Closing of U.S. embassies

Discussion in 'Politics' started by rjhangover, Aug 5, 2013.

1. rjhangover

rjhangover Senior Member

I tried to put this on the latest news but I'm not allowed. That section must be for the privileged folk.
    But concerning the closers of the embassies, wasn't Al Qaeda supposed to be wiped out in the Iraq/Afghan wars? Looks to me like they've got the U.S. shaking in their boots. Al Qaeda is supposed to be planning some big attack on "important U.S. interests". Lots of fingers in everybodies pies in too many other countries.
    The U.S. government has been telling so many lies, they can't keep up with them any more. Karma is funny that way.
    I'm reading a book by John Varley called SLOW APOCALYPSE. Varley has always been a Sci-fi writer since the 50's. But this book is too possible. It's about some one that puts a virus in crude oil that spreads world wide. It renders oil useless, and blows up all the oil wells. It causes world wide anarchy. So many times like imitates art. I think if Al Qaeda could whey would. I hope Varley hasn't given them an idea.

2. Sig

Sig Senior Member

Hey, a thread where you didn't blame the "right-wing", "republicans" or "conservatives". Progress!

3. rjhangover

rjhangover Senior Member

Yet another thread that you're totally off topic. [ section deleted by balbus name calling].

4. TAZER-69

TAZER-69 Listen To Your Heart! Lifetime Supporter

Why all the name calling? Can you not respond without it?

5. Summerhill

Summerhill Member

Typically the UK & other imperialistic have-been states are following Americas lead. Poor economic times always take the umph out of war & especially one we and they are coming to realise can't be won. The threat is said ,in some reports, to be of the magnitude of 9/11.

I could'nt have imagined the closure of Embassies,the urging of westeners to leave areas of the middle east,indefinately. occuring under the Bush administration. Times have changed & so is the attitude to terrorism in the west. Theres a sense of weariness among us all-& polititians!

I hope that this is a sign of a change for the better,though it may take a long time rolling out.

6. AmericanTerrorist

AmericanTerrorist Bliss

It's Al Qaeda in the Arabian Peninsula and you can blame DRONES in Yemen for this threat. (of course the people... the regular folks are going to welcome extremists in those areas when they are dealing with innocents being killed all the time by drones)... AQAP is the biggest terrorist threat right now and will get larger directly because of drones.

7. RIPTIDE59

RIPTIDE59 Banned

This is funny ; we're getting ready for the annual ramadon bomb-a-thon and some postees are already apologizing for them.

8. AmericanTerrorist

AmericanTerrorist Bliss

who's apologizing?

if you mean me i'm just saying AQAP is stemming mostly from Yemen-which is becoming more radicalized and supported locally because of drones.
    Fact.

9. Sig

Sig Senior Member

Yeah, you need to do your homework more. AQAP was active and attacking US interests/assets long before the first drone flew over Yemen.

10. odonII

odonII O

I don't think it was just about the U.S - but I can see why you may think that if you watch/read Americentric news or are only thinking about the U.S...

Yemeni government spokesman Rajeh Badi said the plot involved blowing up oil pipelines and taking control of certain cities - including two ports in the south, one of which accounts for the bulk of Yemen's oil exports and is where a number of foreign workers are employed.

"There were attempts to control key cities in Yemen like Mukala and Bawzeer," said Mr Badi.

"This would be co-ordinated with attacks by al-Qaeda members on the gas facilities in Shebwa city and the blowing up of the gas pipe in Belhaf city."

Al-Qaeda members dressed as soldiers were to be outside the ports, he said. On a given signal they were to invade the facility and take it over.

Yemeni officials quoted by AP news agency said they believed the motive for the planned attacks was retaliation for the killing of senior al-Qaeda figure Said al-Shihri, who was critically wounded in a November drone strike and later died of his injuries....

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-middle-east-23598516

11. AmericanTerrorist

AmericanTerrorist Bliss

Didn't mean to make it seem like they just started up/became active because of drone strikes.... but what I am saying is that is the main reason they are gaining more strength and local support.

12. Sig

Sig Senior Member

That isn't what you said though. Either way, AQAP is a shadow of what it was before the drone strikes started. They aren't gaining strength at all.