Cost of a Burger.

Discussion in 'Remember When?' started by Dax, Feb 27, 2020.

1. themnax

themnax Senior Member

a lot of things about them weren't, but the cost of food, housing and transportation were.

2. Vladimir Illich

Vladimir Illich Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

Anyone willing to accept this challenge ???

3. themnax

themnax Senior Member

back in the 70s, the nuget had an awful awful burger that was the size of a dinner plate,
    more recently there was a place actually called greaseburger, or something like that, that had exactly like that two pound burger and you could even get one with three.
    i ordered mine with the bacon, guac and dill, and without the cheeze. it went out of business a couple of years before the pandemic though.
    it had had a good run i think, it had been in business a good five years or more before i discovered it.

it also, the hamburger tasted like actual hamburger, as opposed to what that thing called hamburger at every franchise place that i know of. not the lowest fat percentage as the name implied, but at least it was real hamburger.

Last edited: Nov 8, 2021
    Sagewynd likes this.
  4. hotwater

hotwater Senior Member Lifetime Supporter

5. Peter Barnett

Peter Barnett Members

Who remembers when burger bars were called "The Golden Egg", remember there was one in Brighton and one in Leicester Square, London? Taken over by Wimpy perhaps?

Two English Tourists at Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwyllllantysiliogogogoch they stopped for lunch and one of the tourists asked the waitress: “Before we order, I wonder if you could settle an argument for us. Can you pronounce where we are, very, very, very slowly?”

The girl leaned over and said:

“Burrr… gurrr… King.”

themnax likes this.
  6. themnax

themnax Senior Member

not my part of the planet "golden egg". on the other paw, we did at one time have a chain called wimpy's. (its icon being popeye's friend who was always hungry and pennyless,
    much like its namesake it was never an overwhelming success, though i'm uncertain as to why)
    we also have popeye's, but its a fried chicken place, which to me is strange, as popeye's power up was to consume a whole can of spinnach, which i doubt they serve a side of.
    (a fish and chippy, like long john silvers, would make more sense to me for a place called popeye's, as he was salor,
    fried fish with a side of creamed spinnach sounds pretty good to me right now)

Sagewynd and hotwater like this.
  7. Wally Pitcher

Wally Pitcher Members

During My freshman year in college (Cir 1962), I worked at an A&W Root Beer, A Quarter Pound Burger, a bag of fries and a large root beer was $ 0.49. An 1/8 th pound burger, bag of fries and a small root beer was $ 0.29. Gas was about $ 0.29 / gallon. The bad news was that the average wage for a A & W worker was $ 1.25/ Hour

scratcho and ~Zen~ like this.
  8. ~Zen~

~Zen~ Ancient Mariner Administrator

My first job in the 1960s paid an awesome $1.00 per hour!

6Sailor9 likes this.