Colorado Supreme Court Says: Cops Can't Return Pot To Acquitted Folks

Discussion in 'Colorado' started by drumminmama, Jan 24, 2017.

1. storch

storch banned

No, you should have read the opening line in the link that the OP provided. Here, I'll show you . . . again:
    _______________________________________________________________________________________

The Colorado Supreme Court on Monday ruled that law enforcement officers cannot be forced to return marijuana to defendants even after they are acquitted of pot crimes because doing so would force officers to be marijuana “distributors” and violate federal law.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The point is that no crime involving weed had been committed, and yet it was confiscated and not returned because some legal brainiacs thought it would be illegal to allow the cops to "distribute" back to you what was yours in the first place. At the very least, they should put it back where they found it.

In fact, this whole situation is something I would expect to see on a Saturday Night Live skit. A guy is pulled over for whatever reason, and when the officer making the stop asks the person to produce his driver's license, a small bag of weed comes out with the person's wallet. And the officer, who knows full well that weed is legal, confiscates it anyway. Then, when the person is found to not be in violation of any weed laws whatsoever and asks for HIS weed back, the officer says, "Sir, if I were to do that, then I'd be guilty of distributing marijuana, and I'd be sent to jail. So I guess I'll have to keep it."

And the audience would laugh, as well they should.

2. NoxiousGas

NoxiousGas Old Fart

an ounce is an amount for resale.....LOL

can't speak for Co. but in Cali you can legally purchase, posses, transport, trade or give away as a gift up to 8 ounces.
    that is also the max amount you can purchase at one time in a dispensary I believe.

half a pound would be fine for personal, but who the hell can afford it?

3. drumminmama

drumminmama Super Moderator Super Moderator

Eight oz. with 215 card. The new law will lower that for recreational. Which is why I voted against it.

4. unfocusedanakin

unfocusedanakin The Archaic Revival Lifetime Supporter

I've never heard of people having any issues with having an oz for locals on them or 2 oz or more in the case of those with medical cards. Tourists can have 1/4 only but even then no one is going to claim you are a dealer as long as you have no more than your legal limit.

The thing you do want to be careful about is having weed in your car when driving. Cops can claim it's an "open container" like alcohol would be and then it's a DUI. Put it in your trunk. Also the limit for THC in your blood is so low and THC takes so long to go away it's also easy to get a DUI. Basically if you have used weed in the last few days or more if you smoke daily you are unfit to drive and it makes no sense. People know it's not an accurate measure of intoxication but police can not wrap their heads around the concept of smoking and being OK to drive. Every drug MUST affect you the same and cause the same risk and that's just not true. One day the law will change but right now it's a huge risk.

Their is an old joke. The drunk runs a stop sign and the stoner waits for it to turn green. I do think their is a point of being stoned especially with people with low tolerance where one should not drive but the fact is weed is not alcohol and their is just less risk a lot of times. It makes one aware and cautious not over confident like alcohol. You know you are stoned so every move you make is one you think about and that is what a good driver does.

Personally I think they are enjoying the revenue from tickets and the loop hole to still go after weed. A lot of them are not happy that what they were told in the academy about weed being evil no longer seems to apply.