Coming Soon!

Discussion in 'Indiana' started by WonderlostVW73, Apr 7, 2016.

1. WonderlostVW73

WonderlostVW73 Midwest Librarian

Well it looks as though the deal is done and I'll be moving to Seymour, Indiana in about 12 days. I'm researching the are and while I think I can be content there I'm a little worried about my 14 year old since he's pretty outspoken and this seems to be bit of a churchy area...

I'm also looking at houses and found this one; which I LOVE. What do you think of fixing up an old house??

http://www.realtor.com/realestateandhomes-detail/615-N-Chestnut-St_Seymour_IN_47274_M36514-18340#photo28

Any Southeast Indiana people on here?? I'm really hopeful that I'm going to like it here. The climate is a huge improvement over what I've got in El Paso. I can have my garden and flowers now. OMG, I've never missed grass so much.

Attached Files:

2. GLENGLEN

GLENGLEN Banned

What On Earth Is That Big Round Turrent On The Right....???

Cheers Glen.

3. tumbling.dice

tumbling.dice Visitor

You'll be passing through my neck of the woods. I live in western Kentucky.

1 person likes this.
  4. Asmodean

Asmodean Slo motion rider

The observatory :)

1 person likes this.
  5. Tyrsonswood

Tyrsonswood Senior Moment Lifetime Supporter

That's where the ghost stays, haven't you watched any old movies?

2 people like this.
  6. Terrapin2190

Terrapin2190 I am nature.

That house looks amazing! Are you prepared to... See More... in Seymour?? (sorry, I couldn't resist)

I've heard someone complain about the Right To Work laws in Indiana. So, just a heads up, be wary of that.

1 person likes this.
  7. Moonglow181

Moonglow181 Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

WOW! That house is AWESOME! I love victorian houses...they are the kind where ghosts live.....
    The house is beautiful, as i can see its potential in all of its previous glory...i always see things with those eyes..potential....but the house, cleaned up....is decent to live in already.....I think...i don't know about the plumbing, electrical...etc.....the things unseen in the photos.....but that is a great price for a house like that, and if you can do it...lucky you!

I would love to buy an old Victorian house one day....they are wonderful and inspire the muses in me.... I think they are my favorite type of house....

Now, you have me curious about Indiana. i know nothing about that state.....I knew someone that moved there once, and that was all I ever knew of it....

The green of the house with the maroon on the outiside are great colors, too....

let us know if you get this house, lucky you!

8. expanse

expanse Supporters HipForums Supporter

Nearly half of the people I work with are from southeast Indiana. They are good people, but it would probably be a good idea to speak to your son about the churchiness. And if you are not racist, or homophobic, then keep it to yourself until you get to know who you are talking to.

It's not like anyone is going to do anything harmful to you over your beliefs (other than discriminate at work, or something like that), but watching what you say could keep down a lot of heated disagreements.

It's not much different than a lot of places in ky, where I live.

9. morrow

morrow Visitor

Omg! What kind of place are you all talking about. Sounds like Stepford!

Isn't doing what people want, keeping that crap alive?

1 person likes this.
  10. WonderlostVW73

Have you never seen a Victorian era house? I don't think turret really describes it; a turret is on a castle battlement, is higher than the walls and more often crenelated. I've heard them called witches hats and cupola's before and cupola doesn't really fit it either. I dunno, ask the architect.

I'm originally from Paducah. I'll be going down there to visit some cousins who live in Fulton and AVOID my convict brother. LOL

Yeah, I'm getting an ear full about Indiana's crap.. I expect to have a politician in my uterus too. I'm following my old man's job. I just hope I can find something to do there that isn't bible study.

If not this house I'll be working towards something similar.. I actually want something with a little more land. I swear this house would be a dream come true for me.. Sadly though, the inspection I read shows A LOT of problems so I don't think I'm going to bother. I love old houses.. I'd give up everything to call one my own. Something with a summer kitchen and poket doors..And a couple of cabins on the property so I'd never be lonely. Just toodle around in the yard messing with plants and shooing a dog.

Yeah, I moved to Texas to get away from my family and nosey neighbors. Texas is too damn dry and brown..LOL I don't give a damn if they burn a cross in my yard.. I'll plant weeds in theirs. I'm fully prepared to be the weird lady in town. Maybe I'll paint the house we get like a rainbow and sell voodoo dolls.

It does sound like Stepford. The town has a few bars and I know there's an art car that hails from the radio station.. I'm hoping I can weird the place up a bit.

3 people like this.
  11. Vanilla Gorilla

Vanilla Gorilla Go Ape

Only $80,000 seriously?, probably not a bargain in Indiana.

But you cant even buy a letterbox for that in Sydney

12. Vanilla Gorilla

Vanilla Gorilla Go Ape

Smokers room

Since it is in Seymour, they regularly have to empty out Seymour Butts

3 people like this.
  13. tumbling.dice

tumbling.dice Visitor

Cool, I'm from Mayfield. GO CARDINALS, lol.

1 person likes this.
  14. WonderlostVW73

Or in Maryland, which is where I was a year ago.. Lost my long time jobs, both of them. Got brought back into one, found another. Still couldn't make it without welfare so I split. There's too many poor people in this country and not enough money to go around.

LOL, I wish I were moving to a cool place like Hangman's Crossing.. (sigh)

LOL, Ok. I'll have to go with that since I don't know who the Cardinals are.

1 person likes this.
  15. stormountainman

stormountainman Soy Un Truckero

In Indiana it usually serves as a stair well or a sunny room, or parlor.

1 person likes this.
  16. Bud D

Bud D Member

I live in Ohio and spent time in Indiana. There are cool people but then the public is more conservative. I guess we are still counter culture in the mid west.

17. WonderlostVW73

Well I didn't get that house.. On close inspection the whole thing is falling apart and that turret thing is just a tiny space for some cool curved glass windows. It will wind up being town down if no one gets it soon. I am renting a smaller, nicer Victorian for only 900 bucks a month so I'm happy. I kept being told there was a housing shortage and feel like I got the last house in town. It's super cute. cheapest rent I've had in years. Now I'm ready to infiltrate the racist, religious nuts and make them like my smiling pagan ass before they burn me at the stake.

2 people like this.
  18. tumbling.dice

tumbling.dice Visitor

Good luck with that!! :D

19. Vanilla Gorilla

Vanilla Gorilla Go Ape

There's a town called Blue Ball in Ohio

20. xXKittyxCrusaderXx

xXKittyxCrusaderXx Member

love the house. I hope you enjoy Indy :daisy: