Coolest Places You Have Visited?

Discussion in 'Travel Polls' started by BostonBill, Dec 27, 2008.

1. Eric!

Eric! Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

Impressive and scary at the same time

mysticblu21 likes this.
  2. Eric!

Eric! Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

That’s beautiful! Didn’t think anything like that would exist in Myanmar.

mysticblu21 and lbushwalker like this.
  3. lbushwalker

lbushwalker Members

Myanmar is full of such treasures of antiquity.
    It is just that this one is the best known and easiest to see.

Eric! likes this.
  4. granite45

granite45 Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

Jerry Johnson hot springs off the Lochsa highway in Northern Idaho. By far the neatest collection of user friendly hot pools surrounded by lush Idaho forest land.

scratcho likes this.
  5. Up4Fun757

Up4Fun757 Members

One of the coolest places I've been was the Greek Island of Santorini (Thira). Gorgeous black beaches, and friendly people and awe inspiring landscapes. The island is basically the top of an inactive volcano.

[​IMG]

6. wooleeheron

wooleeheron Brain Damaged Lifetime Supporter

I've heard good things about it too. Such places are becoming rare. :)

Up4Fun757 likes this.
  7. scratcho

scratcho Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

Haleakala on Maui was the quietest place I have ever experienced. Plus one can pass from the tropics through temperate zone to snow.

mysticblu21 and Up4Fun757 like this.
  8. highlander69

highlander69 Members

Las Vegas for me

mysticblu21 likes this.
  9. granite45

A walk from the village of Salema, Portugal to a nearby beach.....listening to the cowbells as a herder guided his cattle along a path below.

10. lostinitall

lostinitall Members

coolest place 4 me was Cairo, Egypt.... lived there about 5-6 months

mysticblu21 likes this.
  11. soulcompromise

soulcompromise Member HipForums Supporter

I want to go to Kyrgyzstan! I want to go to Kyrgyzstan! I want to go to Kyrgyzstan! I want to go to Kyrgyzstan! I want to go to Kyrgyzstan! I want to go to Kyrgyzstan! I want to go to Kyrgyzstan! I want to go to Kyrgyzstan! I want to go to Kyrgyzstan!

:D

mysticblu21 and lostinitall like this.
  12. lostinitall

lostinitall Members

:laughing::laughing::laughing: guess u wanna go .... lol

mysticblu21 and soulcompromise like this.
  13. soulcompromise

I do. From what I've seen in pictures, books, articles, etc. it's just amazing.

mysticblu21 and lostinitall like this.
  14. soulcompromise

For places I've already been (hence 'have' visited, not 'haven't') I'd have to say Mexico; though I can't remember - too wasted.

When I was 18 we (my immediate family) went on a cruise of the Mexican Riviera. We were to stop in Puerto Vallarta, Mazatlán, and Cabo San Lucas. But the boat didn't stop in Cabo - I think we got some kind of refund or discount because of that. They were having issues with the port.

Anyway, Mexico is enchanted. The people are such a vibrant culture; exuding values and charm with every word and movement. Really cool place. But I was 18 and all I cared about was getting trashed - I'm pretty sure we were allowed to drink once in international waters or something. I know I was really really drunk for most of the trip.

Last edited: Jan 2, 2021
    mysticblu21 likes this.
  15. lostinitall

lostinitall Members

never went to Mexico... Did a cruise in the Carribean when i was younger that was cool.. N i was in Sicily for about a week

soulcompromise and mysticblu21 like this.
  16. Piobaire

Piobaire Village Idiot

Belize. 2nd largest barrier reef in the world. Pristine reefs and 100'+ vis. Like floating in air.

Cozumel, back in the day; long before the fucking cruise ships. Especially, Maracaibo Wall; 115' at the crest. Saw a Great Hammerhead as big as the boat.

Puerto Rico; Vieques (what Key West wishes it was, before they perverted it into a fucking theme park), and La Parguera Wildlife Reserve. Saw my first "green flash" in a sunset at Boquerón (several times, actually). The people of Puerto Rico are some of the nicest folk I've ever met.

Crewed a square topsail schooner out of San Francisco for a couple of years; once down to San Diego and west to Hawaii. Used to see lots of grey whales on their migration off of San Francisco; usually looking down from the topsail yard. En route to Hawaii, saw a great blue whale. You've never seen stars until you've been up on deck in a tropical ocean on a clear night with a new moon, especially if you can lay aloft and get the whole 360° panorama unobstructed by sails. Used to gather the flying fish that would land on the deck at night, and fry them for breakfast.

My mother was born & raised in Tampa; once she told me that she'd always wanted to dive with the manatees. I rented a pontoon boat and a hotel room and flew her down to Crystal River Florida for three days. On her last dive on the last day, a manatee would repeatedly swim up to her, roll over, and tap it's chest a couple of times with a pectoral flipper; the universal sign for "please give me a belly rub"; something I could've never orchestrated. Probably my best memory of time spent with my mother.

For years, my days off were weekdays. I had a 17' sloop that I'd sail out to the Gulf of Mexico and Anclote Key; a big deserted and undeveloped island off of Tarpon Springs. Back then, I could walk the beach all day and never encounter another human. Seaward, it was so quiet that you could hear the sea turtles & dolphins spout, and I could reliably catch the week's worth of fish trolling sardines from the transom. What Florida must've looked like to the Seminoles.

Spent a week rafting the Colorado through the Grand Canyon, camping on the gravel bars at night. So radically different than any place I've ever been; kinda like being on another planet.

Fly fishing for trout with my Dad in Alaska. No roads, theme bars or tacky hotels and gift shops; they're all a 2 1/2 hour flight back to Anchorage in small radial-engined float planes only slightly better appointed than a P-47. Bears, wolves, moose, bald & golden eagles, and rainbow trout the size of rottweilers. Breathtakingly beautiful.

What a wonderful thread; I haven't revisited some of these memories in a long time.
    Thank you.

Last edited: Jan 2, 2021
    scratcho and granite45 like this.
  17. Rots in hell

Rots in hell Senior Member

Still Runcorn !

18. granite45

A wedding of our niece in Ottawa to a Canadian military intelligence officer. The wedding was in the Chateau across from Parliment building. Ottawa is very cool, big cultural difference from BC which is just up I-5 a bit.

19. Vladimir Illich

Vladimir Illich Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

Try Prague, - lovely bar there called Ufleku !!!

20. Barry Mandelay

Barry Mandelay Banned

Barbados - The only coral reef island in the eastern Caribbean. Excellent economy. Wonderful people with the highest education level per capita of anywhere in the world. Beautiful landscape with gardens galore and gorgeous vistas overlooking the sea. And clean. Barbados is one island that is real keen on curbing pollution. They intend on becoming totally independent by the end of 2021 breaking their sovereignty with the Queen of England.

scratcho likes this.