Cooking Turnips Is a Travesty.

Discussion in 'Munchie Recipes' started by Jimbee68, Sep 17, 2022.

1. Jimbee68

Jimbee68 Member

Because I at least have found it is. But first a little background.

You know, all my life, I've seen turnips in supermarkets. But I never knew anything about them, or frankly even why people ate them.

Anyways, when I became an adult, I could go to supermarkets by myself. And I had to get turnips. Wouldn't you? And I have to say, I was surprised.

You know, when they're raw, they taste like a mild radish I'd say. And they're delicious that way. Who'd want to cook them? Excellent for dipping too, BTW.

Well, you know people do often cook them as root vegetables. Actually that way, I just love to cook them like a baked potato, then serve them with garlic and butter. Now that's good eating.

Oh, oh, and I do have a good dip, for them, and other dipping veggies. Mostly peanut butter, little mayonnaise (for creaminess), and perhaps a little catsup. Spice with curry powder and perhaps a little garlic salt. You know, curry powder and peanuts are made for each other. Why am the only person who'd know this?

Thoughts? Suggestions? :)

2. Vladimir Illich

Vladimir Illich Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

Robert Burns the Scottish poet used to refer to them in his poem about Haggis - Haggis, neeps & tatties. Neeps being Turnips !!!

One can chop and steam them with the Tatties (Potatoes) and then mash them with a knob of butter to form a mash nest on which to place the Haggis.

As a variation, I tend to use sweet potatoes and parsnips with the turnips to make a very nice (peppery) mash.

3. Piobaire

Piobaire Village Idiot

I like them roasted with potatoes, sweet potatoes, carrots & parsnips (when available).
    My mate often makes mashed potatoes with them.
    If she can find a fresh beet, she's a happy woman.

Last edited: Oct 18, 2022