Crazy things you did as a kid.

Discussion in 'Remember When?' started by Bilby, Aug 6, 2020.

1. Bilby

Bilby Lifetime Supporter and Freerangertarian Super Moderator

1.We had an old wind up gramophone for playing 78s. The was one 78 that I would often play but at the highest speed possible, so it sound like Pinky& Perky singing. My elder sister was not impressed.
    2. In the 1970s jogging was as yet to become a fad. I would often go for a run around the block. Once I got my sister to do so but she walked along Reading Road. It was odd to see anyone running in those days.

2. Pete's Draggin'

Pete's Draggin' Visitor

BB gun wars with no head or facial protection, just bluejeans , t-shirt and shoes.

3. hotwater

hotwater Senior Member Lifetime Supporter

As hard as it is to believe we actually had rock fights (with real rocks) during the fall we had egg corn fights (which were far less painful)
    and naturally in the winter snowball fights.

We played Lawn Darts and when we got bored, we started tossing them at each other.(they were easy to dodge and avoid, but still)

We played pocket knife games like Mumbley Peg, and yes the Knife game……………

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 7, 2020
  4. wilsjane

wilsjane Nutty Professor HipForums Supporter

I just used my chemistry set to build bombs and blow up the bushes at the local recreation ground. Rather than complain, the local policeman used to come over on his bike to watch. Having served as a bomb disposal engineer during WW2, he gave me a lot of advice and never worried about me taking the door of the lamp post and connecting my electric detonators to trigger when the lamp came on.
    The only time he gave me a few cross words was when he realized that my bag of sawdust from the butchers shop was about to be soaked with home made nitroglycerin to produce dynamite. Me, being me, asked him (as a joke) to meet me outside the bank the following evening.
    How life has changed over the past 60 years.

5. themnax

themnax Senior Member

levitating. and putting things in invisible places. and visiting people who lived inside of trees.

6. Adamskiffle

Adamskiffle Members

Threw a spanner at my foster Sister's head when I was about 6 (she needed butterfly stitches).
    Accidentally set fire to a ditch when I was 13.
    Left a nail under my headmaster's car tyre ( I was about 9).

7. Mongooseuk

Mongooseuk Members

Oh man. I remember taking a firecracker and putting it in an ant hill. Oh and I blew up my sister's barbie doll. I got in trouble for the second thing.

GypsyHolly83 likes this.
  8. GypsyHolly83

GypsyHolly83 Members

I remember riding my bike down our hill and going over these makeshift jumps the neighborhood kids set up.. we all could have easily ate shit on the pavement lol

Eric! likes this.
  9. Eric!

Eric! Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

I was going to put this as my answer, as I remember it so well- because I ate shit on the pavement several times.

93A4179E-26EB-46AB-8417-21871733B170.gif

10. GypsyHolly83

GypsyHolly83 Members

I can feel that picture

Bicaptain My Captain and Eric! like this.
  11. guerillabedlam

guerillabedlam _|=|-|=|_

Quarters...

Got 2-3 people to spin a quarter on a table and whomever knocked it off the table or flattened it had to put their knuckles to the table like a fist and let the other person flick it at their knuckles. Game was over when a person drew blood on each knuckle.

12. Eric!

Heheheee- yeah, my chin, neck and my back hurt just looking at that

GypsyHolly83 likes this.
  13. Eric!

Never, never, EVER did that silly ass knife game. To me, that’s right up there with eating Tide pods!

14. hotwater

hotwater Senior Member Lifetime Supporter

I know looking back it was crazy, but it was a different time.

There were no cell phones, no internet, Cable TV was just being introduced, and nearly every kid even in this idyllic crime-free suburb carried a pocket knife.

We would pour lighter fluid on crayfish we caught in the lake and set them on fire, we would set off M80s and blow up ant hills, illegally explore the city sewer system,
    until a kid got lost and the city installed metal grates preventing further access.- it was great.

Eric! likes this.
  15. Eric!

Yep, that’s my childhood right there!

hotwater likes this.
  16. Vladimir Illich

Vladimir Illich Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

In co=operation with a few of the girls at our school who managed to confidate gym mistress's shorts, myself and a couple of others were able to fly those shorts from the flag pole. Never did get 'caught' for that one !!!

In chemistry lessons - managed to blow up the laboratory (twice !!!)

Bicaptain My Captain and Eric! like this.
  17. Bicaptain My Captain

Bicaptain My Captain Members

Got you beat, Vlad. Twice in high school and once in chemistry. Changed my major to English.

18. themnax

themnax Senior Member

levitation. ok, so maybe only a couple of inches, but i did manage to stay up long enough to float from one room into another.

19. Bicaptain My Captain

Bicaptain My Captain Members

I flew on percadan and pot for three days after having my wisdom teeth removed. Hell, I levitated to the moon!

20. olderndirt

olderndirt Senior Member

Fished alone in a cypress swamp. Caught snakes. Wandered in the woods.

themnax likes this.