Crazy Stuff You Used To Believe As A Kid

Discussion in 'Weird, Bizarre and Mysterious' started by Adamskiffle, Jun 21, 2017.

1. themnax

themnax Senior Member

the crazyist thing, that too may 'grown ups' still do,
    was that anything you believed in hard enough,
    would make it so.

maybe there's another universe somewhere where it would, i don't know.
    but its been tried and proven not very effective in this one.

disney's shaggy dog, was a great fun movie,
    but there's a difference people don't see,
    (mostly because they don't look, those that don't)
    between how physical things work,
    and how socio-political things do.

as a really young kid, i learned eventually that people act in movies,
    but even once i understood those faces i was seeing in media,
    weren't really the faces of characters in stories,
    it still took a few years to figure out where the stories came from,
    that they weren't some part of the universe,
    but just things that people made up.

2. Pete's Draggin'

Pete's Draggin' Visitor

When I was 12, the older kids would play a prank on me.

This railroad storage container station at night was guarded by "Old Man Jake"
    On a few weekends we would all go and creep up to the tracks and then everyone would come running back in my direction screaming RUN!!!
    I'd run everytime, until one night I said "this was bullshit, there's no Old Man Jake"

So the following night I took point and walked right up in doubt this was bullshit.

Little did I know.... that just for this special occasion with me calling BS on Old Man Jake, one of my friends dad's dressed up like "Jason" from the 1st friday the 13th movie with the potato sack over his head and wearing blue coveralls yelling "come here you little son of a bitch" and came running after me and the guys from the railroad track station.
    Pee was going down my leg as I ran, and I ran passed some of the guys that were even behind me who were in on it. I was scared beyond belief.

They all laughed so hard, some couldn't catch their breath from laughing and were bent over crying.

The hard way to learn that Old Man Jake was made up.

pensfan13 likes this.
  3. creampie00

creampie00 If you can't DODGE it....RAM it!

My uncle told me the boogie man was made of boogies and he lived in my nose and would come out at night at stare at me. totes believed it as a kid

Ged likes this.
  4. unfocusedanakin

unfocusedanakin The Archaic Revival Lifetime Supporter

When I was around 6 I asked my mom for a pierced ear and she said OK but you have to wear ones like I have they do not make boy ones. Believed her for a year or two and thought some women must just buy skull ones which was what I wanted after seeing a guy on TV with one. I looked in the ladie's department several times and never found them and of course I was not interested until I did. Mom was smart.

Irminsul likes this.
  5. Eric!

Eric! Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

I though Darth Vader was a black guy underneath that mask

Last edited: Jan 29, 2018
    Deidre and Pete's Draggin' like this.
  6. Eric!

Eric! Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

I thought the lead singer for KC and the Sunshine Band was black, until I saw them on Soul Train. Blew my mind.

Mallyboppa likes this.
  7. Rots in hell

Rots in hell Senior Member

I used to think The galosha woman was real and the scariest thing in the world
    Then I found out about Purple Aki !

8. Deidre

Deidre Visitor

When I was a kid, I used to think that cartoons were real, and I wanted to live in the cartoon world. :relaxed:

Pete's Draggin' and Eric! like this.
  9. Americunt

Americunt Corporate Hack

I thought my grandma's name was Nana, so I called her Grandma Nana. I had a lot of immediate relatives due to divorces and adoptions, so I would keep everyone straight by saying their title before their name.

10. SpacemanSpiff

SpacemanSpiff Visitor

i used to think my cousins called their other grandma "banana"...

nana is not used in my family

11. SpacemanSpiff

SpacemanSpiff Visitor

Deidre likes this.
  12. desert-rat

desert-rat Senior Member

You could smash atoms with a hammer . people in China spoke backwards because there on the other side of the world .

13. jpdonleavy

jpdonleavy Members

I used to think that when people said "that's a turn up for the books" they were actually saying "that's a turnip for the books" - and had no idea what it meant

14. jpdonleavy

jpdonleavy Members

Please bear in mind that few outside the Commonwealth now what a knocking shop is - it's a global site so try brothel, whore house, there's lots of synonyms

same goes for 'getting the leg over' and on and on

15. hotwater

hotwater Senior Member Lifetime Supporter

That’s funny because the only member of the band who wasn’t black was the lead vocal KC (who’s real last name was Casey) Note: as long as you don’t include the light skin Hispanic guy

16. Irminsul

Irminsul Valkyrie

Pretty much the same whacky stuff I believe in now. :p

17. soulcompromise

soulcompromise Member HipForums Supporter

I once saw a tiny goblin in my mouth while I was at the dentist. I must have seen it in a mirror or something. My mouth had to have been open. It was a tiny flesh colored ball with legs. How weird. Anyway, I'm still confused about this! I absolutely must have imagined it, but I used to remember it vividly. Weird.

18. TrumpCards

TrumpCards Visitor

Growing up, I used to live in a city called Arcadia, CA. In that city, there was a very cheap taxi service that would take you anywhere in the city. However, to use it, you had to say the EXACT address. There is a race track in that city (Santa Anita) and you couldn’t just say “Take me to the race track.” You had to give the address. I’m under the impression that most of the male drivers were homosexuals. Because of that, I thought that taxi service was in actuallity a front for prostitution.

19. mcme

mcme lurker

I remember back at eight and nine years old thinking all girls were soft, kind and beautiful. A few years and divorces later I'm a hair more skeptical.

20. scratcho

scratcho Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

In my little run around world, of course I'd see adults everywhere. I didn't really look at them --they were just always around doing what adults did. What I believed then , was that adults always had their shit together, must be doing things that were important, were religious, were probably always right, would NEVER have relations outside of their marriages---affairs weren't even considered --grownups would never do --THE WRONG THING! Then, after 40--50 years, I hear gossip from the 40s, 50s, 60s and realize ---nothing new under the sun.

In other words--the more things change, the more they remain the same.