Cindy Sheehan resigns

Discussion in 'Politics' started by shaggie, May 30, 2007.

1. mbworkrelated

mbworkrelated Banned

Maybe shaggie can clear that one up - from the numerous quotes and speaches she has made - i think you might be onto something.
    Imho if she is then that unfortunatly colours everything she says and thinks - rightly or wrongly.

Erm well :

A warmonger is, pejoratively, someone who is anxious to encourage a people or nation to go to war. It is often used to describe militaristic leaders, or mercenaries, commonly with the implication that they either may have selfish motives for encouraging war, or may actually enjoy war.

By etymology a warmonger is literally a seller of war, from monger used as a transitive verb, meaning a peddler.

Ask guy : http://www.hipforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=216879

I'd not describe her as that.

http://sweetness-light.com/archive/some-cindy-sheehan-quotes/
    She is a peice of work for sure - maybe it is a good thing for her to give it all up for a while. Reasses where she is at.
    The tragic part of all of this is I do not believe she speaks for her son.

2. shaggie

shaggie Senior Member

We can have a protracted debate on her style and other cosmetic issues. What is relevant about her is that she was the first figure against the war that I'm aware of who received attention from the national media. The coverage of her activities in 2005 were the first turning point away from the initial widespread support for the war rooted in the post-911 patriotic stupor.

She and others have criticized the corporate war machine, so it's natural that people who are in support of the war and Bush or the corporate system are going to get frustrated and try to dig up whatever material they can, cosmetic or otherwise, about people who disagree with the war.

3. shaggie

shaggie Senior Member

The phrase 'she does not speak for her son' is used often on the propaganda news sites. They like that one in particular because it attempts to insult the core of what she is doing.

4. Piney

Piney Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

I think Cindy Sheehan was used by the people around her.

Used as a mascot for The Movement. Used as media bait.

All of the attention must be nice. Its understandable that She wants
    to pause her activities.

5. mbworkrelated

mbworkrelated Banned

Me - I'm not attempting to insult her - the fact is we do not know and never will know how her son feels about what she is doing and the way she has used him in her campaign. She could well ''speak for her son'' in many ways but not completly [on issues like ''She and others have criticized the corporate war machine''].
    I know doubt think you have a point - as the war in Iraq became less and less favourable and the support dwindles amongst those that supported the action - i'm sure her rationale and politics have grown in favour. It is almost ''unfashionable'' to continue to have the opinion of the ''pro Iraq war'' -
    Yeah I know 'she does not speak for her son' is a cliche - one of many that are used and abused. I have tried my best not to be derisory for the hell of it - and just be honest.
    That goes for her and her ilk as well they are full of cliches as well.
    I do try my best not to fall into those pot holes but sometimes the truth is the truth.
    I ''support'' the war and the what has been achieved [also noting the myriad of failures] - I am not a huge fan of Bush but don't like the many cliched points that get thrown his way along with anybody that does ''support'' the war.

6. mbworkrelated

mbworkrelated Banned

I agree with you about her being used and abused willingly or unwillingly - but I doubt the media attention is ''nice'' - it might well have been at the begining but not after so long. That I believe is why she wants a break from it.

7. shaggie

shaggie Senior Member

People latched onto her and it has drained her over the past two years. I heard her talk in person and chatted with her very briefly. She seems sincere about her cause, in spite of what some of the namecallers like to say. She is still very hurt about what happened to her son. People react and deal with death in different ways. It seems to affect some people more deeply than others.

8. gardener

gardener Realistic Humanist

That's always an option for each of us individually.

9. mbworkrelated

mbworkrelated Banned

I've already started :) [apart from responding to previous points -that will evaporate after a few more posts - i'm done for a month].

10. gardener

gardener Realistic Humanist

Just like Bush, so sad that no one views Cheney as a mascot, he does have kind of a pit bull presence. He's about the last of the neo cons left in this administration. Ashcroft, Rumsfield, Wolfowitz, Powell (who was truly used)...the only one left is sweet Condi Rice, go figure.

11. rebelfight420

rebelfight420 Banned

I will say she has done more good then harm.