Cold water extraction

Discussion in 'Pharmaceuticals' started by Oldgypsy, May 25, 2004.

1. Oldgypsy

Oldgypsy Member

Would some kindly and knowledgeable person care to post the method for cold water extraction (of codeine from tablets that have 30 mg codeine and paracetamol 500 mg - that is generic tylenol with codeine) - I know it is likely on erowid and other sites I cannot access at work, so could someone post a "recipe" here? PLEASE - recipe for DUMMIES, I am not a chemist, and I am not going to go to a chemistry store and buy stuff I would not normally have around the house, but everybody knows, all that tylenol is bad for your liver------

2. Codone Consumer

Codone Consumer Member

3. Plenco

Plenco Member

Aspirin and Ibuprofen have codeine or oxycodone in it? I never new. Gona try this cold water extraction.

4. gnrm23

gnrm23 Senior Member

~
    if the label says it has codeine in it; but if the ingredients label just says "aspirin" or "acetylsalacilic acid" or "ibuprofin" or "paramacetol" or "acetaminophen" --- then THAT'S what's in it... & that's all that's in it, OK?

& in the USA there are no OTCs ("over the counter" pills) with ANY narcotics in them --- pretty much all narcotics are prescription (well, maybe parecgoric or donnagelPG can be bought w/o a prescription, but you will still hafta sign for them (& show ID); & if you think you're gonna get high on paregoric or donnagelPG you've got another think coming....) (great for stopping diarrhea in kids, tho)
    in canada, there are OTC pills w/ACC (aspirin, caffein, codeine) in 'em, but only 1/8 grain codeine (like 8 milligrams & that ain't much)...

(for comparison, a "tylenol 3" pill has 1/2 grain (~30 mg) of codein in a "base" of acetaminophen (ummm, 350 mg?)

the codeine (& caffeine, if added to the formulation) are water soluble, but the asprin (or acetaminphen, whatever is the base in your pills...) is not & settles out at the bottom of the glass...

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    there, is that as clear as mud yet?

5. Plenco

Plenco Member

Thank you very much for that wonderful explanation.

6. gnrm23

gnrm23 Senior Member

hey, i just don't want folks thinkin' that they can get "high" offa some advils or tylenols, OK?
    ~
    play safe out there, friends - you want this ol' mortal coil to be good for at least 3 score & 10, mmmmkay?