Could This Be The Start Of World War Three?

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Boozercruiser, Feb 25, 2022.

?

Could This Be The Start Of World War Three?

1. YES

31.6%
  2. NO

31.6%
  3. PERHAPS

36.8%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Captain Scarlet

Captain Scarlet Lifetime Supporter

[​IMG]

Another potential flash point is the Baltics . I know its hypothetical at the moment but if Putin wins Ukraine the area that includes Kaliningrad is part of Russia . He may try and force a land corridor between Belarusa nd Kaliningrad via a part of Lithuania bringing Nato into a WW3 situation . Another area to watch out for .

2. Boozercruiser

Boozercruiser Kenny Lifetime Supporter

Since I started this thread on 25th February 2022 things on The Nuclear front have been getting very slowly and steadily far worse.
    Perhaps when the thread started it was a bit fanciful and a rather daft thought.
    :eek: NOT NOW!

https://videos.metro.co.uk/video/me...8006163051/960x540_MP4_401808378006163051.mp4

Aleksey Zhuravlyov, chairman of the nationalist Rodina party, suggested Russia launching nuclear weapons against the UK, saying: 'one Sarmat missile and the British Isles will be no more.'

oldguynurse and Captain Scarlet like this.
  3. Captain Scarlet

I agree . That was the only thing wrong with the thread was the timing .

Its a fluid situation and things rapidly change .

oldguynurse likes this.
  4. Boozercruiser

Me being a smart arse :p :laughing: at the time I really felt that the danger of Nuclear war was so very real.
    :eek: Even more so now!

I have never felt so concerned and rather worried about this since The Cuba Crisis, and I have to confess.
    The situation is really playing on my mind.

Cuban missile crisis | History, Facts, & Significance

Cuban missile crisis,

(October 1962), major confrontation that brought the United States and the Soviet Union close to war over the presence of Soviet nuclear-armed missiles in Cuba.

Having promised in May 1960 to defend Cuba with Soviet arms, the Soviet premier Nikita Khrushchev assumed that the United States would take no steps to prevent the installation of Soviet medium- and intermediate-range ballistic missiles in Cuba.

Such missiles could hit much of the eastern United States within a few minutes if launched from Cuba.
    The United States learned in July 1962 that the Soviet Union had begun missile shipments to Cuba.
    By August 29 new military construction and the presence of Soviet technicians had been reported by U.S. U-2 spy planes flying over the island, and on October 14 the presence of a ballistic missile on a launching site was reported.

Captain Scarlet and oldguynurse like this.
  5. zer0

zer0 Members

I think someone said it early in this thread that this became a de facto WW3 the minute NATO imposed sanctions & gave military support to Ukraine. The question is: [when] will nukes start flying?

Call me crazy but I'm thinking it won't happen, now that we've seen Putin's psychology a little better. Putin and his crybabies have been making nudge-nudge-wink-wink threats with nukes for at least a month, but no action. The dumbass played his bluff wayyy too early in the game. NATO countries gambled, brushed it off and ramped up their support for Ukraine, so what does Putin do...?

Putin: "OOH YOU MAKE ME VERY ANGRY INDEED! I'LL JUST PUSH THIS BUTTON... AND...! AND... {turn off Poland's gas? Declare false victory and withdraw my troops?}..."

What a tough guy.

So while I do think we're essentially in the middle of WW3 and it could stretch on for months, or years, with many lives lost and cities shelled to powder, I think we've seen Putin with his pants down and his little nuke thingy aint flying.

Of course my opinion is subject to revision when I see that great flash in the sky... :(

6. scratcho

scratcho Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

Murphys Law: Anything that can go wrong will go wrong.

7. oldguynurse

oldguynurse Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

And at the worst possible time. (Murphy's Third Law)

scratcho, ~Zen~ and Captain Scarlet like this.
  8. sureño

sureño Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

Same for me. But I see around and people are unworried. I think it's wether they don't know/don't believe how dangerous it indeed is. I think mainly about my children and I feel some way responsible because we failed to make a better world for them.

~Zen~ and Captain Scarlet like this.
  9. M_Ranko

M_Ranko Straight edge xXx

This just in: Knock on wood, but Turkey no longer opposes, but instead now supports Finland and Sweden's NATO membership applications after hours long talks between the leaders of Finland, Sweden and Turkey, and Secretary General of NATO, Jens Stoltenberg. Finland and Sweden could receive an invitation to join as members on Wednesday, June 29th at the Madrid NATO summit.

The deal with Turkey supposedly includes promises from Finland and Sweden to help Turkey's fight against the Kurdistan Workers' Party PKK, to show solidarity for Turkey in their fight against terrorism, to step out of any and all arms embargoes placed against Turkey and to increase defense cooperation with Turkey. Finland and Sweden must also take steps to block all misinformation that might be spread about Turkey, and promise not to support the Kurd organizations PYD, YPG, and Fethullah Gülen's support organization Feto.

Some big news could be coming from Madrid within 24 hours from now. Definitely a major blow for Vladimir Putin, who is now going to get more NATO, and not less, like he originally hoped for. All of Baltic Sea will now become a NATO sea from now on. This is a good timing, because according to certain news sources, the top brass in the Russian military have been using increasingly aggressive language in their views regarding Finland and the Baltic states, fantasizing about what they would do to the Baltic countries in particular, should they try to invade that region.

Sagewynd, MeAgain and Tyrsonswood like this.
  10. Captain Scarlet

M_Ranko and Tyrsonswood like this.
  11. Boozercruiser

Well thank goodness World War Three hasn’t started.
    Yet!
    But I am still very concerned that it just might.
    After all.
    Putin is very deranged, and now a proven loser.
    Somehow he now needs to recover face.
    :eek:Blowing us all up in a nuclear war might just do it!

12. sureño

Yes, he could do it.
    It is known that for there to be a fight, you need 2 who want to fight.
    In my view, NATO is actually the opponent that is proposing the fight. First, because they reneged on the promise made in the 90's not to expand to the East.
    Secondly, because with the provision of weapons they are leading to more deaths, more destruction and increasing the risk of nuclear war.
    If you know you're dealing with a dangerous madman, you should be in a position to beat him. But if you're not sure you can with it, or you don't want to face the costs, then you should be more prudent and stop provoking it.

13. Captain Scarlet

My view which is based on my study of military history and the former Soviet Union and pragmatic ,is that once the Donbas is fully under military control ,a cease fire will be called for .Russia militarily is running out of first line echelon equipment . Its already beginning to use its reserve obsolete equipment from the old Cold War days and been held in reserve such as T62M tanks (a 60s designed tank modified in the 80s) and MT LB troop carriers .

There are very few fresh units it can call on without placing its own homeland security at risk .

All the above is indicative that the Russian War machine is beginning to stall .

This will benefit NATO as it knows Russia would be incapable of conducting a war on another front . This will and has given NATO the opportunity to prepare its forces and integrate those of Finland and Sweden .

As regards WW3 ,I am one of those who believe we are already in it as we have along with other countries supplying arms to and funding Ukraine of which itself is technically an act or war in my book .

Now if you ask me will this escalate which is of course another question ? My answer is NO as Russia will be too weak to conduct a war on another front .It will be sometime possibly years before it will be in a position to do so .Putin I think will be gone by then.

As regards the nuclear option , far too much is being made of Western Media for sensationalist headlines . Bad news sells. MAD (Mutually Assured Destruction ) will ensure that this will never happen.

14. MeAgain

MeAgain Dazed & Confused Lifetime Supporter Super Moderator

If you want to defend yourself, then it takes two to make a fight. But if someone invades your country and kills your citizens and you just roll over and let it happen, then it only takes one to fight.

If I recall correctly NATO did not expand to the east until Putin invaded a neighboring country and sacred everyone to death.
    Secondly are you proposing that Ukraine should just cease to be a sovereign country and submit to Putin?
    Are you proposing that the West should not aid them in their fight and let Putin take over any country he wants? Should we give him Poland perhaps? Or maybe Finland? (Just so we don't provoke him, I mean if we defend those countries he might get mad.)

How is Ukraine and the West provoking Putin? By defending itself?
    Be real.

M_Ranko and Tyrsonswood like this.
  15. M_Ranko

M_Ranko Straight edge xXx

Took the words right out of my mouth. Any peace that is bought by sacrificing smaller nations to dictator bullies is a worthless one. By sureño's logic, we should've also let Hitler have his way in the 1930's and 40's. Just sit by and watch how millions of the Jewish people got slaughtered, scared and terrified, and how all of Europe would've become a lab for the Nazi race experiments, because certain contemporary folks were too afraid to stand up to him. No, self-defense violence is perfectly fine, and the time for it is now. Everybody would be a loser in Vladimir Putin's world order.

A lot now depends on what happens to the economy this coming winter. If European leaders botch this one and the common people get unhappy and frustrated in the cold of winter and take to the streets, we could be witnesses to a collapse not seen since the WWII years. Massive inflation and economic woes have always preceded all major wars. The Germans in particular have been acting very stupid, when they allowed this situation to happen, where they became so reliant on gas from an obvious bandit state. Just so that they could do the very populist stunt of shutting down their nuke plants. Very, very dumb, Germans.

Captain Scarlet and MeAgain like this.
  16. MeAgain

In defense of the Germans they thought economic ties to Russia would build better relations with Russia.

It appears they, and the West, were wrong.

17. sureño

As many, you are being extremists. For you things are white or they are black. For you, Putin is solely and greatly responsible for this disaster.
    I agree that he is primarily responsible, because he was the one who started the aggression.
    But the West could have avoided getting inside the former USSR with NATO. This was an unnecessary provocation. For that the West is responsable too.
    Now it is easy for us, who watch the news in our home,in the comfort of our armchair, just sit by and watch how millions of the Ucranian people got slaughtered, scared and terrified.
    If the war lasts as long as it will last...no matter how long. It is the Ukrainians who are putting their bodies, not any of us.
    My idea is to save as many lives and avoid as much suffering as possible. That's why I said what I said. Because I empathize with the suffering of others.

Last edited: Jul 11, 2022
  18. MeAgain

Well, let's see. In 1948 the Soviet Union overthrew the democratic nation of Czechoslovakia.
    In 1948 they cut off Berlin forcing an immense airlift to West Berlin to prevent starvation.
    NATO was formed in 1949 as the West became fearful of Russia and the newly forming U.S S.R.

When the Soviet Union fell in 1991 with Ukraine and Belarus forming the Commonwealth of Independent States, Russia no longer had any right to intervene in anything they did. They were free to join NATO if NATO wanted them.
    Ukraine, Belarus, Kazakhstan, Armenia, Kyrgyzstan, Uzbekistan, Moldova, Lithuania, Azerbaijan, Turkmenistan, Georgia, Estonia, Latvia, and Tajikistan, (I think I got all of them) became independent countries, but you're telling me they don't have a right to do want they want?
    They have to kowtow to Russia?

Why, becasue Russia is paranoid?
    Bull.

19. sureño

I don't defend Putin. Far from it. He is a dictator who should be overthrown as soon as possible.
    But that doesn't stop me from pointing out the West's responsibility for this war.
    If things had been done more prudently, on the part of NATO, this war could have been avoided. Or at least, Putin would not have had any pretext at hand to initiate the aggression.

EZGoing likes this.
  20. MeAgain

So the West is responsible for Putin's actions, not Putin.