Circumcision?

Discussion in 'Parenting' started by MissBHave, Jul 4, 2009.

1. CandiiRainbow

CandiiRainbow Member

haha love this comment :)

2. shoeless joe

shoeless joe Member

I know a girl who is studying nursing and I once asked her what they teach her about circumcision and she said that it's mostly a cosmetic procedure and there's no real medical reason for it.

I myself am intact and so is my brother and neither of us have had any problems because of it. If I someday have a son he will not be circumcised either.

3. FlowerMama

FlowerMama Member

Circumcision is unnecessary.
    It was touted as being more sanitary, because bacteria couldn't be trapped under the foreskin.

None of the men in my family are circ'd, and neither is my husband.
    I would never do that to my son - they just need to learn how to properly clean down there. :)

Peace,
    - FM

shoeless joe likes this.
  4. insertrandomnamehere

insertrandomnamehere Member

I'm gonna play devils advocate for a second (knowing I'll probably get slammed for this), so bear in mind when I say this I am trying to look at the opposite side as most people here. That being said I think this does contradict some of the things said before.

From the research I did after reading this thread, here is what I found out:

1) most medical doctors and journals see no PRESSING medical reason for circumcision, but many are reevaluating this opinion.

2) There are several medical complications that can happen in boys without circumcisions that are very common, and can be very painful, and the best and easiest way to treat them is circumcision. The ones I found are:

a)phimosis: where the foreskin is not retractable at an age where is should be (between 3-5)

b) paraphimosis: where the foreskin retracts but does not go back because it curls or gets caught. This from what I read can be very painful it not caught early.

These can both be treated by circumcision, but the procedure is much more complicated when not done on newborns.

3) UTI are far less common in babies that have been circumcised. Also there are several studies from the last ten years that show a 60% reduction in the transmission of HIV in men that are circumcized: in other words, circumcized men are less likely to get HIV.

4) Here's a big one in my opinion: cancer of the penis occurs almost exclusively in uncircumsized men, and the cases that are in circumcized men are all in men who have been circumcized later (not a newborn)... that's are hard medical fact to argue against although I'm sure some will...

So in my opinon after doing my own research, I think it is wrong to say there is no medical reason for it. And comparing it to cutting off toes and fingers is just inaccurate. The statement I found in places where medical professionals were interviewed or writing articles, they say this:

There is no ABSOLUTE medical reason why circumcisions should be performed. But this just means there is no way to know for sure whether the child is at risk for any of the problems mentioned above. So there are medical reasons, just not ABSOLUTE one's.

As far as circumcision being painful for a child? Lot's of things are painful for a child. Parents make medical decisions for their children every day, and as a parents you are responsible for the health and medical needs of your child.

And as far as tradition goes, why does every knock tradition only when it has a religious base? In my opinion in may not always be necessary (although I think it's a good idea), but I could argue that before the last 60 - 100 years it was critically necessary! We did not have the medical knowledge to treat the conditions that could be caused by not having it done. We also did not have the ways of cleaning and showering that we have today. Many cultures did have rituals of cleanliness, but clean water, and soaps, and etc were not wide spread.

Many people say their research tells them differently. If this is so, I'd love to know where you found your information so I can compare it to my own.

5. RooRshack

RooRshack On Sabbatical

Yes, we do have the medical knowledge to treat conditions arising from not circumcising-after all, the people in favor of it think it's no big deal, so it follows that it's no big deal later on, if needed. The procedure is only less complicated on newborns because they're treated worse than puppies getting fixed at the pound. A perfect circumcision can be executed at any point in life, with proper anasthesia and such, which is NOT what newborns have. It's VERY unhealthy to be subjecting newborns to that sort of sensation when they're just getting acquainted with life.

the STD thing is bullshit, it's another excuse for bad parenting-why not just cut off the whole dick, I bet that would decrease likelyhood of contracting HIV by like 99%.

The idea that the foreskin should retract from 3-5 is worded pretty poorly, to try to make people think that there's some sort of problem if id doesn't, requiring circumcision. It should BEGIN at that age, and fully retract around the start of puberty.

Cancer, I have no comment, other than to say that I've never even heard of it, and a majority of men in the world are uncircumcised. I guess it would be like cutting of breasts at the onset of puberty to prevent breast cancer.

shoeless joe likes this.
  6. insertrandomnamehere

insertrandomnamehere Member

you make statements but don't back it up. how can you call something bullshit if you have nothing to back up your claim. I'll trust what I found in the medical research I did which contradicts almost everything you said

7. Lightining

Lightining Member

8. got-it-good

got-it-good Member

Funny this topic popped up. It has been a much spoke about issue between my wife, friend of twins, family members, friends in general. I am circum'ed an was done in 1980, my mothers an fathers choice to have done. I personally, am so thankful it was done. My wife is Cuban, an her only child(boy) wasnt cutt at birth. Most of the Spanish comunnity's do not do this for one reason or another, also found most black males havent had it done either. So I asked my wife, an she didnt have a answer other then she saw no point, and most of the Spanish men in Miami werent either, if not all. Now, I dick isnt the most good looking thing, but a shriveled piece of skin hanging on a limp dick looks so ugly to me, and I would have issues with it being there. I have found in my later yrs it is less important for a woman. Either way they dont care, but if you had to choose by some chance, they all choose circum'ed. Now my step son for yrs was always scratching his little head, pulling on it, having little isses like that cause he wouldnt fully wash himself. You can make kids wash correct, just look at your sons poor ability to wash his ass. You wash his underwear right parents? We told him over an over, but hey he will learn the hard way. That skin catches the drips, and drops of pee, and then fuzz from underwear, sweat from playing, etc. Its just fucking gross what develops there. Then you have Jewish people, they find it just fine to circum at age 13. Then you had Catholics who many, many yrs ago would castrate young boys so they wouldnt hit puberty an sing higher in the choir. But yet, many of you down right loath parents who have it done? My penis is beautiful, clean, circum'ed an wouldnt have it any other way. I understand it looks, and maybe in-human but I find it in this day in age to be a good, solid option strickly for cleaniness purposes, plus its a whole lot better looking in every direction. I asked a female nurse once what was the most common infant issues she sees come in, regardless of race, wealth, upbringing, etc. She said 6 out of 10 it is little boys who have a diaper type infection from non-circum'ed penis's sitting in pee, and poop. So if you dont think it isnt cleaner, you are full of shit! Its your choice in the end though!

9. Lightining

Lightining Member

Perhaps if you would have been given a choice and experienced being intact you might feel a little different about it, but in the end its the childs decision its his body and should be up to him

shoeless joe likes this.
  10. shoeless joe

shoeless joe Member

As someone who is not circumcised I can tell you that cleanliness is not an issue at all. Maybe if you are a complete slob who does not have a shower on a regular basis I'm sure it can be an issue. If you don't brush your teeth you can get cavities, but that doesn't mean you should pull your teeth out so that you don't have to worry about brushing your teeth right? In fact, it takes much less effort to rinse off your penis in the shower than it takes to brush your teeth. "Cleanliness" is not a reason to cut of 50% of the penile skin which includes thousands of nerve endings that contribute to sexual pleasure.

11. GoofyGooberz

GoofyGooberz Just Bitchy!!!!!!!!

And I think you are full of shit

It's lazy parenting letting them sit in a nappy/diaper full of crap that is what causes the rash......

shoeless joe likes this.
  12. RooRshack

RooRshack On Sabbatical

That's because my statements are common sense that cuts any need of medical literature out of the picture.

It's clear that infants should not have their opioid receptors fucked up, or any other kind of anasthesia, and it's clear that subjecting someone who's just learning about the world to genital pain is not healthy in a long-term psychological sense.

I don't care if circumcision reduces the chance of getting HIV, if someone wants it because they're going to do stupid risky shit, that's their choice later in life. Circumsizing your kid because you don't want to talk with them about how to behave properly and where to stick their dick. The same goes for the clenliness argument: sure, it's less healthy to not wash your dick, but if the kid doesn't, it's the parents fault. It's the parent deciding that they don't want to parent, so they're going to cut part of their infants dick off.

The same goes for that lame-ass diaper infection argument: You're saying that you'd rather cut part of your kids dick off than change diapers....

shoeless joe likes this.
  13. Sassygurl

Sassygurl Member

This always ends up being a hotly debated topic. My oldest son is circ'd but my younger son is not. My oldest was born in 91 when it was still "the thing to do". I was also just a teen and didn't understand there was another option...I assumed I had to agree. When we were expecting my second son it was 15 years later and I made sure I was well informed. My husband wanted our son circ'd like he is, using the stupid "I want him the same as me*" argument. I told him he had to reaearch it and if he still wanted it he was going to need to go in and watch it be done. Needless to say our son is intact.

shoeless joe likes this.
  14. Maelstrom

Maelstrom Banned

Normally, I like the things you have to state, but that right there is just ignorant. No circumcised man alive today has a memory of having been circumcised or the pain that he felt at the time of the procedure. It is better that it be performed on an infant, who will have no memory of it as an adult, than to subject himself to the pain as an adult if he then decides he wants to be circumcised. Those who are against circumcision tend to be as ignorant regarding its procedure as those who think it is bad for an infant to get its ears pierced. Pain as an infant is not carried over into adult, because there is never any memory of it having happened.

15. Irminsul

Irminsul Valkyrie

There's been many cases where the circumcision has been botched leading to pain and discomfort when the male is mature. There's been cases where it has been so bad the parents force fed their sons hormones to grow breasts and turn feminem because of how severe it's been.

Pain in an infant can definitely carry over. I have scars on each knee that I obtained during infancy and they still tingle and hurt whenever I scratch or rub them.

shoeless joe likes this.
  16. CherokeeMist

CherokeeMist Senior Member

i was circumcised as an infant... and i'm not happy about it. when i asked my dad, he apparently was not even consulted- that shocks me

my mom simply said "it feels better for the woman" (but she's a fucking idiot in general... that's another story). routine circumcision (for non-medical reasons) is a barbaric practice IMO... i mean my parents aren't even religious... what gives?

but it kind of goes along with the fact that i was never talked to about sex- that was left to sex ed in school, which hardly helps. i wasn't talked to about much, actually, and as it stands, sexual issues and other basic things... my family didn't discuss much with me. they weren't and aren't very open. i feel like not much was passed down, probably because not much was/is known, or it was just assumed that other people like my school or my friends would take care of what they probably should have done

i'm saying all of this because it's important to know things and talk to your kids, let them make their own choices but also give them options and keep communication open... otherwise they'll be clueless and in the dark and a fish out of water

but yeah i vote don't circumcise

shoeless joe likes this.
  17. David54

David54 Member

It shouldn't be your choice. When he's old enough to decide for himself, he can have his genitals mutilated all he wants.

shoeless joe likes this.
  18. David54

David54 Member

So, any other body parts we should cut off because we don't want to wash them? The ear lobes spring to mind. Hell, the whole external ear is somewhat pointless. And the exterior portion of the nose, too. You've got to clean it. It can get broken and bloody. Doesn't really do you any good anyway. And hair! It gets messy. You need to get it cut or it gets really messy. And of course, you have to clean it regularly. Electrolysis for every newborn!

shoeless joe likes this.
  19. drumminmama

drumminmama Super Moderator Super Moderator

So, judging by this post there is something to the little head/big head split.
    A bris is NOT performed at 13 years. That is bar mitzvah, a coming of age intellectual/spiritual ceremony. Circumcision is done at a bris at eight days of age.
    Research is fun. It's is your friend. End anti-intellect tyranny!

20. John Kennedy

John Kennedy Member

When I was working in health care lots of guys in their 20's would see the Doc about smells, infections, sores and pain during sex. The Doc would recommend circumcision I'm "cut" and like it.