Cowboy and Indian day. Should I talk to the teacher? AGAIN?

Discussion in 'Parenting' started by Levi, May 26, 2004.

1. Megara

Megara Banned

From your very own mouth. Did you ever think that it could be for *gasp* FUN? I know we all dont have fond memories of school, but you yourself said it was a theme day. This is NOT how they were teaching about native americans. Their representation of native american history is not "COWBOYS AND INDIANS." It is a freaking DRESSUP day for FUN. Did you complain about "silly hat day" Surely that wasnt the most constructive way for kids to learn.

As for someone who doesnt care about my opinion, you sure have made a number of posts to me. I'll take it that you dont care by not responding further.

I wasnt aware that the Parenting forum and the "Women's issues" forum were for just women and parents. Maybe you should have skip make a note so no one elses wanders in. I'm sorry that it offends you that perhaps, men have an interest in Womens Issues and parenting issues.

2. sweatininthesouth

sweatininthesouth Member

Levi, I really respect what you're doing and what you are trying to teach your daughter. I think the stereotyping at school is really uncalled for and the Indian culture could be taught to children using more positive methods. Like some previous poster wrote, no one puts on "black face" to portray Afro-American culture. The same respect should be shown to the Indian culture as well.

Sure, the kiddies will have a blast dressing up like cowboys and indians but is that really what we want our kids to be doing in school? Sounds like a big goof-off party to me. Those teachers should be taking the kids on a field trip to an Indian reservation to see how indians really live, what they look like, how their dress is different now than what is portrayed in the history books. Schools and teachers should enlighten kids, not perpetuate the myth.

3. drumminmama

drumminmama Super Moderator Super Moderator

Levi, in all the ethnic brouhaha your post brought up, I noticed that your daughter, in a public school, has coloring sheets connecting bibles, guns and churches.

I'd expect that here in the Colorado Plains (heck, I see it)

Anyway, do talk to the teacher, principal and curriculum coordinator then work up to the superintendent and school board. Chain of command all the way.
    A letter to the editor will help somewhat, but schools often get intractable when a fight is made "public." Hold it as an offensive move right before a board meeting.
    As a reporter, I hate to see a whiny letter hit the press, because the districts will clam up.
    Suggest Wild West day or Bear Republic day instead (that leaves a lot more open and is a bit less sexist than cowBOY day. Who really comes as Sacajawea? or even Cynthia Parker? mom to Quanah Parker- white, captured at 9, married well, recaptured by whites as an adult...died of a broken heart, so the story goes and opens up to the MANY cultures that made California) and see if a local Native American dance troupe could perform. Or a drummer and flutist.
    Nothing wrong with learning, but geez, a teacher should have a lesson behind something like this.
    I like the dress-up days at my son's school, but I'd like to see them be literature or historical characters. Wonder how many Newtons we could get...hahahahhahahaha.

4. Maggie Sugar

Maggie Sugar Senior Member

Not a joke, but the fact that "American Culture" is made up of the people who came here from other places, plus the cultures of the people who were here, previously. You can't seem to indentify American Culture, without ridiuclous things like the Stooges and TV. I think American culture is more diverse, more eclectic, more influenced by the people who came from somewhere else and LESS trivial than how you described it. I hope our European and Aussie freinds on this site don't think your description is what most Americans think of their own culture. I, along with many, would be ashamed, if this is what MY country was about. But luckily, it isn't.

As for Cowboy and Indian day. Perhaps we should let the kids have a "Nigga and Massa" day, we can teach them nothing more about the Antebellum period than is cliche, and we can let the kids "have a good time" doing that. Sheesh.

If history is to be taught in our schools, it should be accurate as well as sensitive to those who were harmed by "american culture" in the past and the present. ALL the actual parents on this forum feel that way.

5. sweatininthesouth

sweatininthesouth Member

My mother-in-law (native southerner) has some hoop skirts in the attic you can borrow for this "play" day. I don't think this would go over very well here in the deep south....unless ya wanna get popped in the ass with a bullet.

I totally agree Maggie. Seems that some people "pick and choose" what groups should be respected (i.e. "let's respect the blacks and Asians, but not the Indian culture"). I still think that teacher outta spend some time on a reservation. Maybe she'd have more respect for the Indian culture.

6. Misha

Misha Member

I could not have said it better myself.