Concert tickets priced by race

Discussion in 'Latest Hip News Stories' started by Deleted member 42017, Jul 7, 2019.

1. This is pretty weird actually. An event in Detroit is charging "POC" $10 + tax for entry. However, "Non-POC" are charged $20 +tax. This is for advanced tickets. For gate tickets it's $20 for POC and $40 for Non-POC (gee, who are they talking about with this?).

One of the performers, Tiny Jag, has pulled out because she sees it as blatant discrimination. She has taken this position because she is biracial and much of her work is from a project she called "Polly", the name of her white grandmother.

What's weird is how many filters that actually went through and the justifications used by the promoters.

AfroFuture FEST
    HOW is it possible that EventBrite actually thought this was acceptable.

Detroit rapper won't play music festival over race-based ticket pricing

Tiny Jag pulls out of AfroFuture Fest after learning white people would be charged a different price to attend

CloudyMushroom likes this.
  2. 6-eyed shaman

6-eyed shaman Sock-eye salmon

Ya gotta love leftist politics

They think that the only way to correct for the racism of the past, is to practice MORE racism.

3. Irminsul

Irminsul Valkyrie

Yeah, well.. I wouldn't pay anything to see Tony Jag whoever he is so nerr. :p

Eric! and ChallengerDream20 like this.
  4. Driftrue

Driftrue Banned

Well that is weird.
    I would imagine most people would agree, whatever their political leanings.

5. deleted

deleted Visitor

There is bigotry at all concerts. Rich vs Poor. Just try and go to a seat you're not assigned too .. ;)

Eric! and ChallengerDream20 like this.
  6. Eric!

Eric! Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

Wow, idiots are allowed to continue to make dumb decisions- when will it all stop???

7. Asmodean

Asmodean Slo motion rider

Yups, this says something about leftist politics in general, more so than just the particular organisers behind this thingie. After all, we see this so often. And the political left is always behind this :D

Nice try as usual...
    Uhm... she's actually on the same page as us and protests against this. Btw: i don't know her or her music either :p

8. Asmodean

Nuh-uh! The right would never pull such shit at concerts, bars or other cultural events! They just don't have it in them :-D

Driftrue likes this.
  9. 6-eyed shaman

To elaborate, it's the culture of leftist politics that causes this. Too often we're reminded of bigoted wrongdoings of the past, and in order to compensate for those wrongdoings, lots of people of leftist ideology perpetuate the notion that the people who's ancestors were on the receiving end of these wrongs, need better treatment by practicing racism in a different direction.

We are all equal, they say. But some are more equal than others, they believe.

10. I'minmyunderwear

I'minmyunderwear Newbie

i don't know, she is pretty cute.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

on the other hand, when i googled her to find these pics, pretty much every single result was about this incident. which is a good sign that she's not much of a musician, or she would likely be getting some recognition outside of this.

Eric! likes this.
  11. Irminsul

Irminsul Valkyrie

I would not accept 20$ to see her.

12. Asmodean

I don't think too often. As a lot of people still choose to be retardedly ignorant about them. But it may be brought up in an annoying or unconstructive way. I would not blame this solely or at first instance at leftist politics. It can also be seen as a counterreaction.
    I don't think a lot of them are for practicing blatant racism in a different direction. A lot of them are for a certain amount of positive discrimination. A subtile difference, which in some instances may be well ment but negatively impact others. This seems to be such an example
    This doesn't really make sense. Hope you realize that and are just trying to agitate 'leftists' ;)
    Probably not though, as i saw it trying to be put as if its a spot on remark on here several times already (by ************ for example). Must be an overused phrase on alt right media: they're really good at twisting stuff in order to make it sound like a righteous truthbomb (and then let their readers spread it on social media)

Driftrue likes this.
  13. 6-eyed shaman

Positive discrimination? When is discrimination ever positive? Especially jacking up ticket prices for people of a certain skin color.

Well if they see certain forms of discrimination as positive, then thank you for proving my point.

Last edited: Jul 9, 2019
    CloudyMushroom likes this.
  14. Asmodean

It depends on the details wether it is not only positive in intent but also in outcome. The ticket sale at the event in OP is obviously an example where the outcome is not that positive. Which could be known in advance :p We would almost think it was a publicity stunt, not an actual action that was ment to be carried out in seriousness.

Maybe look up the definition of positive discrimination. You have been arguing for and defending positive discrimination in the past (when you argued the white protestant culture should be favored in your country). I looked up 2 for your convenience:
    -----
    (in the context of the allocation of resources or employment) the practice or policy of favouring individuals belonging to groups known to have been discriminated against previously.
    ----
    Positive discrimination means making sure that people such as women, members of smaller racial groups, and people with disabilities get a fair share of the opportunities available.
    -----
    But although english definitions seem to always include its about previous negatively discriminated minorities that doesn't have to be the case by definition at all. For the longest time in our two nations the white protestant majority was subjected to positive discrimination. And not merely because it was the majority (which is often simply how it turns out in a democracy ;)) but because they were in control and favored themselves.

As pointed out giving one group an advantage over the others (positive discrimination) is not only or typically a leftist trait.

Driftrue likes this.
  15. BirdFlu

BirdFlu resident alien

Im a radical leftist and this is stupid bullshit. Im glad this young woman stood up for true equality.

Barros Serrano likes this.
  16. Irminsul

Irminsul Valkyrie

I would go to the Martinsville 500 concert if it was priced by race.

17. RandomFind

RandomFind Visitor

Even though this is old news I guess?
    I am shocked to read this is a 2019 event!

We are all POC!
    That term itself sucks an almighty turd.

How is this allowed to get so far along without at least one eyebrow being raised somewhere in the official body!

Just wow.

So yeah, the whole white community turns out to a rap concert because it was cheap?
    Load of old waffle.......
    I surely wouldn’t pay a pound to see something of no interest to me.

So many levels of ignorance!
    Rant over.

18. eggsprog

eggsprog anti gang marriage HipForums Supporter

Dude, did you have to dig up an old thread to continue your argument? Just keep it to the other thread.

19. Asmodean

I'm sorry you see it so black and white. It makes you wrong by default when you talk about the left as 'we'. Just like the political right it is not a uniform group who all favor the same methods and goals.

20. eggsprog

eggsprog anti gang marriage HipForums Supporter

I've met a lot of misogynists and racists on the left, too, unfortunately.