Crafty old McDonalds.

Discussion in 'Vegetarian' started by FrozenMoonbeam, May 17, 2004.

1. DoktorAtomik

DoktorAtomik Closed For Business

Dude, I've read the bible. If someone asked me "why don't you believe in god", I'd answer their question - not direct them to read the bible.

Well you answer my question, and I'll answer yours, ok?

2. matthew

matthew Almost sexy

very well...

I personaly think they are a good company because of the information within the links i have provided. Those links have taken me too more information (not connected to the mcdonalds coporate site).

The last time i went to Mcdonalds the place was clean and tidy and the floor was not sticky...the decor was horrible sort of mexican (i think) anyway the people did not all smile (behind the counter). They looked like they were doing a job , not promoting the 'happy happy' image. They were very profesional and quick and the person serving me even managed a smile as i was pushed out of the way by another customer , probably found that funny i suppose :) .

The last time i checked underneath my bed Ronald was not there.

There is not a lot more than that i can do to see what the 'real' mcdonalds is like.

Any suggestions - greatly apreciated.

3. HappyHaHaGirl

HappyHaHaGirl *HipForums Princess*

Anyone can start something like Ronald McDonald house or do some charity for sick kids....it makes them look good so people like you get suckered into thinking they're good people with a good cause. They don't mention the tax breaks they get.... or how much of a cut they get out of the funds raised for the poor, sick little children....

"If they were that bad wouldn't they be closed by now?"

That's retarded. Do you think anyone achieves any kind of success by being "good?" The reason they make so much money and have stayed around for so long is because they use cheap, shitty products and sell them for a big profit, using employees that don't get paid shit for the "work" they're doing. They don't even take the time to train employees and don't give them anything to be excited about, which is why their service is so shitty. When you treat employees like they're disposable, they'll treat the job like it's disposable. It's the Kleenex Theory! :D

The McDonald's corporation is a sick, shameless money hungry organization that doesn't care about the health of it's customers or the quality of life of it's employees, only it's profit and image. Their goal isn't to make a healthy meal for people and have their happy, well-paid employees serve it to them with a smile, but to hand out cheap, heart-attack friendly crap with a pizza-faced frown, and taint as many neighborhoods in as many countries with the oppressive golden arches.

4. matthew

matthew Almost sexy

My post backs up my personal interpretation and so does yours.
    As the only 'connection' we have right now is the net...any informative sites or just were and how you found out these things i would like to know. I am not asking you too 'prove it' as such .... just sharing a bit of info .

My view however horrid it may be is that the child that is touched by the charitable acts of mcdonalds does not go through the morale mindfield we may . They probably could not care less , is that selfish of them.

5. matthew

matthew Almost sexy

I have done my best too answer..

6. matthew

matthew Almost sexy

I don't see it as retarded because ultimatly they would be out of business...even presidents get impeached.

7. DoktorAtomik

But certainly very naive. Do you really think that a company has to produce a qulaity product in order to stay in business? Though of course, you've never actually bothered to explain what you mean by 'if they were that bad'. What aspect of their alleged badnesss are you suggesting would have led to them being closed down, were it true?

If that's your best, then I don't even know why you're bothering posting here, because it doesn't look as though you can even make the effort to explain yourself properly. Apart from posting a few links and telling us that mcd's is clean, you've done nothing clarify your original statement: "Mcdonalds is a fine organisation .... ". If you can't support your arguments (or at least make an attempt to do so), then there's not much point in posting them.

8. matthew

matthew Almost sexy

And this is a real intelectual inditment of Mcdonalds ...... i think not.

Mcdonalds is never going to get a michelin star for food quality... and i very much doubt they want one...the food is ok , not brilliant but ok.

you no like BREAKING LAWS...sure they get taken to court every now and again...quite rightly. They do not break business related laws that every company has to abide by...this is what i mean by if they were that bad they would be out of business.

Quote:

I have done my best too answer..

your funny because you gave me a question and i did my best to answer...what more do you want ???

Come on then hot shot tell me the the other side of the coin...if you can be bothered that is.

9. matthew

matthew Almost sexy

why did it take so long for you to too respond..........in such a unproductive way.

10. DoktorAtomik

No shit, Sherlock. It was an opinion. I don't recall ever suggesting it was a carefully crafted critique. Oh, and no offence here.... just a pointer..... but if you're going to try taking the piss out of someone with a sentence featuring the words "intellectual" and "indictment", you might at least want to spell them correctly.

LOL, OK, good point. Mcd's don't break many business related laws, therefore they're great. Are you suggesting therefore that any company that's never been shut down by the courts is a paragon of moral righteousness?

But you haven't. You've said "Mcdonalds is a fine organisation ...." and then failed to explain what you mean by this, apart from the fact that the floors are clean and the staff are human. That hardly qualifies as an explanation.

No. I can't be bothered. If you're not going to make the effort to explain your point of view, then I'm certainly not going to make the effort to rebut an argument that you haven't even constructed yet!

11. DoktorAtomik

Uhhhh..... I have a life. Sorry. And I don't find your posts particularly productive either. Perhaps you might want to try refraining from throwing around insults, and try having a discussion instead?

12. matthew

matthew Almost sexy

:) spelling is not my strong point......and i probably could have looked up the correct spelling . This does not make me thick. I was not taking the piss just saying that you like to have plenty of stuff to pull apart ...almost setting someone up for a fall...thats not fair.

so was mine....

No...why do they need to be , this whole thread works on the notion that mcdonalds is evil....its not.

:) so do i....but i could have knocked up your response in about a minute.

Ok so I have too make a crystalline defense of my thinking but YOU don't. I thought that was the case from the start...glad we cleared that up.

13. matthew

matthew Almost sexy

I could say the same too you .... but i am a nice person :)

14. Kiz

Kiz Member

McDonalds fries are not vegetarian in Australia, and quite a number of other countries. These fries contain beef-derived flavourint.

15. matthew

matthew Almost sexy

Its true..

Published on Friday, May 4, 2001 in the Boston Globe
    McDonald's Confirms Its French Fries Are Made With Beef Extract
    by Eli Sanders
    SEATTLE - Facing a class-action lawsuit from angry vegetarians, McDonald's this week confirmed that its French fries are prepared with beef extract, a disclosure the company said is not new.

Although the fast-food giant has been saying since 1990 that its fries are cooked in pure vegetable oil, company spokesman Walt Riker said Wednesday that McDonald's never said its fries were appropriate for vegetarians and always told customers that their flavor comes partly from beef.

[​IMG]
    A class action suit has been filed for ''emotional distress'' caused to vegetarians, some of them vegetarian for religious reasons, who thought McDonald's fries were in line with their strong feelings about not eating meat.

[​IMG]

The list of French-fry ingredients that McDonald's offers at its franchises and on its Web site includes potatoes, partially hydrogenated soybean oil and ''natural flavor.'' The list does not mention that the ''natural flavor'' comes from beef. To discover that, one would have to contact a McDonald's customer-satisfaction representative.

Harish Bharti, the Seattle lawyer who filed the suit against McDonald's Tuesday, said the confirmation that the company uses beef extract to flavor its fries validates his case.

Bharti argues that a reasonable person who heard that McDonald's fries are prepared in ''100 percent vegetable oil'' and read the list of ingredients would assume the food is suitable for vegetarians.

Yesterday, after news of his suit spread across the nation, Bharti said he was receiving hundreds of calls from vegetarians who think they were misled by McDonald's and want to join the suit. Some of them, he said, say they were told by McDonald's employees that the fries were vegetarian.

Beef extract, not beef tallow, as the suit alleges, is the only natural flavor in McDonald's French fries, Riker said. Asked why the company simply did not write ''beef extract'' on its list of ingredients, he replied, ''It's a good question. We're sensitive to all our customers' needs and concerns. We try to be as forthcoming and user-friendly as possible. We'll review it. We'll take a look at it.''

He added that using ''natural flavor'' as a synonym for beef extract is within federal Food and Drug Administration guidelines.

McDonald's French fries are essentially cooked twice. Central suppliers wash, steam-peel, cut, blanch, dry, par-fry and then freeze the potatoes that make the famous golden slivers. During the par-frying, ''a minuscule amount of beef extract is added,'' the company said.

Later, after being shipped to McDonald's franchises, the frozen fries are cooked in pure vegetable oil.

However, in countries such as India, where large numbers of people are vegetarian for religious reasons, McDonald's suppliers do not add beef extract to the fries, Riker said.

Bharti's suit seeks unspecified damages for the ''emotional distress'' caused to vegetarians, some of them vegetarian for religious reasons, who thought McDonald's fries were in line with their strong feelings about not eating meat.

Bharti said McDonald's contention that the information was available to people if they had only asked is insulting.

''Not only did they deceive these people,'' he said. ''Now they are claiming that all these people were deceived because they were stupid. This adds insult to injury.''
    © Copyright 2001 Globe Newspaper​

McDonald's fries cost $10M
    Chain to pay vegetarians, Hindus for not disclosing it used beef flavoring in French fries.
    June 5, 2002: 5:43 PM EDT

[​IMG] NEW YORK (CNN/Money) - McDonald's Corp. said it would pay $10 million to Hindu, vegetarian and other groups more than a year after a Seattle lawyer sued the fast-food chain, alleging it failed to disclose the use of beef flavoring in its French fries.

The disclosure of the payment and an apology was made in a June 1 press release.

[​IMG][​IMG]

[​IMG][​IMG]The world's largest restaurant chain said it "sincerely apologizes to Hindus, vegetarians and others" for improperly describing its fries and hash browns sold in the United States as vegetarian.

The company began calling the products vegetarian after it began using vegetable oil to help reduce cholesterol in the early 1990s, but the fries and hash browns themselves contain a small amount of beef flavoring added during potato processing at plants.

"We regret we did not provide these customers with complete information, and we sincerely apologize for any hardship that these miscommunications have caused," the release said.

McDonald's payment and apology are part of a wider settlement of five class-action lawsuits charging that the company had misled consumers by wrongly describing its French fries as vegetarian.

The settlement is in line with the terms of a draft agreement reached in March, but McDonald's said at the time that it was premature to comment about a possible deal.

The chain also said it has created an advisory panel on vegetarian and other dietary practices as part of the settlement. The group, including experts in consumer dietary practices, plans to advise McDonald's on relevant dietary restrictions and guidelines.

[​IMG] McDonald's first apologized for "confusion" about beef flavoring used in the fries in May 2001 after Seattle lawyer Harish Bharti sued the company, accusing the chain of deception in its claims of cooking fries in 100 percent vegetable oil.

At the time, company officials disclosed the small amounts of beef flavoring used in the fries and hash browns.

Oak Brook, Ill.-based McDonald's said it was not required by the U.S. Food and Drug Administration to reveal the use of beef flavoring, and that it didn't use the substance in fries sold at restaurants in India or predominantly Hindu countries. Hindus abstain from beef for religious reasons.

The lawsuit by Bharti, a practicing Hindu, came just a month after McDonald's said its first-quarter profit fell 16 percent, hurt by concerns about the safety of the beef in its hamburgers during a scare that mad cow disease had entered the United States.

The settlement is not the first McDonald's has paid out to customers. In August 1994 a jury found McDonald's coffee was unreasonably dangerous after a woman was burned when the coffee spilled on her lap. The judge rendered a punitive damage award of $2.7 million, which was lowered to $480,000 on appeal and eventually settled for an undisclosed amount less than $600,000.

Do you need an extra element of informed information before eating at such places..the answer should be NO...but sadly the answer is YES. I think they have paid the price and have had there wrists slapped , we all make errors this was just a bloody huge one .​

16. matthew

matthew Almost sexy

01/22/2003

New York Obesity Lawsuit Dismissed

Statement from McDonald's Corporation

We trusted the court to use its common sense to dismiss this claim.
    That's exactly what the judge has done. Common sense has prevailed.

We said from the beginning that this was a frivolous lawsuit. Today's ruling confirms that fact.

McDonald's will continue to offer a menu of quality and variety that gives customers a wide range of choices. McDonald's has been providing nutrition information about our food for the past 30 years so that customers can make informed choices about what they decide to eat.

McDonald's food can fit into a healthy, well-balanced diet based upon the choice and variety available on our menu.

--Walt Riker
    Spokesman, McDonald's Corporation
    Oak Brook, Illinois

[​IMG]

He must have the worst job in the world...almost.

17. DoktorAtomik

I never said it did. What I said was given the nature of your remarks, it would have been wise to spell your comments correctly - considering the criticism that you were making.

Yes, but you were criticising my argument. I was pointing out that the 'argument' that you were criticising was not an argument at all, but rather an opinion. I hadn't set out to make the 'intelectual inditment of Mcdonalds' that you accused me of failing to make.

It woulda been kinda hard to do that when I was in the pub, or later on when I was in bed having sex with my girlfriend. We get on very well, but I doubt she'd have been very happy if I said "hang on hun, I'll be back shortly.... I've got to respond to a post on the hip forums. Don't worry though, it'll only take a minute".

Not at all. The minute you actually bother to give me a case to which to respond, then I'll do so. If your entire effort consists of posting links, then I'm not going to take the time to respond to you.

Dude, you're the one who started throwing insults around (and is continuing to do so).
    [/i]

18. matthew

matthew Almost sexy

That maybe how i ended up but like you i just put my 2 pennys worth in. Nothing more nothing less. I could and probably should have asked from the start what makes people think Mcdonalds is so bad..Thus giving me information . Silly as i am i did not do that and instead i feel like i am at the salem wich trials for speaking out of turn. :)

Like i said i did my best...if thats not good enough for you then......thats fair enough. If you can find the time between shagging the missus and erm shagging the missus i would not mind if you could tell me why mcdonalds is so bad .:)

19. matthew

matthew Almost sexy

I could say the same too you .... but i am a nice person [​IMG] Dude, you're the one who started throwing insults around (and is continuing to do so).

I am not throwing any insults around ...well if i am they are prety obviouse and not meant in any way nasty. You have done a good job of throwing a few my way as well so were possibly even.

20. matthew

matthew Almost sexy

why are we argueing bye the way.....:confused: