Court Ruling on Big Tobacco in Louisiana

Discussion in 'Random Thoughts' started by dhs, Jun 3, 2004.

1. dhs

dhs Senior Member

This happened a couple of weeks ago, but essentially the state of Louisiana sued the tobacco companies and won I believe $590 million from them to support programs over the next 10 years to help people quit. Essentially the Supreme court ruled that these companies knowlingly developed and marketed a highly addictive and dangerous product. The money will go towards providing people nicotine patches etc as well as counseling programs to help them quit.

What are your feelings on this? Personally I think its great. I am a smoker and I hate it - I've tried to quit numerous times and have so far not been succesful. To me I find tobacco to be the most addictive substance on the planet - I've tried most every drug out there and abused at times many of them - not something I'm proud of, but nothing has literally 'owned' me like cigarettes. I can remember Garcia once saying that he had a harder time quitting cigarettes then herion - then ofcourse he died from a heroin habbit.

In my attempts to quit I've probably spent hundreds on patches, gum you name it. I've been able to afford this, but many cannot afford these aids and I think this ruling is a very positive thing to help these people.

What are your thoughts? Should RJ Reynolds be paying for your selected treatment if you want to quit?

2. BraveSirRubin

BraveSirRubin Members

i disagree with this ruling.

You started smoking, you should be responsible, you knew of the consequences... do not tell me that you didn't.

I'm a smoker... a more passive one lately, i cut down alot.. without any help from other chemicals... be strong, do it by yourself....

3. freeinalaska

freeinalaska Hip Forums Supporter HipForums Supporter

I have to agree with bravesirruebin. Not that I think big tobacco are a great bunch of guys, but I certainly knew tobacco was harmful when I started smoking over 20 years ago.

4. dhs

dhs Senior Member

I am not suggesting that I was unaware of the harmful effects smoking has on one's health. I also agree that it is something I need to do for myself. However, I do think many more people in the United States would attempt to quit should they have support with counseling and other products. I wasn't necessarily personalizing this for my own benefit. and Rubin, not everyone has the ability to be on again off again smoker like yourself. I know plenty of people who are so called 'social' smokers, but others who struggle with quitting - so just because you have a certain experience doesn't mean thats its the same for others.

5. Fractual_

Fractual_ cosmos factory

it doesnt really surprise me.

are they forcing the people to quit, or is it an option?

6. nimh

nimh ~foodie~

590 mil over 10 yrs isnt much for the big tobac companies to fork out. and they'll probably end up making money off of this somehow. isnt that usually how things work?

7. crummyrummy

crummyrummy Brew Your Own Beer Lifetime Supporter

I say screw the state . It has said for at least 35 years right on every pack or can or pouch of tobacco that it will kill you and create health problems. if I get hit by a bus that I intentionally walk in front of, can my parents/daughter sue the manufacturer of the bus?

8. BraveSirRubin

BraveSirRubin Members

Exactly. This is just another case of polit-correctness at work.

9. Fractual_

Fractual_ cosmos factory

i dont think everyone was as intent as you all think on 'walking in front of the bus'

10. crummyrummy

blah blah, they sell bleach, if you drink it and die, no one is responsible. Tobacco smokers are responsible for their own medical bills. just cuzz when you are a teenager, you refuse to accept that bad things can from your actions, does not make a tobacco company responsible. Read the fucking labels.

11. Fractual_

Fractual_ cosmos factory

i d think the tobbaco companies should share some of that responsibility though...

12. crummyrummy

so should the bleach companies

13. antithesis

antithesis Hello

I don't really think that much about it either way since I am not a smoker and so it doesn't really affect me. But I guess that I disagree with it. People need to take responsibility for themselves.

14. BraveSirRubin

BraveSirRubin Members

Would you like to enlighten us with a "Why do you thin so" ?

15. missfontella

missfontella Mama of Da Assassins

I don't really think the tobacco companies should have to pay money for medical bills and stuff. I think them helping people quit is reasonable. Even though it was common knowledge that smoking caused cancer, the tobacco industry maintained for years that it did not. Talk about responsibility, they should have to take some responsibilty for their lie.

16. olhippie54

olhippie54 Touch Of Grey Lifetime Supporter

I don't smoke and I don't chew and I don't go with girls who do.

17. Fractual_

Fractual_ cosmos factory

well...

consider the subliminal aspect of it, all of the advertising and pushing that goes on. the tobacco companies did make it possible for these people to become addicted, after all

18. crummyrummy

damn, yer a product of yer generation. Get this through your head...IT IS YOUR OWN FAULT IF YOU SMOKE AND GET TERMINALLY ILL BECAUSE OF IT. YOU ARE ULTIMATELY RESPONSIBLE FOR YOUR ACTIONS, NOT YOUR FRIENDS, NOT SOME FACELESS CORPERATION YOU THINK TAKES TOO MUCH OF YOUR MONEY. YOU ARE RESPONSIBLE FOR YOUR OWN MEDICAL BILLS. IF YOU CANT PAY THEM BEFORE YOU DIE, YOUR RELATIVES WILL HAVE TO (such is the system, credit card bills too). IF YOU ARE NOT CONSIDERATE ENOUGH TO TRY AND PREVENT ANY OF THESE EXPENSES, THEN ITS YOUR FAULT, AND SAID RELATIVES SHOULD CURSE YOUR MEMORY. do you really think SCHMIRNOFF should be responsible for Ted Kennedy killing that girl? By being old enough to purchase said products, or ingenuitive enough to get them underage, you are proving you have the mental capacity to understand the consequences. Try to avoid this "VICTIM" mentality Jerry Springer and Montel Williams forces on you.

19. luvndrumn

luvndrumn Hip Forums Supporter HipForums Supporter

Soooooo.....
    If you received financial aid from the state/fed/big tobacco (is there a little tobacco??) and you kicked, and then, oh say, five years later, you started back again, would you have to give back the money? Would the state/fed/big tobacco have to do you all over again? Anybody want to bet I can (you can too) find a lawyer that will say "Yes"?

I smoked one-and-a-half to two packs of Marlboros a day for 5+ years. Kicking them was one of the hardest things I've done. But kick 'em I did. Anyone can. All you need is incentive. Mine was a blood pressure of 165/96, at twenty-five years old. That ain't good (I'm a master of understatement). I got that reading and went cold turkey. Took me months. You can do it, and you don't need the government's help, or big tobacco, or Nicorete, or the patch. It is inside you.

20. Fractual_

Fractual_ cosmos factory

i wouldnt exactly consider myself a product of my generation... but i still think tobbaco companies are part to blame, exactly how moral are these companies anyway? they push a dangerous product, a lot.

you do make your own choices, and choose your own consequences. but the 'products of my generation' dont really wake up to that