Countdown To Parliament's Brexit Vote

Discussion in 'U.K.' started by Joshua Tree, Dec 8, 2018.

1. Rots in hell

Rots in hell Senior Member

See I had a Beer !

2. Joshua Tree

Joshua Tree Remain In Light

I do think the EU shot itself in the foot by not taking the UK's concerns about further integration seriously. Germany and France were the drivers, and they were complacent in assuming everyone else would follow suit regardless, or thought they could steamroller us into acquiescence.

3. Rots in hell

They Didnt Care what the UK thought ! Probably still dont

4. BlackBillBlake

BlackBillBlake resigned HipForums Supporter

I think that's nonsense. Te Eu bent over backwards back in the John Major era to gove us a special deal. Even now it isn't on;y oue financial stability that's threatened by this brexit crap, but theirs too.
    I'm certain that many Europeans would be more than happy to have us remain in the EU.

If you are one of those leavers who thought they'd allow the UK to 'have its cake and eat it' that was really never going to happen.

5. Rots in hell

It was Thatcher that Got us a better deal with the EU in 84 ! But most EU countries want to overturn that and have us pay even more !
    I am one of the Leavers that wants nothing to do with that cake (as I keep saying here ) and there are a lot of us !

6. Rots in hell

7. Joshua Tree

Joshua Tree Remain In Light

For example, the EU president was proposing an European army back in 2015:

My feeling is the EU is tending politically towards a Superstate. Whether that's a good or a bad thing obviously depends on your own point of view. But I think the Commission's political agenda has been running ahead of some of the member states.

8. BlackBillBlake

Pesonally, I'd wellcome a fully federal European superstate.

I think small countries like this, with declining economies will be easy prey for the Chinese later this century. As a big conglomerate Europe would have much more chance of holding its own. I don't mean in a war, but economically.

We would probably be much better off with a unified European army too. I read that it's estimated that the Russians for instance could wipe out our conventional air defences in around 45 minutes.

9. jonny2mad

jonny2mad Senior Member

for immigration labour or any left wing party are no good because they want to import voters and also make conditions worse for the working class although thats not what they tell people. actually you could look at how the percentage of the working class voting labour has gone down, because they are doing things that the working class know are not in their interest, this is why they have switched to identity politics . The conservatives are also no good on immigration maybe ukip or someone righter than the conservatives would be different but they may well morph if they got power . Another thing to look at would be how both partys run up national debt when in power even though thats not in the uk national interest . what you have is a problem inherent in democracy . its short term and all about getting power anyway the whole system is faulty Labour lost the working-class vote a long time ago | Coffee House

10. BlackBillBlake

So what's your solution? You don't seem very forthcoming about that.

11. Rots in hell

Brexit is supposed to Be the Solution !

12. Rots in hell

13. BlackBillBlake

If it ever happens.

But assuming it does, I don't think it will solve anything. Nearly all our problems are home grown and caused by successive British governments. Underlying it all is the fact that Britain has been in steady decline since that other great and tragic historical mistake, the First World War. It's just that the politicos are afraid to tell the truth - even if they have any notion of it, which in a lot of cases I don't think is so. A lot of them seem very uninformed about the facts of history, or they subscribe to a distorted populist idea of it.

14. Rots in hell

What are you talking about the British economy is doing Better than most at the moment

15. Rots in hell

You mean Like us Writing off the German War Debt of 3.6 trillion in 1990 and ud still having To pay America off for the Lend lease ?
    “enable the united Germany to have full sovereignty over its internal and external affairs”.

16. BlackBillBlake

It's called 'punching above your weight'.

17. McFuddy

McFuddy Visitor

Hey don’t drag us into this...

18. BlackBillBlake

I hope it went down well.

I don't see any point in continuing to bicker like this. You have your view, and I accept you're entitled to it, I have mine, and I don't see any movement on either side as likely.
    Just have to agree to differ, As I suspect will this entire country, given the depth of division this brexit malarkey has caused.

19. tumbling.dice

tumbling.dice Visitor

Why don't you all join us? You could be the 51st state.

20. Asmodean

Asmodean Slo motion rider

Better than most 3rd and 2nd world countries? :grinning:

You should keep in mind why UK is doing relatively good at the moment. Will a hard no deal Brexit add to it?