Commentators fear they will be branded racist with a new list of banned words

Discussion in 'The Media' started by Boozercruiser, Sep 14, 2020.

1. Boozercruiser

Boozercruiser Kenny Lifetime Supporter

Please read the below Daily Mail link for the full story.
    Within the article it gives a pre amble in respect of how some common sayings that perhaps most of us have used over the years are now a no go for commentators, and are seen as racist!

To my mind what with statues being pulled down, political correctness and the WOKE and the Black lives matter organization taking over and burying our British history.
    The British way of going on is slowly but surely being buried in an avalanche which is destroying free speech as we know it.

I am thinking that America and Canada and other countries are running into this rubbish as well?
    What say you whatever country you are living in?

------

Commentators fear they will be branded racist after list of banned words was released | Daily Mail Online
    • Some commentators fear they will be caught up in race controversy this season
    • They have received new instructions on language they should now be avoiding
    • Words and phrases including 'cakewalk' and 'nitty gritty' have been prohibited
    • A total of 450 people had taken part in last week's 'avoiding racial bias' session

By DEREK HUNTER and KIERAN GILL and JAMES SHARPE FOR THE MAIL ON SUNDAY

PUBLISHED: 22:30 BST, 12 September 2020 | UPDATED: 21:25 BST, 13 September 2020

Some commentators feel they are 'walking on eggshells' and risk being caught up in a race controversy after receiving new instructions on language they should avoid.

All major broadcasters put commentators through an 'avoiding racial bias' training session last week, with words and phrases including 'cakewalk', 'nitty gritty', 'sold down the river' and 'uppity' among those prohibited.

Details of the online meeting led one experienced former commentator to reflect that 'he would not want to be in the business now', while another currently working at games said he feared 'fingers being pointed' and a logistical minefield, as mental calculations are impossible when calling games.

Last edited: Sep 14, 2020
  2. unfocusedanakin

unfocusedanakin The Archaic Revival Lifetime Supporter

British history is colonization. You thought as white people you had the duty and right to bring your way of life to less fortunate savages.
    Why is it so important that mistakes of your past are the country's identity? Your link explains why the words are bad. No one is trying to erase Monty Python or your numerous contributions to science and engineering. Find something else to be proud of.

granite45 likes this.
  3. wilsjane

wilsjane Nutty Professor HipForums Supporter

The one that amuses me is "It is not black and white"
    This goes back to the days when printing technology was used to make the early films and greyscales were introduced to measure the contrast. It has no connection to skin colour whatsoever.

In the words of Gandhi, We are not black or white. I am brown and you are some shade of dirty pink.

4. Idlewild

Idlewild Members

Conservatives always seem to be desperately searching for something to complain about regarding liberals. When they can't find anything, they make up crap.

I don't agree with everything liberals stand for, but at least they're not pathological liars.

5. Boozercruiser

Boozercruiser Kenny Lifetime Supporter

Well I remember when the Conservatives (and I am a conservative voter) were in coalition with that lot when Nick Clegg was leader and he and they were absolutely useless lying toe rags.
    Remember when the Lib Dem's promised absolutely to abolish student tuition fees in their General Election Manifesto?
    What happened to that then as they sold the students down the river?

It was that plus lots more bullshit which cost them heavily at the next General Election.

What are they now as a party?
    Scrag ends my friend.
    Scrag ends with either Bob Hope or No Hope of ever winning a General Election!