cicada recipes

Discussion in 'Random Thoughts' started by dilligaf, May 16, 2004.

1. dilligaf

dilligaf Banned

AH yes ,, the cicadas are here and with vigor... They were kewl at first listening and seeing them and all but have become rather bothersome, loud and obnoxious,,, (good thing we dont have them as pets)...

and well hhb n i figger we have heard n read enough articles about the things and quite frankly we know their demise anyway so we have decided we may as well try and cook us up a few and eattum...:)

here is the recipe we are figgerin on usin if anyone else is interested and of course we are open to suggestions iffin anyone else has tried the lil buggers.... i have seen a taco recipe but that just seems like all too much work....

*Disclaimer: First consult with your doctor. While many people do eat cicadas, there is no guarantee that they are safe for every person to eat. As with all foods, it is possible that certain individuals will have allergic reactions to substances within the cicada.

Before You Begin

Who to Cook: Newly hatched cicadas, called tenerals, are considered best for eating because their shells have not hardened. It is best to collect these in the very early hours of the morning, just after they have emerged but before they have time to climb up out reach. The best way to do this is to simply go outside with a brown paper bag and start scooping them in. You can cook with them immediately, or refrigerate them (they will remain alive but will mature much more slowly) or freeze them.

Keep in mind that freezing will work best for those that you are going to roast, as the consistency of the cicada may change and make them inappropriate for dishes that call for fresh cicadas. If you are unable to get any tenerals, then mature females are the next best thing. Adult males have very hollow abdomens and will not be much of a mouthful, but the females are filled with fat. Just be sure to remove all the hard parts, such as wings and legs, before you use the adults. These parts will not harm you, but they are also not very tasty.

Soft-Shelled Cicadas

Ingredients:

1 cup Worcestershire sauce

60 freshly emerged 17-year cicadas

4 eggs, beaten

3 cups flour

Salt and pepper to season the flour

1 cup corn oil or slightly salted butter

Directions:

Marinate cicadas alive in a sealed container in Worcestershire sauce for several hours. (Note: You can skip this step and go directly to the egg step instead.)

Dip them in the beaten egg, roll them in the seasoned flour and then gently sauté until they are golden brown.

2. hippiehillbilly

hippiehillbilly the old asshole

3. daisymae

daisymae Senior Member

Well, I was just waiting to see if you lived first, hhb. ;) j/k

I don't think I could eat insects, unless they didn't still look like insects. I have read that they are an excellent source of protein, easier to digest than meat.

Maybe you could show us some pics of your meal? :D

4. HappyHaHaGirl

HappyHaHaGirl *HipForums Princess*

Last time they were here, someone told a bunch of kids at my little sister's school that you could eat them and they had to take like 10 Kindergarteners to the hospital.....

In sixth grade, this dumb girl brought a whole bunch to school in a glass jar, for some reason. They were fucking all over the place....it's not like she needed to show us what they looked like. But...the jar broke in homeroom and they were flying all over the place and they got in this girl's hair...it was like a bad movie. Then the girl got in trouble because the principal considered the broken glass a weapon and she tried to do the Zero Tolerance thing and get her kicked out.

Two weeks later, the principal got a DUI. :)

5. Dustinthewind

Dustinthewind woopdee fucking doo

have you guys considered trying out for "Fear Factor?"

I could not even consider eating a bug, knowing it was one. I am sure I have consumed plenty of bugs through other sources of food, but to actually knowingly eating one, just grosses me out.

6. mynameiskc

mynameiskc way to go noogs!

we don't have ANY here. i've been looking. maybe they just haven't reached our zone yet.

7. dilligaf

dilligaf Banned

nahh no fear factor for us ,,,, i like my junk cooked ,,,:D

it is more a curiosity thing,,,(hm but didnt that kill da damned cat?)

hell we may not be alive when they come round next time:p

n well i dont figger that once we pluck their lil wings n legs n such off , they wont much look like an insect no more ,,, then they get battered too so i figger i can just pretend its a fried mushroom or sumthin;)

n yess we plan on postin a pic of our lil meal just to be gross ,,, maybe even a in da mouth shot of them goin on down,,,, :rolleyes:

8. skip

skip Founder Administrator

Well.....??????

How are they?

LMAO! Feast like it comes only once every 17 years!

How about cicada pie? cicada ice cream? cicada souffle anyone?

Damn if only we could eat enuf of 'em we might be able to whittle them down so's there aren't so many next time...

(yeah, right!)

9. nimh

nimh ~foodie~

yeh, i want to know how they are too. we dont get them here, otherwise i'd definitely try out that recipe.

10. dilligaf

dilligaf Banned

well i went n collected me some specimens last night, tossedum in a jar... then i read the article that said to catch them in the am as they are softer,,,, sooooooo therefore will have to wait til i can get up n catch me some bright n early so they are soft n tender.... the only other recipe i had found til this am was using them n yankin off hard parts n wingz then saute with garlic n butter

in the mean time... i found a few more recipes ,, and one just fer you skip:D

Cicada Rhubarb Pie
    Ingredients:

4 cups chopped rhubarb

1 cup fresh cicadas, washed and any hard parts removed

1 1/3 cups white sugar

6 tablespoons all-purpose flour

1 tablespoon butter

1 recipe pastry for a 9-inch double crust pie

Directions:

1. Preheat oven to 450 degrees Fahrenheit.

2. Combine sugar and flour. Sprinkle one-fourth of it over pastry in pie plate. Heap rhubarb over this mixture. Sprinkle cicadas in amongst the rhubarb. Sprinkle with remaining sugar and flour. Dot with small pieces of butter. Cover with top crust.

3. Place pie on lowest rack in oven. Bake for 15 minutes. Reduce oven temperature to 350 degrees Fahrenheit and continue baking for 40 to 45 minutes.

Yield:

Makes 1 pie (8 servings)

El Chirper Tacos

Ingredients:

2 tablespoons butter or peanut oil

1/2 pound newly emerged cicadas

2 serrano chilies, raw, finely chopped

1 tomato, finely chopped

1 onion, finely chopped

1/2 tsp ground pepper or to taste

1/2 tsp cumin

3 tsp taco seasoning mix

1 handful cilantro, chopped

Taco shells, to serve

Sour cream

Shredded cheddar cheese

Shredded lettuce

Directions

1. Heat the butter or oil in a frying pan and fry the cicadas for 10 minuts, or until cooked through.

2. Remove from pan and roughly chop into 1/4-inch cubes/ Place back in pan.

3. Add the chopped onions, chilies and tomato, season with salt, and fry for another 5 minutes on medium-low heat.

4. Sprinkle with ground pepper, cumin and oregano to taste.

5. Serve in taco shells and garnish with cilantro, sour cream, lettuce and cheddar cheese

11. StellaBlue

StellaBlue Senior Member

I've read on many sites that humans eat these bugs, and that they can be quite tasty. One article (discovery) compared the taste to asparagus. Interesting! Please let us know how they taste!

12. ImaPeach

ImaPeach Member

Dang! I saw all the cicadas on the evening news today! There was some guy cookin' em up with garlic sauce and puttin 'em in a pie! I totally thought it was just all a joke..... apparently not!

And once again I find myself directing people to the vegetarian forum.

btw. are cicadas just like crickets? not sure we have 'em in aus.

13. HappyHaHaGirl

Who was the first freak that was like, "Hey, y'all! Let's fry em up! There's plenty for everyone!!!"

14. olhippie54

olhippie54 Touch Of Grey Lifetime Supporter

You do crazy things when high and have the munchies.

15. HappyHaHaGirl

Haha...I guess so... :) He was probably from Tennessee... :eek:

16. olhippie54

olhippie54 Touch Of Grey Lifetime Supporter

LOL!!! No shit!!!

17. cerridwen

cerridwen in stitches

that is mildly gross... besides, I love the sound of cicadas..

18. StellaBlue

StellaBlue Senior Member

Hrm, apparently it isn't so safe:

[/quote]Man ill after gorging on sauteed cicadas
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Associated Press
    May 15, 2004

BLOOMINGTON, Ind. -- A man who cooked and ate nearly 30 cicadas sought medical treatment after suffering a strong allergic reaction to the sauteed insects.

The man showed up at a Bloomington clinic Thursday covered from head-to-toe in hives, and sheepishly told a doctor he'd caught and ate the cicadas after sauteing them in butter with crushed garlic and basil.

"He said they didn't taste too bad, but his wife didn't care for the aroma," said Dr. Al Ripani, the doctor who treated the man at Promptcare East.

The man, who has a history of asthma and shellfish allergies, suffered a "significant allergic reaction," after eating the cicadas, Ripani said.

He said he gave the man antihistamines, steroids and a shot of adrenaline, then observed him for two hours before sending him home.

After living underground for 17 years and feeding on tree roots, the so-called Brood X cicadas are emerging by the billions across the Eastern U.S.

Ripani said recent newspaper articles extolling the tastiness of cicada cuisine should have warned people that dining on the bugs can be dangerous for some people.

"Severe food allergies such as this can be fatal," he said. "I feel that needs to be stressed in these articles."

He said the University of Maryland's department of entomology's Cicada-licious cookbook, which includes recipes for Cicada Stir-Fry and Cicada Dumplings, contains a disclaimer urging people to consult a doctor before eating cicadas.

"We ask that you please take special caution if you have other food allergies, such as soy, nuts or shellfish, or if you know of any contact allergies that you may have to other insects," it states.[/quote]
    Source: http://www.indystar.com/articles/0/146839-2920-103.html

So yeah, be careful folks! :)

19. TheLittleOne

TheLittleOne Senior Member

eh...i'd try it if someone made it right

20. HappyHaHaGirl

Why is it so cool to eat cicadas? They're freaking bugs! There are spiders and roaches and beetles and ants walking around all the time, and it doesn't even cross my mind to snatch them up and invite the neighbors over for a cookout.... do we just have nothing else to do??? It's crazy.

But I like it. :) Don't tell.