conspiracy theories were not taken seriuosly.

Discussion in 'Remember When?' started by themnax, Dec 19, 2022.

1. themnax

themnax Senior Member

when i was little, growing up in the fifties, it was kind of a game, there was even a column in argosy, called the honest abe club.

it was kind of a friendly innocent competition. people, kids usually, but adults too, would try to see who could convince each other of the most improbable claims.

2. skip

skip Founder Administrator

Don't remember that, but I do remember conspiracy theories starting off with JFK's murder. That was taken seriously, and still is by many.
    I think that with all the publicity that event generated, people realized they could milk conspiracy theories for money.
    And now politicians are embracing them for fundraising and outright fraud.

scratcho, themnax and Piney like this.
  3. themnax

themnax Senior Member

i was indeed refering to before the kennidy thing. pretty much it ended with that.

yes i still don't buy the warren report. and do believe oswald was set up to take the fall, and was killed to prevent him from being able to prove it.

but neither do i buy the assassin on the hill or most of the alternatives offered. i just don't buy where the warren report claims the fatal shot to have come from,
    nor that oswald was where it did when it was fired.

on the other paw of course, if i were any good at writing, i'd rather write about little furry green things from alpha centauri.

4. Intrepid37

Intrepid37 Banned

When we don't feel the answer offered to us passes muster, we will surmise what we believe makes more sense.

Authorities hate when we do that, so they came up with a shaming of it -- a derogatory label to be referred to as "conspiracy theory" and summarily ridiculed.

And when evidence begins to actually lend credence to a postulated alternative, the reeee! gets even more pronounced from the authorities and their obediently accepting followers.

So, what is the real and actual truth when a submitted explanation is unconvincing? Not always easy to know (if there's someone who doesn't want it known and possesses some power of suppression).

If there's a consciousness for us after this life, maybe then we'll know what the facts truly are - whether the truth was told or not. I can hope for that, I suppose.

5. themnax

themnax Senior Member

well its easy to over simplify when reality is almost invariably nuanced.

its not THAT hard though, to fact check, by never taking any only one source at face value.
    and when it is not worth looking deeper, to accept that when we don't, we simply don't know what we don't,
    instead of conflating any single alternate possibility as certain.

Toker likes this.
  6. Bilby

Bilby Lifetime Supporter and Freerangertarian Super Moderator

I have no problem with conspiracy theories provided they treated as conspiracy theories, not as a matter of fact.

Toker likes this.
  7. Intrepid37

Intrepid37 Banned

I have no problem with facts, provided they're not treated as conspiracy theories.

8. jimandjan

jimandjan Member

Fact or theory. I wish they would just tell the truth.
    Fact being you can listen to 1 channel and it will tell you what a good job, the democrats are doing. Or you can listen to another channel that tells you what a good job the republicans are doing. It's just what you want to believe. Me I believe they are both lying.

9. Intrepid37

Intrepid37 Banned

I think Democrat-supporting mainstream media does most of the lying.

10. jimandjan

jimandjan Member

I will agree 100% when talking about inflation and the economy. Being retired and on fixed income, buying basic things needed to live on. The inflation rate is much higher than, the 8% they claim.
    They make this claim that things are free, Someone has to pay taxes, that also pays their salary.

11. tjr1964

tjr1964 Members

The same Group that killed RFK, Martin Luther King Jr, faked the Golf of Tolkin, had the Iranians hold the Hostages after the 1980 Election, swept Iran / Contra under the rug, help steal the Election in 2000, allowed 9-11 and are trying to get Trump back into the White House ... American Oligarchs killed JFK .

12. ~Zen~

~Zen~ California Tripper Administrator

That is hilarious!

13. newo

newo Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

So many conspiracy theories have been pulled out of someone's ass that when somebody uncovers an actual conspiracy they're not taken seriously. It's the boy who cried wolf syndrome.

And the idea behind a conspiracy is to stay secret, so those taking part will go to great lengths to keep outsiders from hearing about it. Even when a conspiracy is made public you can be certain you're not hearing the whole story.

themnax, ~Zen~ and Tishomingo like this.
  14. Coachdb18

Coachdb18 Members

And THIS is why Joe Biden claims he only has six grandchildren....

15. newo

16. scratcho

scratcho Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

Some ignoramus in the government tried to tell the Media / public that a sighting of a UFO was actually swamp gas!! Might have been the late 50s.:confused:

tjr1964 likes this.
  17. newo

Here's a conspiracy theory for you: the cocaine found in the White House was planted by a MAGAphile at the behest of his or her orange god!

But even if it turns out to be proven, Coach will still support Trump!

tjr1964 and scratcho like this.
  18. tjr1964

tjr1964 Members

And this is why you have your threads go bad for you .

scratcho and Tishomingo like this.
  19. wilsjane

wilsjane Nutty Professor HipForums Supporter

Did you know that human life is not native to this planet, but planted here from Zok around 10,000 years ago.

All those UFO's we keep seeing, are just making comedy films and sending them home. :);)

scratcho likes this.
  20. Tishomingo

Tishomingo Members

It's a conspiracy, I tell you! A big cover up. Greatest scandal of the century! At least that's what NY Post, Breitbart, ipatriot, and Redstate keep telling us--far greater than the multiple crimes and sexual peccadilloes of the Donald. And the rightwing hacks dutifully spread the latest Retrumplican talking points on internet sites like HF. Retrumplicans smelled blood in the water early on with Hunter, who is or was admittedly a mess. Hence your obsession with him. I guess such Retrumplican efforts might be characterized as a conspiracy, but we think of them as "politics as usual" (especially for Republicans). The challenge is linking the sins of the son to those of the father.

But it seems that Hunter has been paying child support, and will be paying more.
    Hunter Biden Settles Child-Support Case
    Hunter Biden child support: President's son settles with daughter's mother privately
    DNA evidence seems to confirmed his paternity, but Hunter denied it. Why would Joe not acknowledge the child as his granddaughter? I don't know, but I understand that family dynamics can put grandparents in awkward positions. If the son is challenging paternity and refusing contact with the kid in an messy court battle, what's grandpa to do? Having lost two of his children, Biden is understandably interested in maintaining his tie to the remaining one.

Anyhow, Coach, I don't think this is major in deciding someone's effectiveness as President. And I think it's petty of you to slip it in as an aside on conspiracy theories.

Last edited: Jul 7, 2023