Could We Be Terraformed?

Discussion in 'Weird, Bizarre and Mysterious' started by Jimbee68, Nov 2, 2018.

1. Jimbee68

Jimbee68 Member

I am fascinated by Fermi's Paradox, the seeming contradiction that we have never had contact with advanced alien life.

I am sure they exist. So where the heck are they?

Anyways, one possible explanation is the Zoo Hypothesis: Zoo hypothesis - Wikipedia I wonder if you can take it a step further. What if we were terraformed by an advanced alien race long ago? And we in fact are the aliens here, so to speak?

Just one theory.

:grinning::grinning::grinning:

Asmodean likes this.
  2. guerillabedlam

guerillabedlam _|=|-|=|_

Ancient Astronaut Theorists say...

3. soulcompromise

soulcompromise Member HipForums Supporter

We're mammals. Part of the order of primates. We're basically monkeys or related to monkeys in significant ways.. I don't know.

4. guerillabedlam

guerillabedlam _|=|-|=|_

We're great apes... taxonomically classified along with Bonobos/Chimps, Gorillas, and Orangutans.

One of the generalized distinctions between monkeys and apes is lack of a tail in the latter.

tumbling.dice and soulcompromise like this.
  5. soulcompromise

soulcompromise Member HipForums Supporter

Oh... I see. I'm sorry. I was under the impression that we were simply elaborate monkeys. I now see that we are actually apes. lmao

6. guerillabedlam

guerillabedlam _|=|-|=|_

One of the crazier things to ponder which I recently read is assuming it to be accurate... apparently we have some genetic components which are closer to both bonobos and chimpanzees, than bonobos are to chimpanzees on said components.

That's not to say our entire genetic makeup is closer, it's something like < 5%, but still fascinating.

In some respects, It's difficult to really compare us due to the scale of our civilization and maybe it's a bit anthropocentric but I feel our intelligence and ability to abstract our environment is far beyond other great apes, but from what I understand of chimp and bonobo behavior, socially we're kind of like a hybrid. Chimps get violent and fight and Bonobos have promiscuous sex.

Last edited: Nov 2, 2018
    soulcompromise likes this.
  7. Why haven't they contacted us, yet? We're really good, I think.

EloiseAtThePlaza likes this.
  8. Irminsul

Irminsul Valkyrie

No no, it's "suggest". :p

Ancient astronaut theorists suggest that...

Oh actually no you may be tight too. Nevermind. Good job. :)

guerillabedlam likes this.
  9. Tyrsonswood

Tyrsonswood Senior Moment Lifetime Supporter

[​IMG]

Ged and Running Horse like this.
  10. I'minmyunderwear

I'minmyunderwear Newbie

"In terms of the number of solar systems present in the universe, there are something like 300 billion stars in the Milky Way, so if 10 per cent of them have planets there are around 30 billion planets in our galaxy alone, and there are over 100 billion galaxies in the observable Universe for a total of something in the order of 10^21 (that's 1 then 21 zeros) planets in the observable Universe. There is still quite a bit of uncertainty in that number however, and we don't yet know how many of them would look like our solar system."

How many solar systems are there? | Institute of Astronomy

11. Irminsul

Irminsul Valkyrie

Earth didn't actually need to be Terraformed as it already had the key properties for oxygen and is why the Annunaki could splash down in the Mesopotamian water as fish gods. :)

guerillabedlam likes this.
  12. Asmodean

Asmodean Slo motion rider

I did terraform your moms ass last night, so yes.

13. tumbling.dice

tumbling.dice Visitor

People fail to consider the vast distances involved in hypothetical interstellar communication. The first radio broadcast occurred on December 24, 1906 or about 100 years ago. So 100 light years distant is the limit on distance we could reasonably hope to communicate with aliens so far. There are roughly 1,500 stars of spectral types G and K within this sphere. For communication to happen there would have to be intelligent life around one of these stars, their radio antennas would have to be focused in Earth's direction when our signal arrived, they must decide to reply and then we must have our radio dish antennas pointed in their direction when their radio reply reaches us. Based on this I don't consider the odds of communication to be very good.

More important, as radio waves spread out they degrade. They become incoherent at just a few light years from Earth, becoming indistinguishable from the background radio 'noise.' So, thankfully, aliens won't be able to watch our TV broadcasts and see how stupid we are.

I don't think Fermi's paradox is a paradox at all. Communication with aliens is simply so unlikely that it rarely happens for a given civilization.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 3, 2018
    themnax and Ged like this.
  14. Jimbee68

Jimbee68 Member

In case any of you are interested, here is the You Tube video I saw that partly inspired this topic: Yeah, some possibilities are truly scary.

15. themnax

themnax Senior Member

there's a slight problem with the op's use and meaning of the terminology.
    which a literal meaning would be terra transformed into ... itself?
    (terra being one of those old language's word of earth itself.
    presumably what they meant was our world having been transformed into one compatible with THEIR's)

16. themnax

themnax Senior Member

precisely. and thus has nothing to do with the degree of likelihood of their existing.

17. Running Horse

Running Horse A Buddha in hiding from himself

It can be truly terrifying to consider that we may actually be all alone. Course in the end it really doesn't matter anyway.

18. Running Horse

Running Horse A Buddha in hiding from himself

Nice try.

Asmodean and Tyrsonswood like this.
  19. themnax

themnax Senior Member

i think one really simple explanation is, well, how many worlds circling other suns have we visited? ok think about it. at the speed of light, and we haven't pushed anything big enough to ride in even a tenth of that yet, it would take half your lifetime to reach one of the handful of nearest other solar systems. and only the very closest few to get there and back. now realize, it takes just as long to get here from there, as it takes to get there from here. now couple that with how little real reason there would likely be for anyone to want to (except to see if we figure out how to do that ourselves without destroying ourselves, or becoming, well the way the european invasion treated the western hemisphere). so its really no surprise at all, that anyone who has visited our world, has maintained a really high priority, to stay out of sight and out of mind. of course there's also the margret meed/star trek prime directive, which would also require them to do so. avoid being seen or detected by us. and of course the possibility they ask everyone politely not to mentione having seen or met them, and that everyone's nation agrees to that.

i really don't think the reason is anything to get frequed out about, just that as a species, we're just not grown up enough to be eligible to join a galactic federation that's probably been around longer then our planet, let alone our species. i mean, as long as we think 1492 was a good thing, we've still got a lot of growing up to do.

(i forgot tumbling already said basically most of the same thing. not really a paradox, so much as a low probability of running into each other, when you objectively consider all it would take to do so)

Last edited: Dec 9, 2018
  20. storch

storch banned

An alien once told me that most of the UFOs seen by people are actually other-dimensional beings, and that what we're seeing is our mind's interpretation of their presence. In other words, we see the other-dimensional being as our third-dimensional senses translates it according to known references.

Just kidding.