cigarettes and tobacco products in europe

Discussion in 'Europe' started by Raoul_Duke, May 11, 2004.

1. Raoul_Duke

Raoul_Duke Member

i smoke, i know its a horrible habit, but i just enjoy it, i enjoy the taste of cigarettes and i like the buzz i get, im not i heavy smoker only a few a day but a friend and i are going backpacking in europe this summer and im looking for any information on the cigarette brands they have over there, prices, any special cigarettes or cigars or other stuff i should try over there?

2. Penny

Penny Supermoderaginaire

Where are you from? If you're from the US, well I can tell you that you'll find the same thing, and for a much cheaper price! A pack of blonde/filter cigarettes costs like €2.30 in Spain, €4 in France and I don't know about the other countries...

There are some French cigarettes I really like, called Gauloises.

3. bokonon

bokonon Senior Member

Don't smoke many cigarettes these days, rolling tobacco for me. I suppose Golden Virginia is the No.1 brand of that in England, pricey though, a pack of that will cost you £4+. You can pay around £1 for other brands.

I'd say visit a tobacconist, get yourself some mint or strawberry flavoured bacci! Sounds dodgy but it aint.

4. migle

migle Senior Member

eyy, penny, when did you leave spain? i mean, cigarettes pize are increasing a lot, now in spain, a marlboro 20 cigarettes box costs 2,65 €.
    we should stop smoking or we're getting broke.
    Although here in Spain is much cheaper than in the rest of Europe, in England and Ireland, 20 cigarettes are over 5 or 6 €, horrible for smokers.

5. kier

kier I R Baboon

packs are around £4+, i'd buy golden virginia (rolling tobaco) as you can pace yourself (and add stuff ;)). i don't smoke though, so can't give you acurate prices :)

6. Penny

Penny Supermoderaginaire

migle, I didn't leave Spain yet, actually I smoke Camels and those cost €2.30, and most people I know smoke Fortunas and those are even cheaper, I think? But it's true that prices have increased, Marlboros are pretty expensive compared to the rest...

I understand why the prices go up everywhere in Europe, it's the laws to make smokers... smoke less! In the south of France, people go to Spain every month to get cigarettes...

One thing that I find to be horrible is those tags that are half the pack big and say in huge letters "SMOKING CAN KILL YOU" and such... here they sell tags made especially to hide that, with drawings on them. I don't say that it's good, because the warning messages are true, but it's not very nice to see "you're gonna die" every time you pick up a cigarette...

7. migle

migle Senior Member

Yeah, you're right, i missed the rest of marks of cigarettes.
    Where in Spain are you living?

I agree with the increasing, attacking your pocket is the best way to make you give up smoking, but i think we'll continue smoking until prices are like in the rest of Europe.
    And that's true, a friend of mine's uncle lives in Navarra very close to the old border with France, and he owns an Estanco (Spanish stores dedicated to sell tobacco) and he is becoming rich because of French people who goes everyday to buy lots of cigarettes.

Have you heard about "el jueves" magazine? A very popular and funny magazine which is always laughing at politics, and they make intelligent humour, very sharp. They were giving tags with the same size and shape as the cigarettes packets' but with very original messages, some examples translated from Spanish with my poor English:
    "If smoking were so badly, George W. Bush would bomb with cigarettes."
    "If you don't drink, neither smoke, nor fuck, what do you live for? Continue smoking ;-)"

8. borut16

borut16 Hip Forums Supporter HipForums Supporter

i have to agree...it's even worse here; it says: SMOKING KILLS YOU
    gosh, and the law is that when we turn 15 we can buy cigs...weird country!

9. bokonon

bokonon Senior Member

Warning from Drum tobacco here in England...

"Smoking can cause a slow and painful death"

A friend of mine was telling me about Canadian cigarettes actually having pictures of black/cancerous organs on the pack. That's pretty grim.

10. Penny

Penny Supermoderaginaire

migle, I live in Murcia, and I never heard of "El Jueves" but it sounds interesting!

bokonon, it's horrible what you're telling us... I can't believe it!!!!

11. migle

migle Senior Member

I heard about the photos in the packet, I heard that they were going to print it here in spain too, but there was something about a lot of protests that made the government to give it up for the moment.

And Penny, in Murcia, i've never been there, but i think you're very lucky, so close to the sea, i'd like to live near the sea, now i'm 400 km far from the closest beach. Have you been to Malaga or Almeria? Have you visited Andalucia?

P.S: We all have to give up smoking :D , now...

12. wolf_at_door

wolf_at_door Senior Member

All the known brands cost about 4 euro here as well, but there are cheap brands like Corner and North State for just about 3 euro. You should try the french Galois. A good, wonderful strong cigarette.
    You can also buy various stickers that looks like the health warnings, saying "Smokers got more friends" and similar funny-funny lame sayings (to stick on your packet of cigarette). The stickers are lame, but I also love them, because you can cover the government warning with them. :)

13. Penny

Penny Supermoderaginaire

migle, I've never been to Andalucia, but I'm gonna go to Beneficio, near Granada this summer, to a Rainbow commune.

I've been a lot around Alicante, Torre Vieja, Elche, and more to the south Cartagena, La Manga... it's really nice there, and I'm also very close to La Mar De Cristal :)

(I would speak in Spanish to you pero no hablo muy bien - entiendo mejor! ;) )

14. bokonon

bokonon Senior Member

Indeed, but smoking is rather horrible. People should know just how nasty their lungs are gonna get! I'm all for it.

I mean up until a certain age I figured I knew the risks of smoking, then the warnings started telling me about the formaldehyde and cyanide in my tobacco and that's some scary shit to be reading!

Admittedly it didn't work on me, I was hooked already. But if I were to catch a young cousin or one day my own kid puffin away they'd be in for one disturbing lecture!

15. wolf_at_door

wolf_at_door Senior Member

I know about the formaldehyde and cyanid in the tobacco I smoke. But I cant stop, so I will probably die, because of my smoking habit, and so what?

I'm not that stupid - ofcourse I know that smoking is not healthy (and I regret that I ever started - I was simply just stupid at that time); the warnings on the packets never inform me about anything that I dont know already; they only tell rediculous truisms.
    Maybe I'll die 10-20-30 years before all you non-smokers, but so what? Maybe it doesn't bother me to die 10-20-30 years before you.
    -cuz does it matter?

16. migle

migle Senior Member

I agree ,you know the phrase "die young and leave a beautiful corpse" LOL
    But the good we have know is that we are much more advertised than our parents, my father was smoking for 30 years, and he had a problem and the doctor told him to stop smoking or he would go worse, and he gave it up. Now, we know all it better, and i don't think any of us keep smoking 30 years, it would be too stupìd, we're young and we have decided to smoke, but i think now people decide to give it up earlier, maybe i'll stay smoking 3, 4, 5 years, i don't know, but i do think all of us will stop smoking one day, maybe the day of our death... :D

17. boringtree

boringtree Custom User Title

isnt the eu going to enforce all its nations to put those dreadful images of tar-riddin cancerous lungs and stuff on all tobacco packaging? that should be fun!

a pack of twenty fags over here generally cost €6.20. and you cant smoke in Any public place that has a roof. for the hell of it, i smoke john player and on me box here it says, very boldly, smoking clogs the arteries and causes heart attacks and strokes.

18. migle

migle Senior Member

god!! 6'20 € puffffffff, i have no words. :eek:
    I heard about new laws for smoking in Ireland, i guess you cannot smoke inside pubs, that let me without words again :eek:
    It's just a persecution, can you smoke a home?, or they ban you to do it even at your own home?
    Unbelievable.

19. neoteny

neoteny Member

I was in Madrid at the end of March and only paid 2.30 for a pack of camels.

20. boringtree

boringtree Custom User Title

yes, the current law allows smoking in the house, provided you dont employ anyone under your roof! pigfuckers. if an electrition came to fix the wiring in your house, it is then allegal to smoke while the electrictioners their. even if he was to smoke or he let you smoke, it is still illegal!