Consciousness: Emergent property or A'Priori condition?

Discussion in 'Philosophy and Religion' started by NoxiousGas, Dec 19, 2012.

1. Dejavu

Dejavu Until the great unbanning

thedope:
    No, the part does define the whole. It is never apart from it. Definition is only ever in continuation.

I can and do, just like everyone else. Do you deny our existence?

That makes sense.

And that doesn't. Infinity is not finitely what it is, but infinitely so. It is not bound by any idea of completion in itself. It is boundless.

And? You haven't understood this:
    ∞ = ∞
    ∞ ≠ 1

That's misidentification, you dissembling devil. :-D

2. thedope

thedope glad attention Lifetime Supporter

If the part defines the whole we can say Dejavu is in all things, but I doubt there is much Dejavu in a can of soda.

I mean as in human species. While a member of the species you are only one half of a dimorphic sexual entity.

That a thing be boundless does not mean it is incomplete. Boundless doesn't mean that reality is yet to be. It is now, always now, infinitely so.

I don't claim infinity has a condition any more than I do love. Everything happens now or not at all.

It also denies the power of self, suggesting you are not your own will or depreciating the power of your own mind. To project responsibility is to throw away your power as though you never had it.

3. Dejavu

thedope:
    No you can't, but you can say I help define all things if you like though. :-D

So? We all nevertheless represent human being, as a species or individually.

That it's always now means its completion is ongoing, hence my saying that no idea of completion in itself binds infinity to itself. Infinity is infinite. There is no a priori consciousness. Everything is emergent. Nothing comes before it does.

Then why claim it is one?

No it doesn't. That is the result of the backwards notion that being can somehow preclude becoming. Identification needn't come to any ultimatum. Only in proceeding from the self does it result in it. That you think it can in any way deny it, is superfluous to it.

4. thedope

Only in part, and as you try suggest with your formula, infinity does not equal one,

Fact is you drink mothers milk before you are able to eat steak.

Is reality many different realities? I think are are different perspectives on reality.

5. Dejavu

In part as individuals, and altogether as a whole. No matter the extent, human being is being represented.

That's right. Nothing comes before it does.

Reality is as little one thing as it is different things, being infinite.

6. thedope

It never comes in a different order, it being mothers milk before steak.

7. Dejavu

No, that's right. It never does. Lest we forget? lol

8. Mountain Valley Wolf

Mountain Valley Wolf Senior Member

To step back just a bit----Dejavu, as I recall you said that there is no a priori. How would you respond to Kant, who modernized rationalism, when he says that there is a pure knowledge, and an empirical knowledge. Pure knowledge to him is a priori. One example he gives of this a priori is that every change has a cause. Time is another a priori.

He then distinguishes between this kind of a priori knowledge and synthetic a priori knowledge, such as 1+1=2. This is a given (not in the Platonic essentalist sense of the perfect form), but we do not understand it without experience--therefore it is a learned universal. But pure knowledge is not learned and therefore a true a priori.

9. Mountain Valley Wolf

Mountain Valley Wolf Senior Member

To step back just a bit----Dejavu, as I recall you said that there is no a priori. How would you respond to Kant, who modernized rationalism, when he says that there is a pure knowledge, and an empirical knowledge. Pure knowledge to him is a priori. One example he gives of this a priori is that every change has a cause. Time is another a priori.

He then distinguishes between this kind of a priori knowledge and synthetic a priori knowledge, such as 1+1=2. This is a given (not in the Platonic essentalist sense of the perfect form), but we do not understand it without experience--therefore it is a learned universal. But pure knowledge is not learned and therefore a true a priori.

10. Dejavu

No a priori consciousness, that is, no consciousness before its embodiment. 'Disembodiment' existing only as an error of reason. Causality does not necessitate a first cause. Nor is there a priori condition, or pre-existence, condition being existence itself. We speak of precondition only in relation to causes. Condition comes. The only sense in which it comes before anything is our own. Pure reason? That a thing may be known beyond or before its experience? Time for instance? A lot of talk, no?! :)

11. thedope

What do you make of genetic code. Is it not a pri fix program of creature development?

12. Dejavu

Genetic code is in development.

13. tikoo

tikoo Senior Member

i'll think there are 3 forms of life and all are conscious - plant , animal ,
    and the creatures of light . all can intersect with human unless the human
    bean is dismissively humanistic .

are the humanistic laws of physics attuned to a conscious of 3 ... ?
    no , and because consciousness is policed . the lights within the medicine
    lodge are alien outlaws , and this is war , and why not be a child of light ?

banjo , banjo

oops , hope you don't mind but the Lights can mess with the internet
    just like one of 'em can fly around in the brain of a butterfly . expect
    weirdness , ahhh , good weirdness . magical love wins the war .

14. Dejavu

:)

15. thedope

It gains experience but it orchestrates an individuals physical unfoldment based on what went before.

Before what you say?

Before the sensation that follows.

16. Dejavu

thedope:
    Everything, in being based on itself, is based on everything else. Predetermination no doubt 'applies' if you're looking for it! lol Let's not arrest our consciousness! Let's hold ourselves to things, and our words for them, in laughter! :-D

17. thedope

Snickers?

18. Dejavu

Satisfies. If it no longer does, you wouldn't deny it once did, would you? And if it never? Well, then, what are you snickering about?
    :-D

19. I can't say for absolute certain what it is, where it is, or what it looks like. I don't pretend to know what this is really all made of. You can name it anything, but that explains nothing and captures nothing.

All I do is think I see things. Think I hear things. Think I think logically, somewhere...somewhere I think I am. There's no proof whatsoever. See anything you like and add it up, and it's still all invisible in a certain way.

Sometimes I wonder if there's a distant planet where there are mythical creatures called humans, and I'm actually a walking myth.

20. guerillabedlam

guerillabedlam _|=|-|=|_

I just read a book on Emergence which has brought me back to this thread. I feel like reading some material on examples of A priori arguments would probably tilt my view back towards center but as the Emergence book is fresh in mind, I'll comment on how I feel Emergence relates to the thread topic.

Consciousness is an emergent property insofar that it is resultant of simpler conditions. The 'simpler' reactions, formations, and conditions that occur to give rise to living organisms allow for the complex phenomena of consciousness to emerge in said organisms.