College creds to highschool?

Discussion in 'Higher Ed' started by walker, May 19, 2004.

1. walker

walker Member

If you are still in highschool and attending college classes, can your college credits be transferred over to your highschool credits?

I've been asking this question at other forums and asking teachers, but they don't know if its possible. Does anyone know?

2. ImmortalDissident

ImmortalDissident Senior Member

Yes. The credits apply both to high school and college. That's how it works in Washington at least.

3. fitzy21

fitzy21 Worst RT Mod EVAH!!!!

i don't know about that, your going to have to ask your high school administration for the answer. even if they don't, you still have them for when you start college.

4. Megara

Megara Banned

they did for me in vermont...

JUST BECAREFUL...if you apply to places like law school...ALL college gpa's will be added up...so if you took a college course while in high school and got a C....and then proceeded to get a 4.0 when you finish college..that C will get figured in when you apply to law school(not sure on other ones)

5. walker

walker Member

I'm only taking part-time studies in Classical Animation right now (I live in Ontario, Canada), since I still have to attend highschool on weekdays. The class is every saturday, 10 sessions long, and is worth 2.5 credits.

I want to find out if I could just transfer the credits in that course to highschool, so I can have spares in my Gr.12 year to take other courses and to put together my portfolio. The addmissions people over here are very rude and not very informative :(

6. FreakyJoeMan

FreakyJoeMan 100% Batshit Insane

I've been taking collage classes for the past three years. I was wondering, stupid question, but would two classes about the same subject (such as Biology. 1 and Biology.2) be counted as two different classes? And how can I figure out how many credits I have earned?

7. BraveSirRubin

BraveSirRubin Members

I take APs. THey count for both my college and high school credit.

8. FreakyJoeMan

FreakyJoeMan 100% Batshit Insane

Cool! I hopes that happens for me as well.

9. sugrmag

sugrmag Uber Nerd

Yeah, the AP's count for both. The actual class grade is your high school grade. Then you take the AP test. Score 1-5. Depending on what your school accepts, 3, 4, 5 are passing. I got credit (many yrs ago!) for Calculus, Chemistry, and English. And it still counts! I jsut went back to school a few yrs ago, and I didn't have to take English 101, any math, or a science! It helps alot.

10. ImmortalDissident

ImmortalDissident Senior Member

Joe -

I'm not sure what the requirements are at your school, but if you are required to take a year of biology, my guess is that one biology class at college would be sufficient. For me, I took my senior english class my junior year because instead of doing an entire year at the high school, I did one quarter at college. It's the best thing in the world, if you ask me. This year I've earned 53 credits or something. This is my senior year and all I needed to graduate was one five-credit class, but I decided not to graduate early because they are paying for my college and free money is always good.

About finding out how many credits you have... I'm not sure if you mean from the college or from the high school. From the high school you can just ask counselors, from the college there should be somewhere on the web site where you can order transcripts. Mine has an online "unofficial" transcript page that shows all the classes, your GPA in them and then your cumm. GPA and number of credits.

...that was fucking long to answer a simple question.

11. Ediction421

Ediction421 Member

There are some college level classes that you can take for high school credit, but they cannot count for both, so you (obviuosly) have to pick one.

12. walker

walker Member

Thanks for the info.

Do you know what kind of college classes you can take for a highschool credit?
    Example: taking a business class in college can be transferred as a business credit in highschool, or is it only put into your HS compulsory credits? (or does it even matter if you want to put it towards compulsory or mandatory?)

13. xaosflux

xaosflux Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

Most all 3 credit classes in colelges can be used in US highschools. What the credits are in maters though, e.g you can replace a required english class with a colledge reading class.

For the most part all the college general education requirement classes are transferable no questions asked. You usally have to bring your transcript to your guidance office.