Christians and labels

Discussion in 'Christianity' started by Epiphany, Jan 27, 2005.

1. Jabbawaya

Jabbawaya Member

It's easy to call people names, isn't it? This is going nowhere.

2. astralgoldfish

astralgoldfish Member

I think the bible is closed minded. The anti-gay issue, and lack of flexibility on moral issues. For example-if by stealing money for medicene from a millionaire, you could save someones life, i don't consider it wrong. It means nothing to a millionaire to loose a small amount of money, but to someone else it could mean life or death. The bible just says "no stealing". there's more to morality than black and white rules. theres no room for that in christianity, if you take the bible as 100% unadulterated holy truth.

By no means are all christians closed-minded. but the bible is, and if you only take parts of the bible seriously, how can you take any of it seriously. The only reason to think the bible is in any way gods word, is written in the words of the bible. If you think some of it is wrong, or changed, why can't the part that claims the bible is the word of god be wrong, or added?

Surely if you have faith in Jesus, or any part of the bible, you have to take the whole thing as true don't you? Otherwise, why believe the bit you've chosen?

3. mynameiskc

mynameiskc way to go noogs!

no, i don't have to swallow the whole bible to be a christian. i try to follow the example of christ as laid out in the new testement, which is one of love, forgiveness and acceptance of god's influence in my life. i read the rest of the bible to discover what sort of society bred christ, and learn how his behavior and spirit was such a huge breakthrough. the bible also has had a massive impact in our society, so knowing it explains a LOT. and there IS great wisdom an amazing lessons to be learned about humanity within the history of the bible. i might not swallow all the teachings of buddhism, toaism or hinduism, but i DO learn quite a lot.

4. mynameiskc

i just like to call it like i see it.

5. Burbot

Burbot Dig my burdei

i do beleive Jabbawaya was one og the original flammers in this thread...

6. stickchick24

stickchick24 Member

When I use the term "close minded, right wing, Christians" I mean just those people who fit that description: people who are close minded, are right wing, and Christian. I am not calling all Christians close minded b/c I know many other people are close minded as well. I also know a few Christians who are open minded. I think people see those to labels together & automatically assume they refer to everyone.

btw, Jabba is right about Christianity being used as a tool (or weapon) against people who are different. I am not christian because of the corruption of the church (read Dante's Inferno, there's a couple Popes in hell). I am not here to criticize anyone's beliefs b/c to each his/her own. Just make sure your religous beliefs do not infringe on other's rights.

Peace & Love

7. WayfaringStranger

WayfaringStranger Corporate Slave #34

i like this thread, and this post demonstrates why. those peole werent christians. they used the christian label to garner support. you see theres the homeless man christian, and theres the george bush christian. but you will know them by there works. so words and labels means nothing. to use examples like george bush chistians to close your mind, youre only doing yourself a dsisservece and entering into ignorance. one must always, even as a christian, remain openminded. that dont mean you have to change, just have to be open minded. once you think you know the "truth" then you are furthest from it, only when you are actively searching the "truth" will you be close to it.

8. mynameiskc

you're a better person than i, man.