Craft Sale Season

Discussion in 'Fashion and Crafts' started by Fizzyliftingdrink, May 22, 2004.

1. Fizzyliftingdrink

Fizzyliftingdrink Member

I can't wait to get out and sell my crafts.
    I want to get out and see my crafty friends that I have made through the years.
    Does anyone else here go to craft/art shows to sell your stuff? What do you think about it? Some people don't like it, they feel like they are "whoreing" themselves. I like it, I like hearing what people think about my crafts.
    Please share any craft show experiences that you have!

2. nimh

nimh ~foodie~

what kind of crafts do you do?

3. morningsong347

morningsong347 Member

I love craft festivals and stuff!! You meet very interesting people! Most are eager to talk to ya and share ideas!! I never had time to make stuff to sell at one, but my mom used to. I went with her to all her shows, and it's really thrilling to here compliments all day ;)

When isn't it fun to be around people who share the same passions as you?

4. Fizzyliftingdrink

Fizzyliftingdrink Member

I do tye dye, batik, and I make beaded jewelry. My mom makes pottery and sells it to, I do a bit of that, but I'm trying to focus on dyeing and jewelry, to get better at it.

5. kitty fabulous

kitty fabulous smoked tofu

i usally barter stuff at starwood. this year i may be sharing vendor space. i make altar pentacles, hemp jewelry, sole-less sandals, and i paint tarot and trinket boxes. i just got a local shop to carry my stuff.

6. Hipmoon

Hipmoon Member

I think I have pretty much given up on craft shows. I went to a few recently (not including one at my daughter's school) that were just horrible.

I think the problem with craft fairs, unless they are juried, is that they always have too many of the same kinds of products and shoppers don't want to pay what handmades are really worth. They always make the remark that oh this is so cheap to make I could do it.... or I can't believe people actually sell these handmades for this price. They just don't seem to understand the work involved in handmade items.

I'm sticking with my online store and just not worrying about fairs anymore.

7. warpedsoaper

warpedsoaper eternal optimist

Yeah craft shows ar hit and misss. Ilove the aspect of getting out and meeting other folks that have similar interests. I always find myself leaving feeling positive whether I sold a lot or not. I prefer to do the bigger music festivals in spring and summer but I don't mind making extra cash froms smaller venues in between. I f I don't do shows I tend to accumulate way too much stock in the house and my husband starts to complain.

8. mountaingirl94

mountaingirl94 Member

I've done a few craft show, I like the ones that only allow handmade goods. Where I live the craft shows are loaded with country theme woodcrafts, and that's what people are looking for, so my stuff did not always do so well. I love to vend music festivals! It covers my cost for the weekend usually a few extra dollars, you meet the greatest people!!

9. Fizzyliftingdrink

Fizzyliftingdrink Member

I went to a christmas craft sale this weekend. It's wasn't just christmas crafts. It was a lot of Native crafts because I live on a reserve, but there was one guy who had a table set up and was selling those stupid little square charms and lance armstron bracelets. I complained to the organizers of the event.