Clothes of a fellow student

Discussion in 'Clothes' started by slartibartfas0815, May 22, 2013.

1. eggsprog

eggsprog anti gang marriage HipForums Supporter

I think a good quarter of my wife's wardrobe is now made up of stuff that her sisters can't fit into after having babies, it's pretty awesome. Second hand clothing is the best.

2. slartibartfas0815

slartibartfas0815 Member

I haven't bought second hand clothes yet, but I see no reason not to do that.

At the date (which was great, btw. :) ) she told me that friends offered her some clothes, too. But for some reason she also didn't accept. She did't explain to me, why she don't want to take some things from her friends, she only said "it's okay" and "I will buy some new stuff when I have money" and so on.

I don't understand that. :confused:

3. Manu1990

Manu1990 Member

is it embarrassing for her to wear that clothes or does she think it looks embarassing to others?

may sound strange but perhaps she do not want new clothes? i live in jogging pants (have 2) a few thin tank tops (5) and 1 sweater. my shoes are falling apart and i glue and sew them so i can walk in them. everything i have is preowned by my sister even underwear and socks. i have too not much money but i could buy some cheap new clothes. but i dont want to do that.

most people may think i am sloppy and perhaps i am. i have to pull up my pants constantly because they are worn out and dropping. and my tops have all holes in them. but i feel comfy in my clothes and want no other.

perhaps it is similar by her? perhaps you can ask.

sorry for my bad english. it is not my native language.

4. slartibartfas0815

slartibartfas0815 Member

I'm not quite sure.
    I can't imagine that this is the reason. She told me, that her clothes were stolen, so I think she would like to have new things. But she can't afford it.
    Well, that sounds really strange. Why don't you buy a few clothes?
    I can't image that dropping pants can be comfortable?!?

5. Manu1990

Manu1990 Member

but she also didnt accept help from you or others, did she? there must be a reason for this.

i like my clothes like they are. :)

you get used to it. i wear these pants for over 2 years now. at the beginning they were not so worn out at the waistband. but now they are loose. but its okay. if i walk for a long time i put my hands in the pockets to keep them up. :)

6. slartibartfas0815

slartibartfas0815 Member

We are together for three weeks now :) but I don't really have a clue.

Everytime I try to argue with her about her clothes, she switches to another topic. Last week we were in a mall and there were nice shorts and skirts on sale. They were really low cost and a good value for the money. But she said that we should spare our money because we planed to go to a concert the next saturday (yesterday).

The concert was great and we had fun but nevertheless I could afford to spend some extra money for a pair of shorts or something like that.

As said, I also don't really care about clothes. As we went to the concert yesterday I was wearing a faded t-shirt, ripped jeans and no shoes. Not so much different from that what she wears everyday, only that her jeans are much more ripped and so on.

So, that you don't get me wrong, I like that kind of "style". I like to go barefeet, I like to wear, let's say, very "casual" clothes. But I have a lot of clothes and can wear proper shoes and pants, a nice polo shirt and a jacket if I want or have to. She has nothing but her old, ragged clothes. So I don't understand why she refuses to just get a few new things.

That she doesn't want to talk to me about that topic makes it not easier for me to understand ...

7. Spectacles

Spectacles My life is a tapestry Lifetime Supporter

If it really does not matter to you don't argue about it. She obviously has her reasons. I am curious who paid for the concert?

8. slartibartfas0815

slartibartfas0815 Member

Well, okay, but I really would like to know her reasons.

I paid for the concert and drinks, of course.

9. drumminmama

drumminmama Super Moderator Super Moderator

Hmm.. Sometimes refusing to wear tidy clothes (different from not having the option) is a reaction to past trauma. Making herself ugly because of unwanted attention.
    Or, very poor self esteem.

Did she grow up with tattered clothing? Or was she forced to wear really nice, almost too formal types of clothes?

10. Spectacles

Spectacles My life is a tapestry Lifetime Supporter

So she lets you spend money on her but just not for clothes. That is interesting.

11. Manu1990

Manu1990 Member

i find that interesting too. could it be that the story she told you (stolen clothes) was only an excuse?

12. CandiiRainbow

CandiiRainbow Member

Maybe these clothes are just that comfortable..
    Id rather have 1-2 sets of that comfy clothes that look good on me and I use every day than a full wardrobe of clothes I barely use.. but I would at least check it out if someone offered their second hand clothes.. second hand clothes are awesome ;)

Or maybe she lost a bet, hehe

But I do find it interesting that she lets you spend money on a concert and drinks and not clothes..

13. bonita95

bonita95 Member

do you have a crush on her? are you and her like a couple or almost?

14. slartibartfas0815

slartibartfas0815 Member

She most certainly has no poor self esteem, I can say that.
    I really don't know. We never spoke about that so far. Do you think I should ask?

15. slartibartfas0815

slartibartfas0815 Member

Yes, and I am confused about that.

16. slartibartfas0815

slartibartfas0815 Member

I can't imagine that. Why should she lie to me about that?

17. slartibartfas0815

slartibartfas0815 Member

Well, the t-shirts and the hoodie are comfortable, of course. But the jeans held together by safety pins (literally) can't be very comfortable. That doesn't mean that she closed a hole at the knee with it or something like that. Without the safety pins, the jeans would fall to pieces. And often one of them comes open and she has to fix it. So I don't think it is just because the jeans are comfortable.
    I don't think so.
    Yes ...

18. slartibartfas0815

slartibartfas0815 Member

We are together for about five weeks now. :)

19. bonita95

bonita95 Member

sounds for real! do you hug? i love to!
    btw i tried to enter the chatroom and it said invalid password. i'm logged in already so how can it be invalid lol.

20. slartibartfas0815

slartibartfas0815 Member

Of course we do. :)