Computer mice

Discussion in 'Computers and The Internet' started by meridianwest, Apr 15, 2014.

1. meridianwest

meridianwest Senior Member

What kind of mouse/mice do you use? are you for regular standard mice, or do you spend a little extra for that one mouse boasting a few technical enhancements over the others?

most of my experience has been with shit cheap 1000-1600 DPI wireless mice, but a couple of weeks ago i really upgraded myself to a 120-Euro Razer Ouroboros. i'm not even a gamer at that. but i needed a mouse and when i saw the Ouroboros i really liked the design and technical specs so i dished out some cash for it.

http://www.razerzone.com/gaming-mice/razer-ouroboros

it has its issues, it has some major issues, in fact, for a tiny little thing costing that much. but i've realized it just has a steep learning curve. most people want their mouse to be a plug-it-in-and-forget-about-it, and my initial approach was the same. i've now understood that getting to a usage level anywhere nearing easy with the Ouroboros takes some time. you can customize absolutely every technical aspect of this product, and some of the things we're really not used to customizing on a mouse and don't even know where its optimal values are at, that using this mouse becomes a sort of trial-and-error to get through. frustrating in the beginning, but i would imagine it'll pay off in the long run. it's moody the first weeks you use it, but i now realize it's my inexperience with the technical aspects underlying mouse design that makes it so, not the actual mouse fault itself. although, the software it uses to gain access to all of those settings has known issues for most people using it.

what about you? do you have any favorites? some mouse you would recommend to other people? some arcane discovery most people don't know about, but is worth the try?

i would recommend Ouroboros for the ability to adjust its physical dimensions and shape to suit your hand. in this sense Razer has really excelled with this mouse (you can adjust the overall length of the mouse and the angle of the palm rest, it has two different side panels, and is fully ambidextrous). but for ease of usage, the Ouroboros would definitely not live up to. it is difficult, acts difficult at times, and can make for some pretty frustrating moments. so, i would not recommend it unless you're that type of person who is willing to invest weeks, if not months, to learn to use all of its features optimally. there are much cheaper mice that are much easier than Ouroboros. my own 8-Euro cheapo alternative works more consistently than the Ouroboros. but then again, i am willing to put months into getting to know it.

2. eggsprog

eggsprog anti gang marriage HipForums Supporter

I just use a cheap wireless mouse and keyboard combo. Logitech M310 (mouse) and K520 (keyboard). Cost me like $20 or $30 for the set and they work flawlessly.

Orison likes this.
  3. Manservant Hecubus

Manservant Hecubus Master of Funk and Evil

My current mouse is some cheap old Mircrosoft thing with a cord.
    I had a wireless set up the but the keyboard pooped out and the mouse doesn't have an M4 thumb button, which I've become reliant upon for ESO. The corded mouse has the button.

Love to get me a good wireless gamer set up but it's way down on the priority list.

4. Spectacles

Spectacles My life is a tapestry Lifetime Supporter

My mouse is on a leash too.

Orison likes this.
  5. Deranged

Deranged Senor Member

Try laying down traps baited with cheese or peanut butter and seal up all food

6. Dude111

Dude111 An Awesome Dude HipForums Supporter

I have a laser mouse with a cord :) (I do not like wireless stuff)

Bilby likes this.
  7. jagerhans

jagerhans Far out, man. Lifetime Supporter

i use a MS wireless desktop set because i watch the monitor from my couch. also another wireless mouse for the TV is present. cord mouse and keyboard are present for 'local' operation , also because i need a wired international keyboard in addition to the wireless italian one.
    oh, then there is the commodore 1351for GEOS...
    [​IMG]

8. meridianwest

i can't imagine using a cord. i'm so used to wireless the cord just starts annoying me. i've tried to go back to it and it's no longer the most comfortable option.

Mine has a dual sensor, both optical and laser.

9. meridianwest

sounds nice.

yeah, i usually switch between Italian and English and French on my keyboard. it's annoying but i can't imagine that having two separate keyboards for language is any less annoying...

how old is that Commodore, lol?

10. jagerhans

jagerhans Far out, man. Lifetime Supporter

it's not just for the language, i need a mini-din wired keyboard anyways because while in the BIOS setup the usb wireless one won't work.
    the C64-c is from 1986, while the two 1571 disk drives and the mps-1230 printer are more recent.

11. relaxxx

relaxxx Senior Member

Wico Command Control,

[​IMG]

I actually had one of these converted to USB mouse with an extra button for right clicks...
    Until my son destroyed it. It was excellent for MAME too.

12. AceK

AceK Scientia Potentia Est

[​IMG]
    Keylog this asshole;) :D

13. Dude111

Dude111 An Awesome Dude HipForums Supporter

Yea well what I hate most about wireless is: If the signal gets weaker it doesnt work as good #1 and #2 <<>> having more RF present is not good for you to be exposed to....

14. Irminsul

Irminsul Valkyrie

I have a gaming mouse that cost me a lot about 7 years ago. Does the same thing as a normal mouse.

15. hotwater

hotwater Senior Member Lifetime Supporter

16. Vanilla Gorilla

Vanilla Gorilla Go Ape

Whatever happened to meridianwest?

17. maxmayer

maxmayer Members

I have a laser mouse