cigarettes and tobacco products in europe

Discussion in 'Europe' started by Raoul_Duke, May 11, 2004.

1. wolf_at_door

wolf_at_door Senior Member

They just built a new busterminal in my city. In the old busterminal, you could smoke anywhere. There's air ventilation and tall to the ceiling. Now they built a new one, still with air ventilation and tall to the ceiling, but in difference to the old one, huge signs telling me "non-smoker area" every-fucking-where in that bus terminal.
    I know about all the good intentions, and ofcourse they're right! I will never allow my kids to smoke, if I ever get any (that I doubt). Lets try to tell new generations not to smoke, ofcourse. Ofcourse I agree on that!
    ...But many times, I think poltiticians "good intentions" are just bad apologies for "doing it the american way". To do it like #1 anti-tobacco-fascist society. Our big leader, which economic and political system we admire so much (for some reason I dont know).

...And some of us actually already started to smoke tobacco. It's one of my very few pleasures in life to smoke, so I would wish the politicians would keep their "good intentions" for themselves. I think, some opionformers and politicians are planning others life with heart& good intentions, but they are blind in their own richness, happiness, goodness, and mental excess. They wanna protect me from dying young, and they wont accept my right to escapism. I like to smoke cannabis, and I like to smoke tobacco. That's the two best things I enjoy in life.... oh, yes, music also, ofcourse - and books!!
    -They want to take both cannabis and tobacco away from me, because of their "good intentions".
    I'm angry because they dont respect people to live their life simple, unhealthy, and independent.

p.s. My dad was also almost dying a few months ago (in the middle of a supermarket he suddenly fell to the floor). Too fat - too much tobacco, the doctor said. He got a warning chock, and therefore he's much healthier now. I'm aware that there is no "die young..." about that. I dont want to end up in the same situation, but I probably will. And good intentions are good, and my friends often try to convince me to stop. All I say is that I would be better off without the socalled "good intentions" from politicians and other people at power... and medias and shit.

2. Digital Underpants

Digital Underpants Member

Here in u.s.a they have written warnings on all the packs but that don't stop anyone from buying them.They upped the price two yrs ago and that did'nt stop smokers either.I don't know the money lingo here but they are 5 american dollars a pack for generic brands marb and camels cost alittle more.
    The price hike was for taxes of course and to pay for the tabacco health plan. If you are dying from smokes it pays the bill. I think it sucks.

3. Penny

Penny Supermoderaginaire

I think I agree with my mom when she says that forbidding something - or in the case of tobacco, raise the price, make warnings, etc. only make people want to buy it more. It's human nature... I mean, look in the US, alcohol is forbidden under 21 and all the kids get drunk as soon as they can... even they don't like drinking, they just do because they wanna be little rebels! It's really stupid... I'm sure that if it was authorized at 14 no one would be interested in drinking that much.

4. wolf_at_door

wolf_at_door Senior Member

p.s....

And if the fascists had the chance, they would also try to take the music and books away from me. In that case, they would probably also have some "good intentions".

-And I definately agree at your point, Penny. :/

5. migle

migle Senior Member

Obviously, all they want is control your life and your habits and your thoughts as much as they can, and they have the mediums to do it, such as TV. No one can escape from that, everybody watch TV, I try not to watch it much, but it's impossible not doing. Anyway, I stay thinking that the solution to all this shit is provide ourselves a good education and as I usually say, try to chew the information you get before swallow it. Me and my brother (politics student) argue with my parents almost everyday watching news on TV, and I always tell them that, try to chew the news, becase if not, you will get the zombie they want you to be.
    Although all this, I agree with the attempt of governments to avoid people smoking, but I decided that I'm going to smoke as long as I like.

Think for yourself, question authority