cindy sheehan

Discussion in 'Protest' started by luna99, Aug 16, 2005.

1. shaggie

shaggie Senior Member

Bush has made himself an easy target by being on vacation in Crawford so often. It's more difficult to get near someone in DC. If I had to bet, however, I would say he isn't going to give up his vacation time at Crawford, even if it would get people like Cindy off his back and out of the media.

2. element7

element7 Random fool

Well I guess da420 has a small point but it comes from this. Realize that those who are actually physically present at the protest on the 'pro-war' side are indeed acting as I describe. You should see this Fort Qualls thing up close, ten commandments on each side of a liberty bell, biblical quotes everywhere, waving a big flag and banging that bell every ten minutes. Out at the camp it's much the same and there were even people chanting "Tear down the crosses", meaning the crosses with names of dead soldiers on them. Much of Bush's support base does come from fanatical fundies who recieve everything from him as if he really is the voice of God. So simply by surrogate, they're out there speaking for you. (pro war).

If this were a game of darts in a bar I guess we'd be tied at zero on nailing personal ideals, Id've put one through the front window, you'd have killed the pinball machine in the corner because your description of me really doesn't fit that well either. But hey, peace. Even if you don't agree with stopping the war please just take a moment at the end of the day to give grace to those who've lost their lives for it in whatever way you can.

3. matthew

matthew Almost sexy

If the crosses have names on of those that support the war and don't wish for there sons and daughters to be represented in the way 'anti war' protestors wish.. then indeed it is within there right to shout 'tear down the crosses' yes they maybe as bad as those actually putting up the crosses for mis-representation.. but heck it is all a game anyway.

'pro war' delegates don't all come from america and they don't all believe in jesus..

4. da420

da420 Banned

I think all far right wingers, and all far left wingers are morons. I am the only one that speaks for me not any of those other morons as I have differing opinions than them. I do believe we are there for the wrong reasons, but our presence alone is just in my opinion. I am not against peace or pro war, I am for freedom which the war in Iraq is bringing, or attempting to bring to the people over there.
    Back to Sheehan. If people don't want their kids crosses up there sheehan and her cronies should have never put them there and they have every right to take them down. She isn't gonna meet with him, she has already met with him. Not every person gets a second chance to meet with him, and he would not have the chance to meet with everyone that wanted to speak with him about thier son's and daughters in the war. I don't understand why she didn't say what she wanted to say to him the first time they met.

5. matthew

matthew Almost sexy

She says grief has brought her to question the reasoning behind the war ..... or something as profound as that.

6. da420

da420 Banned

oh... that explains alot. *rolls eyes*

7. matthew

matthew Almost sexy

Sheehan's anti-war message follows Bush trail
    60-second ad airs on stations in Idaho, Utah

Bill Wallace, Chronicle Staff Writer

Saturday, August 27, 2005

An anti-war TV spot featuring Cindy Sheehan, the Vacaville woman whose son Casey was killed in Iraq, has been dogging President Bush's footsteps as he traveled to Idaho and Utah this past week.

The 60-second ad, in which Sheehan speaks directly to the camera and castigates the president for "your lies" about the Iraq war, has aired on six television affiliates in Salt Lake City and Boise, Idaho, and is scheduled to run nationally on CNN and Fox Network News during the next week.

The ad is not scheduled to appear on any local television stations in California.

The advertisement is similar to one that has been aired on stations in the Waco, Texas, area since Sheehan began her vigil outside the Bush ranch in Crawford, Texas, earlier this month, demanding a meeting with the president.

In it, Sheehan says Bush was wrong to suggest that Iraq threatened the United States with weapons of mass destruction and to tie the Iraqi government to the al Qaeda terrorist organization. "You lied to us, and because of your lies, my son died," she says.

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?file=/chronicle/archive/2005/08/27/MNG0AEECGS1.DTL

Of course everything that comes from her is spot on and in know way jumping on any band wagon and of course she has investigated all the things she says are 'lies'..

Many things have come to her attention since the loss of her son.. all backed with sound reasoning and evidence of course.

8. shaggie

shaggie Senior Member

She's not what's most important politically. It's the trend of this Iraq thing starting to go sour that's the most troubling for Bush.

9. element7

element7 Random fool

Please make a discernable differrence between 'take down' and 'knock down'. There have been folk who have requested that certain names be removed from Arlington West. That request(s) has been treated with utmost regard in common civility and respect. Please remember that there are vets and family members walking both sides, both have lost friends and loved ones. I can tell you that they do not see it as a 'game'.

What they are referring to is in reference to something similar to what Larry Northern did (the man who ran the crosses down with his pick-up). Here's a letter to him from Perry Jeffries, a veteran of the Iraq war.

The vandal, who police say is Waco resident Larry
    Northern, was soon arrested, and OpTruth's Perry Jefferies
    managed to find his e-mail address. Here's what he had to
    say:

Mr. Northern:

I am a Veteran of the Iraq war, having served with the 4th
    Infantry Division on the initial invasion with Force Package
    One.

While I was in Iraq,a very good friend of mine, Christopher
    Cutchall,was killed in an unarmoredHMMWV outside of Baghdad.
    He was a cavalry scout serving with the 3d ID.Once he had
    declined the award of a medal because Soldiers assigned to
    him did not receive similar awards that he had recommended.
    He left two sons and awonderful wife. On Monday night,
    August 16, you ran down the memorial cross erected for him
    by Arlington West.

One of my Soldiers in Iraq was Roger Turner. We gave him a
    hard time because he always wore all of his protective
    equipment, including three pairs of glasses or goggles. He
    did this because he wanted to make sure that he returned
    home to his family. He rode a bicycle to work every day to
    make sure that he was able to save enough money on his Army
    salary to send his son to college. At Camp Anaconda, where
    the squadron briefly stayed, a rocket landed inside a tent,
    sending a piece of debris or fragment into him and killed
    him. On Monday night, August 16, you ran down the memorial
    cross erected for him by Arlington West.

One of my Soldiers was Henry Bacon. He was one of the finest
    men I ever met. He was in perfect shape for a man over
    forty, working hard at night. He told me that he did that
    because he didn't have much money to buy nice things for his
    wife, who he loved so much, so he had to be in good shape
    for her. He was like a father to many young men in his
    section of maintenance mechanics. They fixed our vehicles
    with almost no support and fabricated parts and made repairs
    that kept our squadron rolling on the longest, fastest armor
    advance ever made under fire. He was so very proud of his
    son-in-law that married the beautiful daughter so well
    raised by Henry. His son-in-law was a helicopter pilot with
    the 1st Cavalry Division, who died last year. Henry stopped
    to rescue a vehicle belonging to another unit on what was to
    be his last day in Iraq. He could have kept rolling - he was
    headed to Kuwait after a year's tour. But he stopped. He
    could have sent others to do the work, but he was on the
    ground, leading by example, when he was killed. On Monday
    night, August 16, you took it upon yourself to go out in the
    country, where a peaceful group was exercising their
    constitutional rights, and harming no one, and you ran down
    the memorial cross erected for Henry and for his son-in-law
    by Arlington West.

Mr. Northern - I know little about Cindy Sheehan except that
    she is a grieving mother, a gentle soul, and wants to bring
    harm to no one. I know little about you except that you
    found your way to Crawford on Monday night in August with
    chains and a pipe attached to your truck for the sole
    purpose of dishonoring a memorial erected for my friends and
    lost Soldiers and hundreds of others that served this nation
    when they were called. I find it disheartening that good men
    like these have died so that people like you can threaten a
    mother who lost a child with your actions. I hope that you
    are ashamed of yourself.

Perry Jefferies, First Sergeant, USA (retired)

Stop by Iraqi Vets For Peace, Veterans for Peace, Gold Star and Blue Star families for peace and maybe read up some. These aren't 'cronies', they are people who have a direct relation to this war.

10. matthew

matthew Almost sexy

I was just parroting the phrase used.. i apolgise for not making a 'discernable differrence '.

11. Rink

Rink Member

Greetings,

After a night of watching [adultswim] and not yet to the point where I could fall asleep, I saw an early morning tv show while flipping through the channels, Mrs. Sheehan happened to be speaking on this broadcast, and as I have been following the story, I was interested in what she had to say.
    Mrs. Sheehan then proceeded to discuss all about why she was doing this and what it meant to her, her feelings on the war, etc. and the main thing that she stressed was that, this is no longer about Just her son, and this is no longer about Just meeting with Bush, she said that it has become protest for peace, and that even if she wanted to stop the movement she couldnt, the movement has taken on a life of it's own, and as more protesters keep arriving everyday, well, the oppurtunities are limitless. One can only hope for the continued progress of a modern and very real oppurtunity to get involved with something positive, now whether you are a democrat, republican, liberal, or conservative, this now a growing movement of Peace, and that is something that can ring in all of us. Just because Bush is a republican, doesnt mean a liberal can't support ANY of his actions, and just because you may be republican doesnt mean you cant support peace. Yes it is true Bush is destroying the fundamentals of america, and has yet to provide liberals and conservatives with something to agree on, but that doesnt mean it cant happen, and that is no reason that americans must destroy each other, whether in anti-protester protesting violence (truck driver, attacking protesters with different views etc) or here in public forums.
    We should all promote peace, either way, I enjoyed reading everyones opinions, and wish you all the best on your journeys.
    As for me....
    My wife and I are planning on going down to crawford, to support Peace, and I hope that anyone who feels that Peace is a viable alternative to War, well we hope to meet you there.

"You must be the change you wish to see in the world."
    Mahatma Ghandi

"If we wage peace with the intensity with which we waged war,
    there would be no wars."
    - Ian White

12. seamonster66

seamonster66 discount dracula

thats pretty sad that people become more "pro-war" based on what she said...what a bunch of reactionaries

13. Random Andy

Random Andy Member

:) That's funny.

How come ppl who protest against war are usually called reactionaries? Surely going to war (whatever war you're talking about) is already a reaction, as opposed to an action. It (reactionary) has all these negative connotations, but everything is a reaction.

14. Sera Michele

Sera Michele Senior Member

I would hardly call a few precent a swing.

15. element7

element7 Random fool

It is the exercising of constitutional rights which makes the writing valid. Outside of use it is only a conundrum of words. Words, while bearing merit in a public arena still remain lifeless outside of the authenticity of action.

In short, anyone can write a rule book, but: it takes backup....

That is the test of words.

What say you?

16. matthew

matthew Almost sexy

If the protest is based on facts rather than emotive rhetoric.. thats fine. Most 'anti war' protests are based on outdated rhetoric and biased POV.

17. da420

da420 Banned

Run for office, or take place in someone's campaign. Vote for people that agree with your views. Write thousands of letters to officials. Much better and more meaningful than protesting.

18. rangerdanger

rangerdanger Senior Member

Anti-war protestors during the Viet Nam war saved lives.

By showing the war bosses that we didn't support that illegal war.
    By helping to erode the gov'ts war footing.
    The U.S. gov't is (supossedly) by, for and of the people, and the people said NO MORE WAR.
    Had the gov't paid more attention, many more lives would have been saved. It took riots, draft resisters and multiple marches of 100,000+ to get their attention.

Someone please tell me--what did the U.S. accomplish in Viet Nam?
    I bet it's about as much as our invasion/occupation of Iraq does.

19. Angel_Headed_Hipster

Angel_Headed_Hipster Senior Member

Gilligan and da420...if you support this war than fucking enlist you ignorant morons.

20. matthew

matthew Almost sexy

Calm down.. i thought this kinda thing was not your thing.. are you drunk ?.

Telling people to 'go fucking enlist' is a bit 'ignorant' and 'moronic' don't you think..?. Thanks for not telling me to go 'fucking enlist' i must not be a 'ignorant moron' phew :rolleyes: