Circumcision

Discussion in 'Men's Issues' started by Coachdb18, May 7, 2023.

1. Coachdb18

Coachdb18 Members

Thought I'd open a discussion on this topic, since it's very common is some cultures (US), and very uncommon in others (Europe). Just wondering what experience others have had, and see what comes of it.

My own experience is i'm autocircumcised (permanently skinned back), have been for over 35 years, so I feel I have some experiences with both sides of this issue. For me, it was because I was so overly sensitive it hurt whenever my foreskin was pulled back and I had sex or especially when a girlfriend gave me oral or masturbated me. Over the years, I've had an ex wife that didn't even know I was never surgically circumcised during our entire sexually active marriage, nor my doctors at my annual physicals that always list me as circumcised. So for me, it solved a problem.

Curious about other people's experiences

6Sailor9 likes this.
  2. Lookin41

Lookin41 Members

Circumcision -- in which the foreskin on a penis is cut off -- was uncommon in the United States until the late 1800s, when doctors started recommending it as a way to curtail masturbation in young boys.
    "After doing research, I learned that circumcision isn't any cleaner or healthier. And as a nurse, I knew there were risks."
    From <New Studies Sharpen Circumcision Debate>

See Also: The Circumcision Debate: Circumcision information and alternatives

Newborns:

Care of the Uncircumcised Penis

Guidelines for Parents

American Academy of Pediatrics

At birth, the penis consists of a cylindrical shaft with a rounded end called the glans. The shaft and glans are separated by a groove called the sulcus. The entire penis - shaft and glans - is covered by a continuous layer of skin. The section of the penile skin that covers the glans is called the foreskin or prepuce. The foreskin consists of two layers, the outer foreskin and an inner lining similar to a mucous membrane.

Before birth, the foreskin and glans develop as one tissue. The foreskin is firmly attached - really fused - to the glans. Over time, this fusion of the inner surface of the prepuce with the glans skin begins to separate by shedding the cells from the surface of each layer. Epithelial layers of the glans and the inner foreskin lining are regularly replaced, not only in infancy but throughout life. The discarded cells accumulate as whitish, cheesy ``pearls'' which gradually work their way out via the tip of the foreskin.

Eventually, sometimes as long as 5, 10, or more years after birth, full separation occurs and the foreskin may then be pushed back away from the glans toward the abdomen. This is called foreskin retraction. The foreskin may retract spontaneously with erections which occur normally from birth on and even occur in fetal life. Also, all children ``discover'' their genitals as they become more aware of their bodies and may retract the foreskin themselves. If the foreskin does not seem to retract easily early in life, it is important to realize that this is not abnormal and that it should eventually do so.

Drawing reprinted with permission of Edward Wallerstein, author of Circumcision: An American Health Fallacy. [CIRP note: The drawing is presented only in the older (1984) edition of the pamphlet.]

[The Function of the Foreskin: The glans at birth is delicate and easily irritated by urine and feces. The foreskin shields the glans; with circumcision this protection is lost. In such cases, the glans and especially the urinary opening (meatus) may become irritated or infected, causing ulcers, meatitis (inflammation of the meatus), and meatal stenosis (a narrowing of the urinary opening). Such problems virtually never occur in uncircumcised penises. The foreskin protects the glans throughout life.] [CIRP Note: This important paragraph, and the drawing, were printed in the 1984 edition of this pamphlet; but were removed in the 1990 version!]

Infant Smegma: Skin cells from the glans of the penis and the inner foreskin are shed throughout life. This is especially true in childhood; natural skin shedding serves to separate the foreskin from the glans. Since this shedding takes place in a relatively closed space - with the foreskin covering the glans - the shed skin cells cannot escape in the usual manner. They escape by working their way to the tip of the foreskin. These escaping discarded skin cells constitute infant smegma, which may appear as white ``pearls'' under the skin.

Adult Smegma: Specialized sebaceous glands - Tyson's Glands - which are located on the glans under the foreskin, are largely inactive in childhood. At puberty, Tyson's Glands produce an oily substance, which, when mixed with shed skin cells, constitute adult smegma. Adult smegma serves a protective, lubricating function for the glans.

Foreskin Hygiene: The foreskin is easy to care for. The infant should be bathed or sponged frequently, and all parts should be washed including the genitals. The uncircumcised penis is easy to keep clean. No special care is required! No attempt should be made to forcibly retract the foreskin. No manipulation is necessary. There is no need for special cleansing with Q-tips, irrigation, or antiseptics; soap and water externally will suffice.

Foreskin Retraction: As noted, the foreskin and glans develop as one tissue. Separation will evolve over time. It should not be forced. When will separation occur? Each child is different. Separation may occur before birth; this is rare. It may take a few days, weeks, months, or even years. This is normal. Although many foreskins will retract by age 5, there is no need for concern even after a longer period. [1984 version only:No harm will come in leaving the foreskin alone.] Some boys do not attain full retractability of the foreskin until adolescence.

Hygiene of the Fully Retracted Foreskin: For the first few years, an occasional retraction with cleansing beneath is sufficient.

Penile hygiene will later become a part of a child's total body hygiene, including hair shampooing, cleansing the folds of the ear, and brushing teeth. At puberty, the male should be taught the importance of retracting the foreskin and cleaning beneath during his daily bath.

Summary: Care of the uncircumcised boy is quite easy. ``Leave it alone'' is good advice. External washing and rinsing on a daily basis is all that is required. Do not retract the foreskin in an infant, as it is almost always attached to the glans. Forcing the foreskin back may harm the penis, causing pain, bleeding, and possibly adhesions. The natural separation of the foreskin from the glans may take many years. After puberty, the adult male learns to retract the foreskin and cleanse under it on a daily basis.

Copyright © 1984, 1990. American Academy of Pediatrics

Citation:

• Care of the Uncircumcised Penis: Guidelines for Parents (pamphlet). Elk Grove Village, IL: American Academy of Pediatrics, 1984.

From <Newborns: Care of the Uncircumcised Penis>

Peter C., a Filipino man residing in New Zealand after being raised in the Philippines, was circumcised in adolescence. “Getting cut,” he maintains, “didn’t really stop me from [masturbating.] It only made it less enjoyable.”

From <Circumcision Debate | Advantages and Disadvantages - Intaction>

Si69 likes this.
  3. Josephinelcajon

Josephinelcajon Joseph

I was cut as an infant. And yes, I believe the reason was religious (Catholic) and I fully believe the only reasons they started it was to lessen men's pleasure. I do not believe in any medical or cleanness excuses. in my youth at a medical appointment a mother brought her infant son in to be cut. I remember clearly er baby taken away and then the blood curling screams and that mother unconsolably crying her eyes out screaming "what have I done" over and over! I then saw a video in my 20s of a circumcision and being strapped to a board. I will leave the rest for you to search and watch for yourself. It's absolutely barbaric child abuse in my opinion.

Stuart Little likes this.
  4. Bean Gardening

Bean Gardening Members

I was circumcised for medical, not sure what they were as I was only young. Never had any complaints and women seem to like a circumcised penis :)

5. Si69

Si69 Senior Member Lifetime Supporter

Barbaric practice.... mutilation!

Of course some are mutilated in the name of culture or religion....but in both cases this is probably due to ignorance, superstition and priests control over the ages.

I was cut as a baby, and yes have had a pretty active sex life with no complaints really, nor did it bother me so much until more recently, but it's a natural and protective part of a guy's body. All my life my glans head has been rubbing on underwear, jeans (commando) etc etc and so obviously becomes less sensitive

This is so clearly mentioned in the third very informative post above here.

And then of course attempting to have societal control of masturbation.....a human right.

In the UK in the 1950s it was a habit, part for theoretical cleanliness and part 'healthy-boy pure-body.

But I resent that my foreskin was cut away without having the choice.

And oh isn't a nice uncut cock so gorgeous

Simon :)

Stuart Little and Jobob like this.
  6. PhilW0404

PhilW0404 Members

I was circumcised about 20 years ago in my early thirties due to medical reasons (tightness of foreskin leading to pain)....
    Think I have recovered less sensitive down there as a result, but only notice a minimal difference

7. soulcompromise

soulcompromise Member HipForums Supporter

We as humans are capable of transcending these boundaries, but that it isn't always convenient. We get to endeavor to make it more convenient for our friends and romantic partners.

I feel a little sad that for example my wife (though I am not married) might be ashamed, or unable to share my naughty picture for such a reason (I don't have naughty pictures, not at 198 lbs). She may love me more than anything else, but that she isn't excused from the bad feelings when a friend asks to see my picture and she can't.

I got circumcised, but I wasn't always, not until my twenties. I am a proponent of mental health simply by the numbers, and so therefore a proponent of providing your newborn son with the tools necessary to navigate modern mental health.

It shouldn't be that way, but it is. If I have a son, I want to provide for him on that level and as a result to be responsible for his understanding that these sorts of things are not the measure of a man and that I wasn't circumcised when I was a boy or when I was a teenager.

8. straightma1e

straightma1e Members

I've had three mods done to my genitals. The first was the removal of the foreskin, circumcision. This was done as an infant and regardless of opinion I thank my parents for having this done. My cock is a very nice looking cock as told by many of the women I have had sex with. With the foreskin gone at such a young age I know no difference. What I do know is that my cock provides plenty of sexual pleasure as it is right now. I'm looking forward to more too.

9. Toker

Toker Lifetime Supporter

Yet another thread on this subject...

10. tucsonalan

tucsonalan Members

That is mutilation and should be stopped! Would you have surgery without anesthesia? That's what happens to babies! Almost 40% of the skin is removed on a baby's penis.

11. Bazz888

Bazz888 Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

Probably useful to say that there are several types of 'circumcision'. (no pun intended).

At birth for so-called religious reasons
    In childhood or adolescence for medical reason (with anaesthetic)
    In adulthood for a range of reasons.

There's two types as well (at least)
    1. where the end of the sheath, the foreskin, is cut short.
    2. where the end of the sheath, the foreskin, is cut short and the end is stitched to the penis shaft just under the glans.

I think followers of the Jewish faith still have their newborns circumcised.
    However, I wonder, if it were the fault of the Catholic church, why is it apparently more prevalent in the USA than in Europe?

IMHO, it's not necessary for the individual unless for medical reasons whilst, I also believe, religious reasons held by the parents is not enough to justify doing it to a child.
    Sorry; but that's my opinion.

I was done at 10 yrs.
    Nearly when I was 5 because my penis went like a balloon and was painful when I peed.
    When I couldn't pee, I was taken to hospital and as the team were in theatre, preparing to circumcise me, the nurse helped me and finally I was able to pee.
    She then ran to the theatre to notify the surgeon that it wasn't necessary.
    Then at 10 and, strangely, I don't recall any real issue, I was put into hospital to have it done, like it was a 'thing'.
    I genuinely think my Mum had some stupid issues and that was the underlying reason though I am not angry with her.

Yes; I am curious about what it would be like to have a foreskin.
    I am pleased that my cock is easier to keep clean compared to needing to clean between the sheath and the shaft.
    My girlfriends have felt happier and more confident in the knowledge they have cleaned it, compared to cleaning a natural one, with foreskin.
    I take longer than most guys to cum, apparently, which my GFs and FBs have enjoyed and commented on. (Seldom less than 10 minutes [unless I really try] and as much as 45 mins constantly working).
    Oddly enough that enjoyment doesn't apply to the now ex-wife or the current long-term (female) partner who both became sexually agnostic pretty early on.

I've no judgement on the rights or wrongs of it being done but the decision should be made only by the individual (over 18) or the medical team if its a medical reason.
    No parent should be able to ask for it to be done or allow a church environment to do it to a junior whether theirs or anyone else's child.

my 2c

12. tucsonalan

tucsonalan Members

When I shower, all I do is pull the following back and rinse. Soap should never be used under the foreskin. My penis is clean, never an odor. My wife sucks my penis and never says anything about my hygiene.
    We've only had sex with each other. She and I were virgins till our senior year in high school.

6Sailor9 and casper72 like this.
  13. Bazz888

Bazz888 Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

Maybe the description I was given was more complicated than actually doing it but, no matter, with it being stitched back circumcision, I can clean and polish at the same time ;):D

6Sailor9 likes this.
  14. tucsonalan

tucsonalan Members

It's kinda funny with us because when my wife wants to see the head of my penis, she just rolls the foreskin back and smiles, or gives it a kiss. No, I don't always get hard from that. It depends upon how long the "kiss" is. Lol

6Sailor9 likes this.
  15. Stuart Little

Stuart Little Supporters HipForums Supporter

I am cut, happened in my twenties. I'm now 60 so it's been 40 years. I can still remember how intense sex was when I was uncut. The sensations and orgasms were awesome. Over the years of rubbing against clothing and sexual use, the sensitivity is virtually zero. To reach orgasm it takes so long I mostly give up. If I'm honest it gets me frustrated and at times a bit depressed. The deed is done, there's nothing I can do to get it back.
    If someone was to ask if I would recommend it, I would definitely say that, in my opinion, no.

16. tucsonalan

tucsonalan Members

Why were you circ'd? My wife loves my foreskin. When I was little a Dr told my mom I should be circ'd. She took me to a different pediatrician. I was 5 or so

Stuart Little likes this.
  17. Stuart Little

Stuart Little Supporters HipForums Supporter

I was circumcised when I was about 19/20. During sex I kept tearing, which eventually caused an infection.
    I guess the problem is that I had it long enough to remember what it felt like before, so I can make a rational comparison.

NudistTed likes this.