Crafty old McDonalds.

Discussion in 'Vegetarian' started by FrozenMoonbeam, May 17, 2004.

1. Megara

Megara Banned

lets look at my original statement...

The smart idea is to invest in GM crops, so we can eliminate pesticides, maximize crop growth, and cut down on pollution to the environment.

See, i said we need to INVEST further, and improve the technology. Surely GM plants do not eliminate pesticides from the earth, nor do they remove the destruction to the earth, but they can help greatly reduce it with further innovation. Considering something like 40% of natural crops are wasted, improving the crop yield alone could GREATLY help world hunger and cut down on the destruction of the land.

the IDEA behind gm foods is brilliant, and with some funding and research, could have amazing effects on this planet.

I dont think there is any study that exists saying GM foods are worse than normal crops either in destruction of earth, or allergies. Of course, more research needs to be done, but doesnt it always?

Investing in GM food seems like the smart idea to me.

Btw, you have pretty much just discredited all the research in this country, since most research grants comes from private funds, i guess they are ALL tainted. Most studies have to be submitted to magazines which require peer review to ensure that their methodology isnt blatantly skewed

2. matthew

matthew Almost sexy

If the only place too work was Mcdonalds i might agree with you ... clearly this is not the case. People sign on because of a multitude of difftrent reasons. Thats why i said it was naive and simplistic. Thankfully there is more choice .

3. DoktorAtomik

DoktorAtomik Closed For Business

I've been on the dole, matthew. Amongst fellow unemployed people, mcd's was always a watchword for the kind of job that you'd rather continue signing on than do. That's not naive and simplistic. That's experience.

4. matthew

matthew Almost sexy

I have been on the dole as well.. ok i may not have wanted too 'lower' myself to working at such a place...its not a lofty goal i admit. This is not the point . Given a choice between the two i would quite happily work there. If more people used this it as a door way too employment or even just a stop gap then what is wrong with that.

It maybe a soul destroying dull as dish water job and there may even be a stigma put upon working there by people like yourself..but nothing you have said has realy highlighted why this place is so bad .

I even slightly mocked your assertion that mcdonalds exploits children and you had nothing further too say.

5. DoktorAtomik

You're switching the argument again. Your point was that it's better than the dole. This is demonstrably untrue, or all people who are on the dole would opt to work there.

Appalling pay, poor working conditions, no union recognition.......

That's because I'm getting tired of responding to your bullshit. I'm also getting tired of your immature sarcastic tone. If you can't raise a question politely, then I won't feel obliged to answer it. Now re-read the post and tell me exactly where I said any such thing.

6. matthew

matthew Almost sexy

People on the dole do opt too work their..but like i said there is a multitude of other places too work. Having about £35 or say maybe £150 each week there is no comparison. Normaly there is say 3 maybe 4 MCD in each reasoably sized town..20 or so employees in each ... your saying this could fill the jobless quotas ???, NO i say.

Like i said would a child who is touched by the charitable hand of mcdonalds care .does that make them selfish.

So your not talking about anything MCD might directly do ... just throwing in exploited children for the hell of it...

7. DoktorAtomik

You're not even bothering to formulate a rational argument now.

Are you actually reading what I write? Answer the fucking point. Your argument was that mcd's is objectively better than being on the dole. I've known many, many non-veggie people who sign on, and would rather take a giro than go to work at mcd's. Clearly, it therefore isn't objectively better than the dole. You, personally, may find it better than a giro. But that doesn't make it an objective fact.

Again, answer the fucking point. I never said that mcd's exploit children. Don't misquote me and then get sarcastic about it. I ask you again.... where did I say this?

8. matthew

matthew Almost sexy

The reasons the people you know that choose not too work in MCD are unknown too me...but is not having more money than the dole in your pocket better than the dole itself...you can choose NOT to work their this does not mean it is worse Nore money is more money.

I did not misquote you ... after me saying this

You said

Not in the previous post i picked up on this but you did say it...

Why did you say that if you not inferring that mcdonalds exploits children ????
    What did you mean by that then ???

9. DoktorAtomik

Poor pay, poor working conditions, no union recognition, no job satisfaction......

No that's naive and simplistic. If someone offered to pay you to be fucked up the arse, would you accept? No? Well money clearly isn't everything, is it?

Let me explain it to you simply, since you can't seem to follow a chain of reason....

1. You say a child would be glad if mcd's had helped them

2. I said they might not be so grateful if mcd's had exploited their family

What's so complicated? I ask you again...... where did I say mcd's exploit children? Or even imply it?

10. matthew

matthew Almost sexy

Using extremes and 'what ifs' is not reasonable ... i can see your point but thats taking this a bit too far.

Minnimum wage + ... your not going too go on holiday 3 times a year i admit.
    Thats a matter of opinion

They did eventualy but we all have minimal workers rights don't we ???? with out unions.

.... it depends if you live too work or work too live..

11. DoktorAtomik

Address the point. You're avoiding it again. I didn't say what you accused me (sarcastically) of saying. This is why you stretch my patience.

Of course it is. It's all a matter of opinion. Therefore you can't argue that it's better than the dole, because clearly for many people it will not be.

12. squawkers7

squawkers7 radical rebel

When my daughter got really sick 3 yrs ago,she was flown to Phoenix,AZ. I was able to work in Kingman,AZ 3 nights a week and go to Phoenix the other nights. There is a very nice Ronald McDonald's house in Phoenix that I stayed at for a few nights when I got tired of sleeping in ICU at the hospital. I'm glad there are quite a few McDonald's houses like that across the country to help families out.

I'll assume the some of the profits from their greasy, stinky, fattening junk food restaurant helped build those Ronald McDonald Houses.

13. matthew

matthew Almost sexy

Did you see i did not say this too every point...poor working conditions is covered in you other points...its not realy a seperate issue . If your saying its a seperate issue then i take it too mean the job description . This is why i said it is matter of opinion , because if i read the job description and i said 'fuck that' ...and somebody else said 'ok then' , who would be right.

14. matthew

matthew Almost sexy

I did not realise this ... thanks.

http://www.bizjournals.com/phoenix/stories/2004/03/22/daily2.html

http://phoenix.bizjournals.com/phoenix/stories/2003/10/20/daily21.html

http://www.media.mcdonalds.com/secured/company/operator_assoc/mhoa/community/

15. DoktorAtomik

What on earth are you talking about? I can't even work out what you're trying to say in this post. If you mean that whether mcd's is a good or bad job is a matter of opinion, then yes, obviously, or nobody would work there. But then you also said that it's better than the dole, which was the point we were debating - whether this was true, or subject to interpretation.

16. matthew

matthew Almost sexy

I was responding too you pulling this quote from my post and i thought dismissing or ignorining the rest of what i had said...

Just saying

I never said that was a 'matter of opinion' .....

I said this

Was a 'matter of opinion'

Anyway your selected freinds opinions have no relevance here.... its like me saying ALL my freinds would work there...what diffrence does that make . I could say your friemds are work shy grunts and would not work anywere . Its only anecdotal

If you did do/did not grasp what i meant fine...

17. DoktorAtomik

You're not making sense again. The original point that you keep avoiding was that you said that mcd's was better than the dole. This is clearly not the case, since this is a matter of subjective opinion.

Exactly. So it's therefore impossible for you to say mcd's is better than the dole with any degree of objectivity, because many people clearly believe this is not the case.

Or perhaps you weren't clear....

18. matthew

matthew Almost sexy

Its not realy of subjective opinion ... its just not the way you want too think , youre prejudiced on this subject ... so you could say YOUR not being very subjective.

.... Your friends are not on the dole anymore are they if so why??? i ask because they did not have 2 choices . Given ONLY 2 choices i very much doubt they would be collecting there £35(ish) a week.

way up the 2 options and i am right...maybe i am being a bit arrogant but i am right.

Would you claim dole forever if you only had the 2 options ????

We are both being a bit pedantic about this but hey...i am right on this point.

19. DoktorAtomik

This is total bullshit. If one group of people would prefer to sign on, and one group of people would prefer to work in mcd's, then it's clearly a matter of subjective opinion as to whether or not it's better than the dole. That's simple logic, and has nothing to do with my own personal opinion.

Saying you're right in the absence of a rational argument does not make you right. It makes you a fool. You might prefer to work in mcd's in preference to signing on, but many people wouldn't. Why don't you start a poll and we can test the theory?

If the other option was mcd's? Absolutely!

20. matthew

matthew Almost sexy

OK then .... not here though .... i will in the random thought..