Crafty old McDonalds.

Discussion in 'Vegetarian' started by FrozenMoonbeam, May 17, 2004.

1. DoktorAtomik

DoktorAtomik Closed For Business

I'm obviously having real problems getting you to understand this point. I wasn't making an argument it the post that you quoted. I was expressing a flippant opinion!!!

But dude.... you didn't do anything. You posted some links. You've made no effort to explain what you think's so great about mcd's!!! This is another point that you just don't seem able to grasp!

Well I'd much rather just get along, so how about we ditch insults and sarcasm, huh?

Have a link :p

http://www.mcspotlight.org/case/pretrial/factsheet.html

2. matthew

matthew Almost sexy

Have a link [​IMG]

http://www.mcspotlight.org/case/pretrial/factsheet.html

Thats all i wanted...it not a very good one but it will do :p

And its from the same darn people i used as a refrence...i don't no.

And its all about 'meat is murder' does not tell me anything i don't already know...

but hey your right i don't realy want to 'fight' either...you got yourself out of realy answering me and i give you a round of applause.

3. DoktorAtomik

Dude, I really don't get you. You say "mcd's is great", and then refuse to explain yourself except by posting links. Then when I post a link, you accuse me of "getting out of really answering you". Doesn't that strike you as just the teensiest bit hypocritical?!?

4. matthew

matthew Almost sexy

Why make it in the first place , whats wrong with your own real opinion. We would not have got into the pickle we were in .

Maybe i should have not have said that i thought my post would awaken you .:rolleyes:

5. matthew

matthew Almost sexy

I did eventualy explain myself..you may have been let down , i am sorry about that. But just saying that your initial remarks were flippant says that you had not a lot too back yourself up...

Wich is a problem for both of us .... but i tried ... you did not.

http://www.disinfo.com/archive/pages/dossier/id454/pg1/

6. DoktorAtomik

It's a forum. We can express serious opinions and debate issues if we wish. We can also express flippant opinions and be humorous. What's your problem with this?

Where? Beyond saying mcd's ain't dirty and the staff sometimes smile and sometimes don't, what did you say to explain your opinion? Or are you talking about pasting a load of stuff in here, which is not the same thing as expressing an opinion.....

That's a load of utter bollocks. I didn't even have an argument to back up! I wasn't even debating the pros or cons of mcd's, I was simply expressing a feeling. By your logic, it'd be impossible to ever make a humorous or flippant comment about something without it automatically meaning that you had no knowledge of a subject. How can you possibly draw such a huge inferance from a passing comment? That's a very rude and patronising thing to say.

You're still not getting it. You didn't try at all. This all comes down to me asking you why you thought mcd's was so great. You've never explained this. You've posted links and copied and pasted text, but you've never explained your own personal opinion.

7. matthew

matthew Almost sexy

This along with the links is about it ..... what more do you want ??? the links provide the charitable , franchise job opportunities that are created worldwide . In places were the job market is not as vast . If the shoe was on the other foot then i would like too see how you go about it..

Quote:
    But just saying that your initial remarks were flippant says that you had not a lot too back yourself up...

It works both ways ... like i said i was doing the same thing as yourself , apart from mine not being so flippant.

I did not initialy question you reasoning and for some reason your STILL questioning mine.

Like the last time we did this in the end you were not realy bothered either way . so why are you trying to get a finite answer out of me.

The only pasting i did was for another point about there french fries . If it is easier to do that then try and type a long winded text , what is wrong with that. Somebody has brought together all the information already and it answers a point.

And the links do say a lot ......... so what is wrong with that.

8. matthew

matthew Almost sexy

I have done more too explain my reasoning than most here (no offence) so get off my back...:)

9. DoktorAtomik

I'm not sure what you're saying here. Do you mean your defence of mcd's was flippant? I've not criticised you for flippancy (except where you've directed it towards me personally), so your point eludes me.

There's nothing wrong with you posting links to support your argument, but I still think you're missing the point. All I was trying to get out of you was your personal point of view. When you read a large volume of information, you presumably formulate an opinion. There's aspects with which you agree or disagree, and conclusions that you reach based on all you're read. This is what I wanted to know. Not what other websites think, or what mcd's think, or what anyone else thinks - I wanted to know your own personal opinion based on your understanding of the situation. You've slowly made this clear over the course of this thread, but I really fail to see what the big deal was with just saying "this is what I think". I wasn't looking for a definitive defence of mcd's. I wasn't asking you to justify yourself. I just wanted to know your personal opinion - the opinion that presumably led you to say "mcd's is a fine organisation" in the first instance.

10. matthew

matthew Almost sexy

You have a fair point , but why not just take it for what it was..ok so you questioned my thoughts thats alright . But realy its just a gut reaction and maybe even a reaction too people that say the opposite . Just saying the opposite to everyone else here does not make it any less valid..and you may not agree with what i said but basicaly i think MCD is a fine organisation because of the information that i have already provided ... granted i could have put all this in one post. Noboby else did so why should i.

11. matthew

matthew Almost sexy

Yes and No i was saying that out of flippancy...but i realy do think that way.. I am sure your realy not a big fan of McD thats why you said what you said.

12. matthew

matthew Almost sexy

Why are you wishing for me too explain myself then.????

13. DoktorAtomik

You're not obliged to explain yourself if you don't want to. But the majority of this 'debate' has been about whether you've explained your opinion. I've never said you had to. The flow went something like this:

You make a controversial statement.
    I ask you why you believe this.
    You post a load of links.
    I ask what your actual opinion is.
    An argument ensues over whether posting links constitutes an opinion or not.

I have at no point said that you're obliged to explain yourself.

You posted a expressing a point of view that runs contrary to the majority opinion on the veggie boards. As such, it was fairly controversial. I was therefore curious as to how you arrived at this conclusion. I have as much right to ask that question as you have to decline to answer it. If you don't wish to explain your point of view, then why not just say so?

14. matthew

matthew Almost sexy

Well now you have explained YOUR self i can see why your a bit bemused by my 'controversial' statement. I was trying to answer one question when you were looking for the answer too another...i see.

Being a Vegeterian i can also say that Mcdonalds is a fine organisation. i am not judging them on the fact that they serve meat..like i said

I can see were you might of thought i was contradicting myself or why you want an explanation...if you had asked that (in the first place)i may have explained myself a bit better.

Ok

Like most organisations of this size they sometimes are not aware of every detail of there business..i am just being rational and reasonable. whatever 'crimes' you may see them do its mostly boils down to a lack of individuals maintaining company policy . Like i said no real laws are broken apart from a few ethical ones . But like with the fries issue , they did not break the law just bend it in there favour..and now its been highlighted its been resolved.

Any confusion i may have about what i eat i ask and then double check ....not ask the person behind the counter . They should know , but knowing my look they would be a disgruntled employee ready and willing too be a new recruit of some pressure group.

I also said

My choice is not to eat meat , i don't wish to inflict my morales onto another .. every pressure group has its own agenda and a unreachable utopian dream. Wich i don't agree with. If people are picking on Mcdonalds why not pick on every outlet that serves meat....i can't remember too many protests out side Dewhursts.....

I also think saving whales and dolphins is a good thing but i also want to save all the fish as well... that would effect peoples lives so people that save whales/dolphins don't worry an awul lot about the fish...i might be horribly wrong , thats just my humble opinion.

15. Orsino2

Orsino2 Hip Forums Supporter HipForums Supporter

does this look strange to you? :p

16. matthew

matthew Almost sexy

I am disappointed DoktorAtomik ... not even 'your a mad bastard' ;) ...oh well.

17. DoktorAtomik

As I've pointed out before.... I have a life. I'm not available to answer your posts 24/7 I'm afraid.

I didn't think you were contradicting myself. I think I made my question perfectly clear on a number of occasions.... I was simply asking for you to explain your opinion. That's not particularly complicated.

Well excuse me, I kinda thought ethical laws were the most important ones? Isn't that the point of being a hippy? Questioning the status quo?

The reason for this is because mcd's are a large multinational organisation, with a particularly bad track record for exploiting the third world, maintaining poor standards in sourcing the meat that they buy, and promoting an unhealthy lifestyle.

18. matthew

matthew Almost sexy

Chill out .... i was online so i left a message thats all....

I am not a hippie ...... I don't want 2 cows being bred in the space were 1 should be brought up .... but however you bring up an animal ... the end result is the same. You can not stop meat production entirely (which i would not mind) because it effects human livelyhoods....

http://www.breakthechain.org/exclusives/mcbeef.html

I do honestly understand that killing animals is not the nicest thing in the world ... one of the reasons i gave it up..but i don't understand the shit that mcdonalds get.. Sorry for dousing this thread with a bit of cold water. Not realy my intention . It just possibly ended up that way.

19. DoktorAtomik

Chill out yourself, dude! When I have time to reply, I will. There's no need to nag.

That's not a rational argument. Would you say they couldn't close all the concentration camps because it would put gas oven makers out of business?

Your link doesn't work currently. But we could trade links all day. That's not how you have a discussion though.

20. matthew

matthew Almost sexy

Point taken - ok then - fair enough.

I am sure the link works , it did take a second or two too load... patience :)

If you want my own words then... the reason people bang on about mcdonalds is because they can....

If you want me too personaly (in my own words explain myself) i already have ... anything more is within the links , i personaly would be here hours regurgitating the information within the links . There not that hard to figure out . Don't play coy we me please :) .

I have done my bit now...its your turn .