Cost of a Burger.

Discussion in 'Remember When?' started by Dax, Feb 27, 2020.

1. Dax

Dax Members

My gran says that her gran can remember when a burger cost 15c and a hotdog 10c.

Is she kidding me?

2. FritzDaKatx2

FritzDaKatx2 Vinegar Taster

Nope
    Now ask her how much a gallon of gas cost

Tyrsonswood and themnax like this.
  3. deleted

deleted Visitor

65cents for a hamburger Mcds when I was in middle school..

4. You could get them for 69 cents at McDonald's (for food, folks, and fun) when I was in middle school. Dunno how much they are now.

I wish my town had a Burger King. I love the Impossible Whopper. Shit is tasty.

5. Irminsul

Irminsul Valkyrie

Back in my day you could get a bus ticket into the city, a bowl of candy, a movie ticket and a bus ride home for 2c

6. wilsjane

wilsjane Nutty Professor HipForums Supporter

The Burger King Whoppers are high quality beef and taste great when they are freshly cooked. One outlet chain in the UK did just that, but it backfired when all the other restaurants were flooded with complaints. Instead of making them cook freshly, the company stopped anyone selling them until they had been sitting on the hotplate in water for 20 minutes. Talk about idiots sailing the ship.!!!!!

In fact, their is little wrong with most fast food from major outlets. The sole reason for bad publicity and health warnings is that most people eat it in ADDITION to their normal diet, rather than as a meal.
    The only valid criticism is with low quality chicken used in nuggets.

Needless to say, some outlets break the rules and destroy the food before it is sold to the public.

7. The Impossible Whopper is named as it is, because it's vegetarian. It is really good, though. And as someone who doesn't really like eating meat, is much appreciated. If McDonald's did something similar I'd be there all the time. Though it may be actually impossible to make vegetables taste like pink slime...

8. wilsjane

wilsjane Nutty Professor HipForums Supporter

upload_2020-2-27_20-10-40.jpeg

9d is 3.7 pence in modern decimal UK money. The farthing was the smallest coin. Their were 960 farthings to a pound.

At the time of that price-list, I was being paid £4:2:9 (£4:14) for showing the films for 20 hours a week.

9. Irminsul

Irminsul Valkyrie

Righto, dad. :sweatsmile:

10. themnax

themnax Senior Member

at lil's in colfax california, a hambuger was 55cents. that came with a whole dill pickle and a choice of sides, coleslaw, macaroni or potato salad.
    a tuna salad san was 45 and came with the same pickle and choice of sides,
    an egg salad san was 35 and likewise. the jukebox was three plays for a quarter.
    a slice of pie was 45, and lil's husband fritz was the baker who supplied the cakes and pies to the other eateries in town as well.
    coffee as another nickle, and people thought they were being gouged when it went up to a dime.

well that was the late 50s and early 60s.
    in the 70s and 80s mcdogs was still advertizing change back form your dollar for a burger, friez and a coke.
    in the 80s, to distract attention from no longer claiming that, they introduced the mc dog lettice and tomatoe,
    like huh? they didn't already have that on their burgers?

"where's the beef" wasn't fooled though. at least not by mcdogs.

before there were golden arches, there was foster's freeze, which introduced 'soft serve', a kind of icecreamish stuff pumped out of a machine.
    i think that was the first fast food joint i remember seeing. before the franchisers took over, in every little town there were mom and pop "coffee and" places, like lil's.

to answer a question: arround five bux last time i had teeth to bite into the bread. probably damd near ten by now, once you add something to drink and something desertish.
    and jack in the is a better deal then mikky dogs, but then so are a lot of places.
    haven't tried the veggie king thing. last time i tried burger peasant everything had a ton of salt on it.

Last edited: Feb 28, 2020
  11. LittleFritter

LittleFritter Members

Money was worth a lot more back then, and you also got a lot more for your buck. On vacation last year I bought a hamburger for $15 and thought I was getting a deal!

12. Irminsul

Irminsul Valkyrie

i was looking for burgers to be delivered home just before and some place wanted 18EU for a burger.

They're dreamin.

13. Angelmama

Angelmama Angel Lifetime Supporter

Nope
    When McDonald's started back when that was true.
    Even in the 70s their ads assured you that with a burger fries and a drink you would get change back from your dollar.
    Candy bars were a nickel too.

scratcho likes this.
  14. My choice these days about once a month or so, is a Carl's angus burger and small fries, and t he other day a friend brought me one and it was $9.01.... then there are the upscale burgers like t he one recently from Calif Pizza Kitchen before Covid, it was as I recall $18.00...it was SO SO TASTY I could have eaten 2.

15. Pantux

Pantux Senior Member

When McD came to our city in the mid 70s I believe a burger was 55 cents fries were 25 and drink was 15 so under a buck. Could walk there from my Jr. High ate many burgers. May not be accurate but all through jr high I could eat there for under 2 dollars.

16. Angelmama

Their ads in the 70s all said you got change back from a dollar.
    Haven't been there in about ten years but I saw some ads on TV in the hospital and it looked like it was much pricier.
    I remember getting burgers fries and soda for myself and my kids in the mid 70s and getting a fair amount of change from a tenner.
    When McDonald's was new I was quite young but you could eat for less than 50 cents, I know.

17. Tulsa

Tulsa Members

No she is not. I can remember nickel hot dogs. 15 cents for a gallon of gas. Movies for a dime and bus rides for a nickel. You could even buy a big gum ball for a penny.

scratcho likes this.
  18. Angelmama

I've told kids in checkout lines about nickel candy bars and they are astonished.

scratcho likes this.
  19. Tulsa

Tulsa Members

Times have changed. But back then I made $50 a week which was considered middle income. In my last job I made $750 a week.

20. Angelmama

When I was 19, I had an apartment costing $130 a month with heat and electricity included!