Christians, go away, come again another day.

Discussion in 'Agnosticism and Atheism' started by Hikaru Zero, Jan 29, 2005.

1. Hikaru Zero

Hikaru Zero Sylvan Paladin

Hey there.

Now, I'm not an atheist or agnostic myself (though I'm closer to agnostic than pretty much every other religion), but I peruse this forums regularly.

I come here to have some interesting and intelligent conversation with the free thinkers here on this board. People who aren't interested in promoting what they believe in, but are interested in discussing it with other people who believe similarly.

But, when I come to these boards, I see topics like "john lennon on god," and "satan ... biblical hero?" and "believe not to believe," and "Don't remain tied, Darwin has lied."

All of these topics (and I don't mean just the subjects, I'm talking about the threads themselves as well) DO NOT BELONG ON THESE BOARDS.

I'm getting rather sick and tired of seeing Christians invade these boards to ask us "why?" and question our beliefs.

So ...

I am going to say this nicely the first time.

Please do not invade the Agnosticism and Atheism board. You all, with your respective religious beliefs, have your own boards, so stay on your own boards.

These boards are NOT boards about evolutionism or Darwinism or anything of the sort. They are about atheism and agnosticism. Don't come here to bash evolutionists! Don't come here to promote your God or impose your beliefs on others by trying to expose flaw in others' beliefs!

These boards are for seeking knowledge, NOT for converting people or insulting people!

Now, I've said my peace. Thanks for listening, and please, once more, Don't invade boards that don't belong to you! I don't mind people coming here to ask us what we believe, why we believe it, or whatever. But I DO mind people turning this board into a giant bash/insult-fest and bringing it entirely off-topic.

Thanks.

Hikaru Zero

P.S. I apologize for using "Christians" in the title, as there are certainly Christians who are welcome on these boards. However, the majority of the people talking on these boards nowadays seem to be offensively Christian, and I am *VERY* sick and tired of it. I don't care if you're Christian, Islamic, or Buddhist, but leave your religions at home when you come to visit boards that don't belong to you!

2. cabdirazzaq

cabdirazzaq Member

I think my thread "Don't remain tied, Darwin has lied is a very relevant thread and should belong to the atheism forum.

3. BlackBillBlake

BlackBillBlake resigned HipForums Supporter

I think its free to anyone to start a thread here or put their own point of view on an existing thread no matter if they are atheists, agnostics or believers in whatever religion.

After all, these are free speech forums - so if people aren't blatantly flaming or trolling they are free to post here or anywhere else - at least, that's my interpretation of free speech in this context.

4. Hikaru Zero

cabdirazzaq: I don't think your thread is necessarily bad, but it's here to bash evolutionists, is it not? Its sole purpose is to downgrade and prove wrong evolutionists. Now, I could see it being a perfect post for an evolutionists discussion board, but ... this isn't an evolutionist discussion board. Keep in mind, I don't mean any personal offense, I'm just trying to keep this rather popular board on-topic and bash/insult-free, because it seems to be turning from a knowledge-finding board into a board for messing with non-believers.

BlackBillBlake:

"I think its free to anyone to start a thread here or put their own point of view on an existing thread no matter if they are atheists, agnostics or believers in whatever religion."

If you re-read my post, I wasn't arguing against that at all.

"After all, these are free speech forums - so if people aren't blatantly flaming or trolling they are free to post here or anywhere else - at least, that's my interpretation of free speech in this context."

The problem is, they ARE blatantly flaming, and topics nowadays are being made to PROVOKE blatant flaming. Free speech is the way to go, but there are specific boards for each individual topic. As a matter of fact, there are boards out there for the specific purpose OF flaming. And while that's all fine and dandy, it shouldn't be on this board.

5. BlackBillBlake

I think though that if only those who think in a certain way post here, it would rapidly become very dull.

6. Hikaru Zero

I'm not asking that. I'm asking the flamers and the people who are constantly accomplishing nothing by bashing non-believers and trying to convert them to politely leave in an orderly fashion (or at least stop posting things that don't do anything but cause controversy). That's all.

And is that so much to ask?

The age-old struggle between various believers and non-believers continues forever. It's never going to cease. So, get over it, and stop posting Christian drivel like "john lennon on god" and such on these boards. Stick to your own kind unless you actually have something to do besides spark controversy ... question your beliefs on a "believers" board, and stop questioning the beliefs of others. Seriously. If it bothers you that other people believe differently than you, then ... get over it!

It does ABSOLUTELY nothing but be an annoyance to people and cause unwanted and unneeded strife.

There are plenty of other things to talk about here ... the existance and nature of consciousness is just one example. I'm sure that many people who visit these boards could come up with something very interesting to talk about, so why are we wasting our time arguing what has already been argued before? :confused:

7. Occam

Occam Old bag of dreams

Hikaru

Occam opinions that the evangelists come here through ignorance.
    And also agnosticism/athiesm is about questions of 'a god'
    but not a specific one of another belief.
    Not a distorted mirror image of their own 'faith'
    So they come ..
    After their dogma gets chewed up by reason/logic..
    They go away.

Evolution.

Occam

Cabdirazzaq has stuck around..Occam thinks he maybe liking the idea of
    working things out for himself..Instead of forcing observed relality
    into a mould called islam ;)

8. Occam

Occam Old bag of dreams

Hikaru

Occam agrees that questions on the nature of consciousness are of
    FAR greater import than the continuing skirmish, instigated by religion/faith,
    against reason/logic..
    Occam calles it a skirmish, it used to be a war but religion is no longer
    allowed to kill those that dont believe, in 'their' name of god.

Occam

9. Burbot

Burbot Dig my burdei

HZ-you also must then, if you are a bit up in arms of the flaming in this board, then you must equally be upset at the flaming going on on the Christian forums etc...

10. darrellkitchen

darrellkitchen Lifetime Supporter

Actually, Hikaru, these boards are for everyone who has agreed to the Forum Guidelines for admitance to the forums. It doesn't matter which forum they choose to read, respond, or frequent.

As long as they are not in violation of the Forum Guidelines they can post what, where and when they want.

If you, or anyone for that matter, has a problem with what someone has said, you or they can always e-mail me personally (darrell@starfleet-ufp.net), PM me, or fill out a complaint which goes to all the Forum Moderators, and it will be investigated. And if not relevant to the particular forum in question can be moved from that form to another forum at the Moderator's discretion.

I have been personally monitoring the Philosophy and Religion forums quite frequently the past months and have had to create a Introduction and Guidelines thread due to the amount of intolerance that has been going on in this particular forum. It might be worth your while to read it. And everyone else who reads this.

Please, I ask that you refrain from using thread topics such as the one represented by this thread as it promotes intolerance in itself and also provokes anger and hatred.

Again, you may PM me, or e-mail me if you would like to discuss this and any other issues. I am always open for discussion, as long as it remains peaceful and mindful.

Darrell

11. Hikaru Zero

Darryl: Roger that, thanks for the clarification.

Burbot: I wouldn't know of any troubles on the Christian board. I'm not Christian, nor do I have any business on that board, thus, I stay here. =) That's all I'm asking.

I realize that everyone CAN post whatever they want, I'm asking you NOT to; we should seriously just drop the skirmish and introduce some more important conversations.

12. cabdirazzaq

cabdirazzaq Member

No, I view my self as the same slave as when I first started posting here.

13. Disarm

Disarm Member

Yeah, I think the thing is that evolutionary theory is pretty relevant to the athiesm forum because a lot of athiests believe in evolution..I'm thinking that people post 'athiest/agnostic bashing' threads in this forum because they relate to athiests and agnostics..the amount of christian bashing threads in christianity is far worse than here. If threads were more questioning than hurtful it would be far better but a lot of people on here are so set in their beliefs that they only question by attacking, that's just the way it is..I don't like it but yeah, that's just the way it is. If it relates to athiesm or agnositicism then it should go here, for better or worse, that's what I think.

14. BlackBillBlake

So do it baby!

Let's have these more important conversations.

15. Hikaru Zero

Heh ... alright ... let me think up a good one, give me a bit ...

16. mynameiskc

mynameiskc way to go noogs!

oh, for heaven's sake. this is ridiculous. people of various faiths will continue to post here, just like people without faiths will continue to post on the christianity page. get over it. this is not a sacred, inviolate zone.

17. ydnim

ydnim hiya

Everyone has the right to free speech but i also think everyone has the right to not be provoked and offended every day.

18. NaykidApe

NaykidApe Bomb the Ban

"If a wise man points north and a fool points south they're both telling you the same thing, but in different ways"--Some dead chinese guy.

19. vinceneilsgirl

vinceneilsgirl Member

I don't think you should apologize for using the word "Christians" at all.

I am Jewish, and I am sorry to have to say this, but it seems like the majority of Christians are taught two things:1)To be intolerant of other religions; and 2) To ignore scientific facts. I mean, there are still Christians out there that will ignore the fact that humans are members of the animal kingdom...so much so that they will take a failing grade in a biology course. I know, because I've met many of them in my lifetime.

It also seems to me that Christians are the only religion that goes around trying to convert people, so much so that they will use deceitful tactics. Ever heard of Jews for Jesus? I rest my case.

So, yeah, I don't blame you for being pissed.

20. JesusDiedForU

JesusDiedForU Banned

Everyone is welcome on the Christian forum.... we aren't so judgmental of who comes on and we enjoy when people are trying to deepen their worldview. So our forum is for all and not just for some