Coming close to every vegetarians nightmare...

Discussion in 'Vegetarian' started by gentle revolutionary, Jan 21, 2005.

1. gentle revolutionary

gentle revolutionary Member

as irrational as it is...

I ordered a veggie burger today and got a chicken burger:mad: . I spit the first bite.
    Poor, poor slaughtered chicken :*(

2. Loki84

Loki84 Member

I'd have definitely complained about something like that. where was it at?

3. Elle

Elle Senior Member

Burger King? Aren't they the ones who now offer veggie bugers? How are they? I've been a little scared to try one......:eek:

4. t-dub

t-dub Pass me the pepper

elle, ive tryed one, and they arent that bad at all! :D pretty yummy.. just watch out for mayo if you dont like it. they are pretty close to Garden Burger themselves... not too sure what the brand is... maybe their website has more info on who makes them and what is in it

i definatly recomend!

5. MountainMan

MountainMan Member

i really dont think i would want to eat a veggie burger from burger king just becuase i cant imagine in my wildest dreams that they would take the precautions in the kitchen to keep other meat stuff off them

6. gentle revolutionary

It wasn't burger king, but a pub (give me some credit;-). They've got veggie burgers almost everywhere in London now. I guess I should have been a bit nasty to him, but I somehow always feel sorry for the idiots who mess things up like that.

7. Myranya

Myranya Slytherin Girl

In this case, wouldn't it be better to eat it than to turn it back? I get the impression that for most people here, the whole animal wellfare, environment, sustainability etc is the most important factor in being vegetarian (which is, btw, one of the reasons why I as non-vegetarian look at some of the posts; while I don't want to miss my meat I do look into a lot of sustainability and environment stuff and eat a lot of organic foods). Turning food back in a restaurant, especially if you only notice after you've taken a bite, they will throw it in the trash. Isn't that a bigger waste than if you'd eaten it?

8. Beach Bum

Beach Bum Hip Forums Supporter HipForums Supporter

i feel the same way.
    do u eat at taco bell? cause if so
    youre bound to eat some beef.

9. Elle

Elle Senior Member

Yeah, I don't think I would ever order anything veggie from a fast food place, and I love refried bean tacos but I stay far away from taco bell:eek: As far as if I ever got meat instead of the veggie I ordered, I would throw it out. I just wouldn't want dead animal in my body, even though to throw it away would be a waste. More likely though I would just save it and bring it home to my cat or something.

10. Beach Bum

Beach Bum Hip Forums Supporter HipForums Supporter

yehh Elle, i love those too.
    im really gettin into cookin a lot so that...ya know,
    i know exactly what im eatin.

11. drumminmama

drumminmama Super Moderator Super Moderator

my cat and the neighbors dog reap the benefits of goof ups.
    I stick to one TB and they really go the extra mile for me.
    I do have to answer the "why are ya veg" questions, but they are rarely truly confrontational.
    One worker did some more research and has cut out all but fish so far. That's in a month. She susupects she'll be lacto-ovo by March.
    as for getting the wrong thing, mistakes happen and the more people in a system of food production (two cooks and a server, for example,)the easier it is for goof ups to get to you.
    I eyeball all food at restaurants before actually touching it so at least the cooks could eat it.

12. Sunny Afternoon

Sunny Afternoon Member

Once when I was in hospital I asked for a plain omlette and got one with ham in it. Ick. |: Didn't realise until I bit into it, I was almost sick. :(

13. juggla

juggla Member

think about the poor vegies being slaughtered to make your veggie burger, you should be ashamed.

14. DoktorAtomik

DoktorAtomik Closed For Business

Yeah, isn't it amazing how much more receptive people can be when you treat them like human beings? That's why I think it's not very productive when you get preachy veggies and vegans. People stop listening.

15. gentle revolutionary

If you're into sustainability, join the anticapitalist movement.
    I don’t eat exploited, slaughtered fellow creatures…And I certainly don’t eat at Taco Bell. And if I owned a cat, I would give it only specialized vegetarian food (many people do that, and the pets are fine with it). I’m not mad about cats, though. They’re quite cruel animals (not just in the sense of being less affectionate than dogs). Once I saw a cat playing with a little mousie in front of my grandma’s house. She let him(her) climb up the wall of the house a bit, then picked him with her claws, then she let him go…and caught him again…until I stepped in and made her run away, thus SAVING THE MOUSE!!!:D :) :sunglasse
    I wasn't allowed to enjoy my victory for too long, cause he ran inside the house and under the bed. Everybody was angry at me. It was worth it.
    We're best penpals now:p

16. stephaniesomewhere

stephaniesomewhere Member

The number of field mice that I saved from the press at the winery where I worked once....seriously, if you don't want to have any animal on your concious then you are going to have to stay clear of most mass produced foods, all sorts of things fall in crushing and mixng vats!!!
    Myself? well I love cats ( my darling lived till she was twenty one, favourite diet...cheese!!) and yes they are mean little creatures aren't they...but then they aren't human and so I sorta expect that..when people start behaving like them then I have to wonder!!
    I now don't have any animals and also try to eat as carefully as possible to avoid highly processed foods which might have animals in them or harm animals in the process, but geez if someone gives me meat in a restaurant when I ordered something else well stuff them, no meat eater I know would happily have a salad when they had ordered a steak!!! Customer service and all that!!!
    :D

17. Myranya

Myranya Slytherin Girl

But most meat eaters aren't so concerned about sustainability, waste and environment! That was my point... I probably would eat whatever I was served because although I eat meat, I hate waste... I've eaten stuff at home I really didn't like but didn't want to throw out, and I would at a fastfood restaurant or something... no, not at an expensive restaurant because the few times I've decided to treat myself to an expensive, three-course meal I've already decided to be wasteful and enjoy the evening. But in a simple place, yes, the more I think about it the more I think I would.

18. Tarka Dhaling

Tarka Dhaling Member

gentle revolutionary - I see you are in london have you tried the burgers here? they are delicious www.redveg.com

19. Hikaru Zero

Hikaru Zero Sylvan Paladin

Just a side note: I don't think many veg*ns are too preachy, just a select few. We do tend to get a little towards that when we're given something we didn't ask for, but I usually complain not because it's not vegan, but because I got something that I didn't order.

I really do hate it, though, when you get something that isn't vegan, and bite into it, only to realize that something is terribly, terribly wrong with it (lol). It doesn't really ANGER me at my roots, but it's quite annoying and I'll definately take up an argument over it if the other person is going to argue back or say something snotty about being vegan.

20. gentle revolutionary

Thank you Tarka Dgaling. I've heard of them before, but I never went there. I like the commie placard:)