Cloth Menstrual pads

Discussion in 'Women's Forum' started by Kittymoose*, May 3, 2007.

1. Kittymoose*

Kittymoose* Member

I was cruizing craftster and I came upon this handy little device.

http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=34087.0

Its a cloth menstrual pad, easy to wash, quick to dry. I know a lot of people here would prefer a less chemical solution to keeping things tidy, so i thought this might help.

Peace :)

2. Sunburst

Sunburst Fairy

Hey, groovy! I just bought myself a Diva Cup (I really prefer pads to putting things up my vagina, but it was all I could find that was all right for the environment :S), but it leaks a bit and I realize I need at least a small pad with it. I've been wondering about making my own but was too lazy to go out and find a pattern- thanks A LOT for the link! Very cute!

3. moon_flower

moon_flower Banned

I like my tampons and bad-for-the-environment plastic covered pads.

4. wanderin_blues

wanderin_blues Banned

ive been using cloth pads too and love them so much more than pads and tampons. i feel more in touch with myself and my cycle. i just use cotton squares that i fold up and stuff in my undies, it works good for me. i have some special pads that i made but they were harder to wash than my squares.

5. shaina

shaina No War Know Peace

yeah i tried those not really for me cause i never know what to do with them when i'm out and about

6. wanderin_blues

wanderin_blues Banned

i keep a plastic ziploc in my bag/purse to put the used ones in.

7. 3littlebirds

3littlebirds Member

imagine someone stealing your purse...and finding that...
    :) haha

8. drumminmama

drumminmama Super Moderator Super Moderator

fair justice, I'd say...and might end a crime spree!
    guy 1:dog, what is that?
    Guy 2: I dunno, it looks like ketchup or something.
    (opens ziploc-three days old)
    both: ewwwwwwwwwwwwwww

9. moon_flower

moon_flower Banned

That's got to be one of the nastiest things I've read.

10. Lady Neko

Lady Neko Member

i use seventh generation recycled pads. the idea of using cloth ones made me feel sick but i may try it after what you gals have said. and...lol! lol! my dad and husband are looking at me funny!

11. wanderin_blues

wanderin_blues Banned

well, it would certainly serve them right for stealing my purse! lol

12. Kittymoose*

Kittymoose* Member

Well, cloth pads really aren't "icky". Its just cloth after all. What do you think women in the 1800's used? And these are not only better for the environment, but better for you, because you aren't sitting in chemicals all day. That, and some people are allergic to the adhesives.

13. veroness

veroness There's only one :)

i was thinking about getting cloth ones but like what shaina said, if im out and about i wouldn't want to deal with all that. and wouldnt the cloth leak through your underware?

14. Kittymoose*

Kittymoose* Member

Well, the thing is, according to the maker of the pattern, there's like 3 layers of cloth. And one user on craftster used a windbreaker like material on the side that goes against the panties to prevent leaks. I would suggest you make them a little thicker/use heavier material like terrycloth to absorb a heavier flow. Or just keep a spare. Usually my flow isn't too bad after the first day, one of those would last me the day. It all depends on the woman I guess. Tweak it to fit your needs.

15. veroness

it would be uncomfprtable to wear a thick cloth pad. wouldnt it be like a diaper? if i stay on birth control i wouldnt have to worry about the thickness because i wouldnt need it. but if i decide to go off it, my flow would be a lot heavier

16. shaina

shaina No War Know Peace

if you change them often they don't leak. you just need to change them a little oftener than non cloth ones. also they're pretty thin not like a diaper. i'm just not a pad girl i like tampons

17. drumminmama

drumminmama Super Moderator Super Moderator

that is the nastiest thing I have read.

18. veroness

are there natural tampons instead of the chemical ones? tampons always seem to be the best option because they are less messier and easier to change IMO

19. Aristartle

Aristartle Snow Falling on Cedars Lifetime Supporter

From switching over to cloth pads, I have noticed that my periods went from 7 days down to 3 days, and I was a tampons woman. But don't believe me. I did not believe anyone that told me their periods were shorter from using cloth pads, just try it yourself.

20. ItsALoveThing

ItsALoveThing Member

For the tampon users.... try The Keeper. I never used it because I have a slight reaction to latex, but they've come out with a silicone cup. It is soooo much more sanitary and so much better for the environment. Check out the site and see if it's for you :)