Countering Fascism in Black Metal

Discussion in 'Heavy Metal' started by GuerrillaLorax, Aug 26, 2018.

1. Irminsul

Irminsul Valkyrie

It's just that to me being of Asatru faith and racist is condescending because in Norse we have lots of races of beings from giants to dwarves and so on, and these are in cases our friends and such that help us in our journeys so to be a racist follower of the Norse doesn't sit well with me too much.

I swear people don't even think about these things sometimes, but the fact is Oden, Thor and so on, embraced culture and racial awareness.

Last edited: Apr 17, 2019
  2. Irminsul

Irminsul Valkyrie

As for the flag and symbology I think you're wrong big time, I don't think people "pretend" to be racist by using flags or symbology, the truth is many symbols represent many cultural aspects of culture. It's really the ardent hatred from non racists that make a big deal about it. When I see a sun cross depicted on a shirt or a tattoo or anything I don't thing racist Nazi, swastika. I see it for what it is, a sun cross. A representation of the sun. I look at a confederate flag as a flag with 13 stars that represented American states, not slavery. I look at the iron Cross as a declaration of courage, Not racism. I look at Lemmy as a man who's into history and honours history, not a neo nazi.

But really it's up to your personal interpretations I'm not gonna tell you what to think, but I will say that, if you aren't going to look into the cultural significance of these symbols and what they might mean to an individual and you're just going to ridicule them without knowing that personal connection said individual happens to have with that symbol, then I think that's just rediculous and unfair, Judgemental, petty and prudish.

3. Irminsul

Irminsul Valkyrie

Bands like Helrunar had to state that just because they sang in Deutsch about Norse that they weren't racist, Amon Amarth accused of being Nazis for writing a song called friends of the sun cross albeit having an Indian drummer.

The sun is very important in Norse mythology, it was very important to the Vikings so, there's representations of the sun on the form of a swastika, usually curved and the Nazis didn't use that depiction so it's just ill education for others that look at it and cast judgement about things they don't understand really and it's a shame.

4. Asmodean

Asmodean Slo motion rider

Much to respond to in seriousness (to both GuerrillaLorax and Irminsul) but I will later. Going outside now enjoy the sun!

But Irms :p Were you aware you were switching from NSBM to BDSM:
    ^
    I was rereading the thread and that's mainly why I reacted to this post again ;) with this:
    :p

But since you responded to that post again while focussing on the actual point, you did use that term again :grinning: not sure if you noticed:
    I mean I guess we all agree them possibly being into BDSM isn't questionable :-D

5. Irminsul

Irminsul Valkyrie

Rofl. :tearsofjoy::tearsofjoy:
    No i didn't realise I had done that.
    There probably is some kinky BDSM metal.
    I'm just going test my auto correct by typing nsbm

:tearsofjoy::tearsofjoy: yep, kink on the mind.

GuerrillaLorax and Asmodean like this.
  6. GuerrillaLorax

GuerrillaLorax along the peripheries of civilization

It's funny, I randomly came across this video after our debate.

7. Irminsul

Irminsul Valkyrie

When I first heard Jungsturm I was like HOLY SHITBALLS! :p just the dudes vocals was so aggressive and angry which is what I like in metal. I think these guys could play this anti fascist gig and all the protest people would run away in terror at the sheer wall of noise. :p

8. Eric_R_70

Eric_R_70 Members

Interesting thread and comments. I'm not sure if anyone here is familiar with Varg Vikernes. He has extreme far right political views. I'm sure he would be considered fascist. there is a small following of Neo-Nazis but a lot of artists think they are idiots. I have a thread about the dangers of a 4th Reich. Just throwing that out there.-Erik

9. Asmodean

That his music and its themes just happen to appeal to a lot of far right wing people doesn't makes his music fascist or neonazi.
    That he (and perhaps a part of his audience) has fascist convictions is no good reason to say black metal should be barred from concert halls and venues etc. That would indeed be a fascistic measure.

10. Eric_R_70

Eric_R_70 Members

I'm not talking about banning or barring. That's censorship. He can express his views all he wants.

11. Asmodean

I acknowledge. It's just that the thread is about countering fascism in black metal, but this too easily crosses over in misjudging and/or censoring black metal itself because of its controversial themes or the political convictions of the band members.
    People are allowed to have extremist convictions. A person like Varg Vikernes crossed the line with actions like arson and murder, not with his black metal music. Certain people conflate the two.

12. Irminsul

Irminsul Valkyrie

God I've had to refrain myself for weeks from posting 4th Reich Fighting Men lyrics by Skrewdriver I think in that thread. I mean really have to like force myself not to.