Cigar Boxes

Discussion in 'Fashion and Crafts' started by mtnhighgirl, Jan 26, 2005.

1. mtnhighgirl

mtnhighgirl Member

I have a bunch of wooden cigar boxes that want to be decorated. There are stickers all over them, that don't want to come off without sandpaper. I was thinking about covering them in fabric, or maybe doing some decoupage. Does anyone else have ideas? They'll make great stash boxes if I can only funk them up a bit.

2. MaryJeanne

MaryJeanne Member

my sister gave me a bunch of those... with the stickers inside of the box. i guess you could modge podge over them with some cool stuff, sticker them up more, or try to rip them up and paint it. i love having them beacuse i can put so much stuff in them. reminds me of my sisters crazy hippie daze.
    peace and love... ill keep thinking for ideas... itll come to me

3. Hipkatmeow

Hipkatmeow Member

OOH my friends Grandmother decoupage'd a cigar box for me for a birthday gift... its beautiful she put flowers all over it... because she knows how much I love flowers and how someday I want a HUGE flower bed... I love that box I keep all my favorite things in it... so make the box funy and like you... she even did the inside of it!

4. Faerie

Faerie Peachy

I make trinket boxes out of them.. i use spray adhisive and fabric... also i put styrofoam in them and make ring and jewelry holders ( i cover the foam with fabric)

5. mtnhighgirl

mtnhighgirl Member

Spary adhesive....that's whatI need! I tried to glue fabric on the boxes with white glue; what a mess! Thanks for the ideas! Keep them coming.:)

6. lacyj

lacyj Member

Add a beaded handle and make purses

7. yesplease

yesplease Member

not only decoupage them for a friend, fill it with a gift or special trinket and give it as a gift!

8. peacelovebarefeet

peacelovebarefeet BuRniN oNe...

make personalized ones for your friends!

take stuff out of magasines that represent your friends and modge podge it! also, when one of my friends is feeling down/gloomy, i take "nice" words from magasines (ie, awesome, pretty, fun, party, etc etc etc) and modge podge them to the box, and then fill it with candy and other trinkets and give it to them.. it really makes their day!

9. cerridwen

cerridwen in stitches

get some rhinestones to make them glittery.... or eyelash yarn to surround them with a fringe...

10. Bohemian_Child

Bohemian_Child Member

i actually work in a tobacco/cigar shop: with most boxes if you steam it a little bit (the all wood ones can take a bit of steam, the cardboard ones cannot) it will loosen the stickers. Either goo gone or lighter fluid are good for removing the goop left from the sticker, though either needs to dry well before you do anything and may affect the paint

just a suggestion.