combining dreadlocks together

Discussion in 'Dreadlocks' started by RYEAIRBUDDHA, Jan 26, 2005.

1. RYEAIRBUDDHA

RYEAIRBUDDHA Newbie

Can a group of thin dreadlocks combine together to make a massive lock? Do we have control of thickness of the lock once it is already dread locked? how do you combine locks?
    love yah

2. MoonjavaSeed

MoonjavaSeed Yeah, Toast!

hahah what the shit?! wht do you wanna do that?! :D

well..i like your dreadlings anyhow. :)

3. WayfaringStranger

WayfaringStranger Corporate Slave #34

patience. basically all of your dreads are gonna dread together, your job is to keep them seperated. so you can not seperat them as much. but make sure they are all comin from the same part of your head, if not they will hurt. also after a year or two, with all the hair that has fallen out of your head but are still in your dread, and the new hair that has grown in, they will get plenty of fat.

4. Earthy Mama

Earthy Mama Feel my wrath... ;)

if you want them to go together you can help them by taking a few and tying a piece of hemp at the top so the top hairs by the root combine and start to stick together. Cut the hemp off after a couple weeks and let them dread together on their own after that.

5. RYEAIRBUDDHA

RYEAIRBUDDHA Newbie

Thank you all for your advise. I will try the hemp string thingy.
    Oh just so you all know I did not wanna make my whole head one dread big dreaddy, I just wanna make some of the thin ones; one bigger dread so instead of having 100 dreads to have like 75 or 58.
    Hey moonjavaseed How is life? How long have you had your REally preety looking dreadies.
    One love

6. MoonjavaSeed

:) i hope i didn't offend you lol. i was just really curious haha.. this is my second time around with dreads..these ones are under a week old. and life is jumbly. i just moved in with my dad today. i'm ecstatic. :D

7. RYEAIRBUDDHA

RYEAIRBUDDHA Newbie

naa you did not offend me. I think your really awsome. Where does your dad live? Where did you move from.
    I love your dreadlocks/.
    I have been drawing alot.
    Ps your really preety.

8. MoonjavaSeed

oh my dad lives in brantford ontario, i moved from port dover area... (on lake erie..).. and thanks hehhe. :rolleyes:

9. Electricbuddha

Electricbuddha Member

Letting your hair grow and naturally dread as it grows will combine your dread locks together. sooooo u can separate the ones u would like to keep single....

or u can speed up the attaching process buy using hemp or stings/sewing or even elastics if u don’t mind.. or a bead going over 2 nicely fitting dread roots……. as it grows the roots will be close together creating them to lock up to each other creating one root opposed to 2 roots.. iv done this many times ... i had 69 dreads when i started now i have 49. ill show u some pictures of me doing this

one i put 2 together and another i put 5 diffrent smaller locks together starting with some sewing

10. sm0key42o8

sm0key42o8 Senior Member

OK so if you want your dreads to stay seperate what do you hafta do?

11. Earthy Mama

Earthy Mama Feel my wrath... ;)

just rip 'em apart with your hands at the root. Or, if its too painful pull the hair out of the dread that is causing the problem(so it can be on its merry way and find a new dread).

12. sm0key42o8

sm0key42o8 Senior Member

Ight, sounds easy enough...

13. RYEAIRBUDDHA

RYEAIRBUDDHA Newbie

right on I see xactly what your saying. Thank you for those pictures.
    ROckin loveness

14. MelvnDoo

MelvnDoo Member

my dreads have combined a bunch. mostly on their own, although i have helped a few along. though, that was when i first had them. little did i know how much they were going to combine on their own as they got older.

here´s a picture from when they were about maybe a year and a half old:
    [​IMG]
    see that bigger rubber band on the side of my head? that´s holding three dreads together so they´d combine. which they did, but kept on combining...

and then this one shows how they started to combine in the back:
    [​IMG]

this is a more recent picture. youi can see how those two congos developed as they grew:
    [​IMG]

that big one is made up of about 9 dreads. it has a congo within the congo, too. i didnt really plan on this happening, it just did it all on its own. once you realize that some dreads are combining, it´s almost already too late to un-do them. so, if you dont want them to combine, really stay on top of them and keep them separated.