super family Hominoidea, then it branches to the Hominidea and the Hylobatidae and so on down to the Hominini.

The Hominini branches to the Pan and Homo family. But as the family branches you will notice that humans are have not evolved from the Bonobo, Chimpanzee, Gorilla, Orangutan, or gibbon families which are all apes. Notice there are no monkeys in this chart as they diverged earlier.

The Bonobo, Chimpanzee, Gorilla, and Orangutan are greater apes, the gibbon is a lesser ape.

Humans are separate from the apes but share the same super family, Hominoidea.
    [​IMG]

Here's a chart for the primates, for some reason it combines the rodents and primates, so follow the bottom branches. Yes apes and humans are primates but again notice the separate branches. Humans did not evolve from apes, monkeys, or prosimians although they all have a common ancestor.

[​IMG]

6. FinShaggy

FinShaggy Banned

If all those are apes, then we are apes and just don't want to officially recognize it.

7. MeAgain

Well you could say that. But there is a difference in the skeleton, nervous system, speech and intellectual capabilities, teeth and hair, and reproductive organs of living apes and man. They can not crossbreed to my knowledge.

8. Maelstrom

Maelstrom Banned

Creationism is pseudo-science. Plain and simple. It is merely an extension of the gap of knowledge fallacy whereby theists make the erroneous god did it comment when faced with unanswered questions.

Meagain is correct. We are not evolved directly from primates. Rather, science has determined that we do share a common ancestor. What that common ancestor was, we do not yet know. Unlike religion, science will not simply create an answer out of thin air to suit one's imagination and comfort one's curiosities. Rather, science strives to discover while remaining grounded in reality.

I doubt theists would be the first to venture into space for the purpose of survival there. They hinder science at every opportunity, after all. Look at what they did to Galileo when he informed them that the earth was not the center of the universe. Also, the earth is apparently not flat as the bible would have one believe.

9. FinShaggy

FinShaggy Banned

That's just adaptation and evolution.

I'm sure Gorillas and Gibbons can't cross breed either (can they?), but they are both still considered apes.

10. Mike Suicide

Mike Suicide Sweet and Tender Hooligan

Scientist say that the modern human brain evolved from proto-human to modern human in about 100,000 years, and that it took millions of years to get to the proto-human stage.

The thing that they can't figure out is how proto-human brain evolved into the modern human brain so quickly without some kind of outside influence. Even after millions or hundreds of millions of years a proto-human brain would have still been a proto-human brain. I guess thats what they call the missing link.

11. Mr.Writer

Mr.Writer Senior Member

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mZt1Gn0R22Q"]Myths and misconceptions about evolution - Alex Gendler - YouTube

12. FinShaggy

FinShaggy Banned

There's a box but no video inside...

13. FinShaggy

FinShaggy Banned

The video showed up. I watched it, and none of it goes against anything I've said.

14. relaxxx

relaxxx Senior Member

Ahhh,

I always wondered when they were going to start practicing PEACEFULLY.

15. FinShaggy

FinShaggy Banned

I mean, that's why they came to America right?

16. MeAgain

Ohhh......this gets into my America before the Europeans thread. I haven't gotten around to the reasons for the European invasion. If You're interested, I'll post some stuff about that in that thread.

17. FinShaggy

FinShaggy Banned

I'll check it out :)

18. graxton

graxton Member

All the European settlers did was slaughter a whole native race of a continent so that they could practice their faith in peace.

19. FinShaggy

FinShaggy Banned

Lol, I'm talking about the very first settlers, not the 400 years following.

20. pensfan13

pensfan13 Senior Member

the video says that evolution wasnt by adapting to their environment then the very next part mentions how giraffes got long necks because the giraffes with longer necks survived and had babies with long necks.

umm that is a species adapting to its environment. aka survival of the fittest in whatever environment the animal is born into. to take that theory to an extreme, a shark is the most fearful predator of the sea, take the shark out of the environment it was born in...lets say it was born in a very small pond. i would take my chances on beating a shark if it couldnt swim around too far. likewise if i was born on a desert island like in those comics where there is nothing but a coconut tree and sharks swimming around, those sharks would have a pretty easy time finding a human meal. like the video said it isnt always the fastest or strongest but the best to adapt to its environment...wait where have i heard that adapting to the environment line before?