Coming out to parents...

Discussion in 'Coming Out and Confused!' started by Witkacy, Mar 13, 2008.

1. Witkacy

Witkacy Member

Hey everyone! I'm a queer girl about to graduate college (I use queer instead of bisexual, because to me the "bi" in bisexual implies belief in the gender binary, and I feel it's a bit exclusionary towards genderqueer people and the like). Here at college, I'm out of the closet and frolicking in the gay sunshine, but my parents don't know, though sometimes I wonder if they might have guessed. Recently I've decided that I want to come out to my parents before I graduate, and I'm pretty scared. They're Catholic, my mom more fanatically so than my dad, and though they're liberal and say it's great that my college is such an accepting place, they still just haven't had much experience with this sort of thing and gender issues and issues of sexuality are things they just don't think about (for example, I don't know how many times I've had to explain to my father why he can't refer to my old MTF trans roommate as "he"). I also worry that the fact that I'm not 100% lesbian will confuse matters, and they'll try to brush it off as some sort of phase or something, since I'll have to admit that yes, I like straight guys too.

Anyway, I'm really nervous and worried about it, and just looking from some support from other queer hippies. Do you have any advice? How did you come out to your parents?

2. Puzuzzu

Puzuzzu Member

good luck, although for the bi thing, i think you should come out as bi (well it depends of which side of the bi scale you are on)

3. Joey*

Joey* Freaky Supportr Dude

I wish it goes well for you [​IMG] Although I never came out to family I understand what you're going thru,for me accepting it myself was a big step.I told 1 close friend and my gf knows and 1 other straight friend (that I hit on in the past lol)knows.That was hard enough!I just can't do it with my family yet guess I'm not ready.I know how hard it can be and my heart goes out to anyone going thru it.Take your time do it when you're ready and be prepared for any reaction.If your parents love you it should work out after the initial shock.
    Peace & Love,
    Good Luck,..