Controlling racing thoughts

Discussion in 'Random Thoughts' started by hahaha04, Aug 3, 2013.

1. Irminsul

Irminsul Valkyrie

Masturbation.

2. hahaha04

hahaha04 Whatevers Clever

Rubbin one out does help relax me quite a bit!

3. Mr.Writer

Mr.Writer Senior Member

If there is too much mental energy at bedtime then do more during the day to tire yourself out. Nothing beats good old exercise. Also if the thoughts are about a particular topic(s) then there is topic-specific closure needed . . . if your mind races around about absolutely everything, then it sounds like general anxiety and again, exercise, diet make a huge difference. Try drinking calming tea or warm milk with honey before bedtime. play relaxing music and when you feel yourself starting to think about unwanted things, concentrate on the music.

4. Pressed_Rat

Pressed_Rat Do you even lift, bruh?

I simply try to redirect my thoughts, which takes training. It's easy to get back into the habit of over-analyzing everything, even things that are not worthy of such thought. I find that marijuana is really bad for making me ruminate on things that are not exactly pleasant to think about. However, there are times when the opposite can apply as well.

5. autophobe2e

autophobe2e Senior Member

Cbt (cognitive behavioural therapy) gives you the skills necessary to effectively recognise and derail unpleasnat thoughts, you can ask your doctor about it if they are frequent and unpleasant, really helps out with anxiety and depression and stuff. if you can't get on a course straight away, try this, its a condensed online version, its okay, a start at least.

https://moodgym.anu.edu.au/welcome

my councillor reccomended it to me at university when i came to him with depression and anxiety, in conjunction with a some guided meditation, the guided meditation i no longer do, i replaced it with a martial art, which i personally find much more relaxing and therapeutic.

6. AmericanTerrorist

AmericanTerrorist Bliss

Forcibly tell myself ef it. I did all I could do about this and I'll deal with it later. I've thought about it enough for now. And then if it's really bad I'll just make myself watch a movie or something on tv or read.

like today i'm so mad at the bank and NEED to figure something out about the bank... but the bank is closed and I can't talk to anyone til the morning. So, I Just.... BLOCK, PUSH it out of mind... not shit I can do now anyways.

7. SpacemanSpiff

SpacemanSpiff Visitor

I control my racing thoughts by imagining a finish line

but seriously..i just distract myself ...i can usually tell when the thoughts will overwhelm and i purposely start thinking of other things..other fun things like memories of good times

8. Meliai

Meliai Banned

you could try purposely channeling your negative thoughts into something positive.

write a mental list of all the the things for which you're grateful when you lay down to go to bed, or something similar. Maybe reflect on anything positive that happened to you that day.

9. themnax

themnax Senior Member

i don't recall having thought of racing, so i consider this a non-problem.