Clear cutting

Discussion in 'The Environment' started by NatureFreak412, May 16, 2004.

1. NatureFreak412

NatureFreak412 Art of Balance

Have you ever been walking or riding somewhere and see where people have clear cut a forest, but leave all the wood there. I mean clear cutting is just stupid anywayz, but leaving the wood their to rot is crazy, that happens alot around here and I dont know why. And another thing that pisses me off is when the county comes( i live in the boonies) and cuts down trees on the side of the road, even if they arent bothering anything. That pisses me off more than anything. What do u all think about this or anything related to it?

2. jiimaan

jiimaan Banned

I think clear cutting is insideous.

3. MaxPower

MaxPower Kicker Of Asses

There isn't a lot of woods where I'm from, so I can't really relate. I have seen what you're talking about on the golf courses though, and it kicks ass for the golfers when they thin out a forest. No more 2 stroke penalty for losing a ball.

4. backtothelab

backtothelab Senior Member

yeah, i know what you mean. My neiborhood used to be all woods and stuff, its pathetic now. Everyone who moves in clears everything, then re-plants like 5 palm trees, like we live in hawaii or something. Jesus, an acre and a half lot, with a handful of trees, so sad.Then they all fuck up the air and my lungs, kicking up dust and spitting their anti-enviroment sludge everywhere with all their dirt bikes and fourwheelers. They're like 4 times worse than cars too! what a waste

5. MexicanFlowerChild

MexicanFlowerChild Member

Yea i know what you mean...here in houston more people are buying houses and they have cut lots of the trees that we barely had just to make new houses for people to buy them...It really sucks because i have to drive like 30 minutes from where i live to see big green trees...

6. eccofarmer

eccofarmer Member

NAMASTE

In Oregon all you see is clear cuts and log trucks.Tears me up inside seeing all that death.

7. CyberFly

CyberFly Banned

Clear cutting sucks and so does Bush!

[​IMG]

8. ImmortalDissident

ImmortalDissident Senior Member

Well that is the tragedy of it all. They clearcut, and then take 15% of what they cut down because everything else is too small. I live in the foothills and We have hills that hide everything, but if you drive up the road about 20 minutes, logging is the main industry. Its terribly unfortunate.

9. SoundStepper

SoundStepper Member

my nightmare, is the day when the entire country is paved over in cement, and street lights all around, and we become so detacted from the environment that we don't have anything to go back to. But in the end environment will win, its even in the bible.

10. Fractual_

Fractual_ cosmos factory

it shocks me, to see such a lack of respect for living creature, their own family, here on this earth.

people think nature is just here for us to use and stomp around on... for some reason we are better? i think not.

11. peaceband_chick

peaceband_chick Member

Last summer my family and I went to Oregon. I was so happy to be going to the beautiful Oregon with the redwoods and all that. When we got there, you would see a beautiful mountain with huge patches cut out of it. It is horrendous.

12. NatureFreak412

Yeah it sucks, I think we need a revolution.

13. themnax

themnax Senior Member

if you build a wood fraimed house, somebody is going to cut down a tree. if you bring a large family into this world, many will likely grow up wanting to live in one.

-

if you want anything to stop, stop creating a market for it. whether you are a protester carrying sighns, a government throwing poeple in jail, or even a rioter tearing up crap, as long as there's a market for something, someone's going to do it, no matter how severe you make the repercussions to themselves for doing so. the current climate of kissing bussinessess ass certainly doesn't help. the circular logic of little green pieces of paper chaising their own tails, far from encouraging anyone to use good sense, simply makes it that much easier for everyone to lie to themsleves about refusing to do so.
    -
    comfortable and gratifying houses can be built in a lot of ways that minimize the consumption of forrest products, and the use of lumber fraiming in nondomestic construction (such as so called strip malls, which often are wood fraimed hidden behind immitation masonry surfaces) is inexcusable.

14. NatureFreak412

so true themnax, im listening to 18 by alice cooper, gotta love it. LoL.

Why dont we all build houses under the ground, that would work. NO need for air conditioning or heating as long as u have ventilation and under so deep...

15. Tamee

Tamee naked

:( that pretty much sums up how I feel

16. MountainMan

MountainMan Member

i feel pain whenever i see a tree hurt in anyway, but a clear cut field with the bodies strewn where they fell, thats just genocide. maybe im a little over dramatic, but even when i see stumps i flinch, my next door neighboor has a beautiful beech (beach?) tree in her front yard which she recently trimmed a few branches off to i guess, i dunno, make her house more visible. even this makes my hair stand straight, trees are the veins of the earth and are so damn majestic, spiritual just to look at, to stand next to, i just dont understand how some feel they have the right to remove or damage these entities for their own slight personal gain

17. tom

tom Member

Ok folks. First off there's a big difference between development and clear cutting. Development usually takes places in towns and spreads outwards. Makes me sick to see it because that is what truely destroys the woods.

Clear cutting is not pretty. Doesn't look good in the least bit and I agree with that. However, I've spent a lot of time living in very very rural Oregon (no, I'm not a logger), where the town was 75% employed by the logging industry. Believe it or not, most loggers have a great appreciation for the woods. That's one of the reasons a lot go into the industry. You'll notice that clear cutting is done is patches, and there are size restrictions and barrier minimums set up between clear cuts. Wild life thrives in the clear cuts, every thing from the black bears to black tails, coyotes and squirrels, etc. Once the area is cut, it becomes prime area for grazing for wild life. There are laws REQUIRING that the area be replanted in a certain amount of time. Therefore the trees are replaced. I see no reason for logging in areas where it has been done to be discontinued. I do however think that our remaining old growth rain forest need to be protected at all cost. Tree's are a crop. You can not get by without using some sort of product that was harvested from the woods. It doesn't look good, but it's really not as bad as it looks..... signed "a semi-logging apologist and yes, a conservationist"

18. jiimaan

jiimaan Banned

That's the least of the problem, though.

No I don't think that most loggers "have a great appreciation for the woods". I think most of them view it as a place of employment, somewhere where they can hunt and fish, but I doubt that they have a real appreciation for for the forests, or Nature in general. If they did, they wouldn't be logging but rather fighting to save the forests.

So what if clear cutting is done in patches? Wildlife does does not "thrive" in clear cuts--far from it. Clear cuts alter the forest ecosystem, throws the long established balance out of whack; as a result you may see more deer in a clear cut, think that things are going okay, when in fact this is an indication that things are very wrong.

Yeah, there may be laws requiring tree planting, but there are a number of problems with this. The species may be non-native. The regeneration time takes centuries. The regeneration is inferior to the forest that existed there previously--something that is well founded on science.

How is it that you can defend clear cutting but at the same time condemn the cutting of old growth forests? Most clear cutting is of forest that is technically old growth.

19. MountainMan

MountainMan Member

i completely agree. well, first of all, cut him some slack, he lives in a town of loggers and if the guy says he knows loggers that care about the environment then he knows loggers who care about the environment.
    however, clearcutting is incredibly destructive to ecosystems, and although some wildlife may make the best of a clear cut area, seeing as though thats nature's job, that area will never be the same. these areas remove habitat from sometimes critical land, and not just from the area itself, you have to consider the roads that were built to get there as well. also, erosion is a major problem with clear cutting. with no vegetation to secure the land in place, the land will often all but die away. also, a lot of the time logging companies are required to replant areas, they do a shitty job, and i also believe they are only responsible for planting, not maintaining, which means if something goes wrong after the trees were planted, then its not their problem anymore
    i will check up on it some more, but in the Adirondak State Park in New York, they just signed a logging deal, but its supposed to be revolutionary in its stringent environmental standards and really works with the land and the industry together, which is how it should be done

20. tom

tom Member

My first question to you would be to ask how much time you've speant around these type of people? I have life time friends that are loggers. Trust me, I know these people and their feelings on the subject. They are the first ones to defend the woods. Why do you think most people that work in the industry choose to live in rural, mostly wooded environments. The majority of these people do want to protect old growth. You wouldn't believe the amount of loggers who get absolutely irate when they here about logging in places like Tillamook forest.Until you have there, it is impossible for you to know their way of looking at things. They both fight to save the forest, but are able to harvest what is necessary. And no, I'm not your typical backwoods bumpkin.

As for non-native species, are you referring to flora or fauna? The douglas fir is the official Oregon state tree, which make of the majority of replanted trees. As for the animals, they are all native. ODFW does annual census of wildlife. You're right when you say you see them more in clear cuts because they're obviously going to be more visible. However when it comes to black tails, they prefer to live in thick timber and only spend short periods of time around the edges of clear cuts when feeding. The cleared trees allow new ground cover to grow more abundantley than under the forest canopy therefore providing more food for omnivores making healthier animals.

I'm sure you'd be just as lost and ignorant as to the way of life in extremely rural areas as I'd be ignorant and lost about life in urban areas.
    It's one of those things where you have to live in the area to know what it's really like.