composting and feeding plants

Discussion in 'Gardening' started by TheLizardQueen, Jan 16, 2005.

1. TheLizardQueen

TheLizardQueen horny for knowledge

What kinds of things can you put into compost? I'm a gardening newbie, and I'm very eager to start, so waht ever i can put in will help. now, since it's cold outside, i don't think i can start outside, so is it ok to start growing inside? what should i put it in? how can i keep mold from growing? Any suggestions/answers are helpful.

2. Sherlock Holmes

Sherlock Holmes Member

Try asking about this at the site I gave you in your other post.:)

3. august_moon

august_moon Member

You can put in any vegie scraps from the kitchen except onion or too much citrus peel as the worms don't really dig them. Fallen leaves are a good one and usually available from somewhere as with grassclippings if you can get them.

Try avoiding weeds because if they dont break down then they will spread everywhere when you use it later on, not a good thing! Shreaded paper, old vegie plants, sawdust, dust from the vacuum cleaner bag and ash from old fires.
    Do you have a compost bin or a compost heap in the garden? if its cold put it in the sunniest place.
    You should be able to start growing seeds inside with premium potting mix or even grow in pots indoors instead of out.
    There are many good websites here in Aust for gardening, if you can find any growing tips for Tasmania's conditions, even victoria, it should be helpful to you starting out as the growing conditions are cold there and we just loving gardening us aussies so you should be able to pick up an idea or two for sure!

Happy gardening!

august_moon

4. stonethegardener

stonethegardener Member

I discuss composting on the front page of my website. Basically, it's simpler than people think. Anything that breaks down is probly fine. It's usually a good idea to avoid weeds with seeds, the seeds will come up where-ever you spread the compost.

Planting in the house is a good idea if you want to produce tomato plants for your garden's head start. It is difficult to produce food inside, but-any start is a good start.

Mold? Beware of over-watering. This is the number one cause of indoor plant death.

I salute your intrest! Stone

5. drumminmama

drumminmama Super Moderator Super Moderator

I pick up coffee grounds from the coffee bars nearby.

6. TheLizardQueen

TheLizardQueen horny for knowledge

thank you everyone!

7. dat

dat Member

egg shells ,sea weed,tea,coffe,banana peel,straw,news paper,fallen leaves,cut grass,etc...

8. khronus

khronus Hip Forums Supporter HipForums Supporter