Could Modern art be a money laundering scheme?

Discussion in 'Art' started by 6-eyed shaman, Jul 1, 2018.

1. Moonglow181

Moonglow181 Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

I don't know about the money laundering....that would be the business of the buyer of the painting, not the artist...I don't look that deep into it.....I am looking at it innocently.......Artists are good at what they do, too...just because you may not appreciate a piece of artwork does not mean that someone else does not.

2. Noserider

Noserider Goofy-Footed Member

I feel like a broken record this morning.

This is like the 5th time I've had to type out this exact thing: I never said that.

3. Tyrsonswood

Tyrsonswood Senior Moment Lifetime Supporter

6-eyed shaman, of course...

6-eyed shaman likes this.
  4. Irminsul

Irminsul Valkyrie

You kind of did though. You said art speaks to people. Unless you don't think I'm people. But if art speaks to people, then it don't speak to other people too nom sayin. So you still said it. :p. You done did that. You can't undone did it.

5. Noserider

Art elicits a response from its audience. Could be negative; could be positive. The fact that it provoked you in some way--that you had a reaction to it--meant it "spoke" to you. I think art is supposed to be provocative. It's supposed to make people feel, react, think, discuss...even challenge. You wrote multiple paragraphs in three different posts. Clearly it spoke to you.

6. Meliai

Meliai Banned

I'm not opposed to using tax money to make one's community beautiful. We all benefit from that

But unfortunately it does seem like the people who find themselves in charge of choosing art installations have horrendous taste in art. We have a piece in my city that looks like a giant metallic piece of canned cheez whiz

7. MeAgain

MeAgain Dazed & Confused Lifetime Supporter Super Moderator

I was a modern art skeptic until I read a book called Art & Physics, Parallel Visions in Space, Time, and Light.

[​IMG]
    For example here is Marcel Duchamp's Bicycle Wheel, 1913.
    [​IMG]
    Pretty simple and seemingly something anyone could do. He said he liked to just spin it and watch it move.
    What it is, is the first piece of moving art. He was displaying not just motion in art but art in motion.
    This was the time of Einstein's discoveries involving motion and different points of view.
    Duchamp wondered how a painting could capture the essence of a person's life when it showed just one static image of that life.
    His work below, titled The Bride Stripped Bare By Her Bachelors, was the first painting ever done on transparent glass. He was trying to show the world in three dimensions beyond the static two dimensional painting, in real time. He was combining space and time and showing how they are interrelated, ala Einstein.
    [​IMG]
    The book is just full of examples of how art changed with discoveries in science. Modern art is a reflection of the discoveries in science in regards to time, motion, points of view, etc.
    I now actually understand that Barnett Newman was attempting to show an atom's spectroscopic light signature. A thing in a field of energy. He was expressing the new theories of Penrose, Hawking, and Weinberg. A single instantaneous creation of matter in the dawn of creation.
    [​IMG]
    Interesting stuff.​

Asmodean and Noserider like this.
  8. MeAgain

I forgot to mention, it took him five years to come up with that style of painting.

9. 6-eyed shaman

6-eyed shaman Sock-eye salmon

Damn right :sunglasses: LOL

I agree that displaying quality art to enhance the beauty of a town square is a reasonable investment. Key word being quality. People are much happier, joyful, and better behaved when they're in an atmosphere surrounded by beauty.

I too have lived in cities that had beautiful neoclassical sculptures in the town squares, and I've also lived in cities with ugly erratic sculptures that were similar in nature to your city's can of cheese whiz.

10. 6-eyed shaman

No, it's not interesting. I'm sorry.

I took an art history class in college, and I studied Duchamp.

Duchamp's bicycle wheel would be mistaken for a prop at a mechanic's work shop if displayed in a machine shop, and would be mistaken for a piece of junk if displayed anywhere else. The laborer who worked in the assembly line in the bicycle factory spent more time crafting that wheel then Duchamp did by attaching it to a stool.

If it's a work that requires to be displayed in an art gallery or art museum to be called "art," then it's not art, it's junk.

What you read about Duchamp being a pioneer in art and revolutionizing the art scene, is nothing more than a sales pitch to influence the feeble minded. Duchamp was a manipulative salesman who duped many people into believing his lack of talent or craftsmanship had "a deeper meaning." It's not about "the discoveries in science in regards to time, motion, points of view, etc." That is a bunch of pretentious snooty obscurantism described by elitist art-snobs who can use this pretend intellectual superiority to sneer at those of us who see the "art" for what it really is: obscure, meaningless, garbage.

Duchamp was the same guy who invented the "readymade." He took an existing snow shovel, hung it on the wall, and titled it "In advance of a broken arm." Another one he did was a urinal that he displayed and named "fountain." And again, he did not actually make any of this stuff himself. None of these readymades made any actual sense, it's just pretentious obscurantism. Nor did the artist actually build or craft these things themselves.

What's worse is that Duchamp has inspired many more artists to be just like him, adding more low quality crap to the art scene and watch as our government continues wasting its money on this shit.

Prior to the early 20th century and the modernist movement, there was an objective standard of art for thousands of years.

Although he is not the only one responsible for this, Marcel Duchamp is an aesthetic terrorist, and a saboteur of humanity's progress in art over several millennia.

It all comes down to this: We have to maintain objective standards of quality and talent in order to discern the value in ANYTHING. When I see people awing over Duchamp's work, to me it is like watching an audience applaud singers who deliberately sing off beat.

11. 6-eyed shaman

You think I watch Fox News? Ha! That’s adorable! Never change, Anakin :D

12. MeAgain

Well, thank you for your opinion. Especially as I assume you haven't read the book.
    I know getting into a debate about this would be fruitless so I would suggest that those interested investigate someone like Duchamp themselves.
    Marcel Duchamp

But I'll respond briefly.
    It is true that he was an intellectual. His grandfather was a painter and engraver, he attended school for mathematics and won at least one award at the school in that field, as well as awards in art.
    He painted in watercolor and oil, drew technical drawings and cartoons, wrote musical pieces, made short films, and of course was a static and kinetic sculptor.
    [​IMG]
    He was also a chessmaster who was so fanatic that his wife glued his chess pieces to the board in order to stop his playing.

His urinal and snow shovel were made as a protest against what people usually consider art to be.
    He ranks as one of the three most influence artists of the 20th century.

13. Noserider

Once again, who determines quality?

The average person on the street? A panel of art critics? It doesn't matter. Some people are going to think it's garbage, while others will champion it as beautiful manipulation of negative space, or whatever art critics say. It's still the same result, that's a microcosm for everything wrong in America at the moment: that we feel we have to divide ourselves over just about everything. People who don't like it won't shrug and move on with their lives: they'll bitch, piss, and moan about how they are having an artistic agenda forced down their throats. Then the other side will feel attacked.

And on, and on, and on it fucking goes. Just ban all art, ban all fun, ban all thinking, ban all people, ban everything because because something, somewhere is going to make someone nuts all of the time.

I just...can't. Jesus Christ. Happy 4th.

I'm going back to bed.

Tyrsonswood likes this.
  14. Noserider

Sorry, 6, everything after the first three sentences of the above post has nothing to do with you. I'm just in a shitty mood this morning

15. Monkey Boy

Monkey Boy Senior Member

It's part of history and can't be duplicated similar to vintage wines, gold, antiquities, silver and diamonds. The dollar has lost 98% of it's value over the past 100 years while a Spanish silver coin from the 1500's has held on or even increase in value. It only makes sense to purchase if you're trying to build mutigenerational wealth.

16. I'minmyunderwear

I'minmyunderwear Newbie

have i got news for you!

[​IMG]

i don't actually know if he will even appear in the show. i just happened to learn about this show's existence today, so it was kind of funny to see your post right now.