Christians and labels

Discussion in 'Christianity' started by Epiphany, Jan 27, 2005.

1. Epiphany

Epiphany Copacetic

Many people have come to me, feeling the same way and I have never said anything about it on the forums. However, the time seems appropriate.

The most hilarious thing I have EVER seen is the use of the phrase, "Close-minded". Christians are closed to your views, so you label them close minded. HOWEVER you all seem to keep forgetting that you are, in turn, closed off to the views of a Christian. That makes you close-minded as well. If you choose to use the term, that is fine, but understand that if you do not admit that this is true of yourself, it makes you a hypocrite.

I find it interesting how many people on here seem to judge Christians merely based on their stance of faith. Christians here are constantly put down and adhere to such phrases as, "living in a box." Do you know me outside of this forum? Half of you have not even read any other posts, yet you judge someone based on what you perceive about them in this one section of Hippyland. Some of you judge Christians here based on people such as the President.

I have a very active interest in the medical field because I grew up with several family members who were part of it. Many people claim that I am biased against doctors. If I decide I would like to advance my Psychology degree (it is currently towards becoming a psychologist), I would become a psychiatrist. That would make me a medical doctor. So much for the assumption. I am also partial to history and am intrigued by certain aspects of science. If I lived inside the box that you claim I do, I would not allow myself access to any of these fields.

I can vouch for several Christians here who are tired of hearing these judgements. All certain people know about them is how they respond on debates concering faith. Do you know any of them personally? Have you discussed any other topics with them?

Yes, this specific section of the Religion and Philosophy forum is dedicated to the discussion of Christianity. No one on earth possess the exact same views on every topic, thus, a debate is born. However, debates can, and have been held with respect, and intellect. Why must half of the debates in here be filled with childlike name calling and accusations based merely upon judgement? Granted, people are raised in diverse enviroments and are accostumed to different types of behavoir, however for the most part, we are all adults. While the divergence between believers and unbelievers is quite evident, I believe we can still manage to conduct some level of maturity.

Having a healthy debate is one thing, blatantly categorizing someone based on what little you know about them is just plain ignorant.

2. gnombient

gnombient Member

Amen...

It is pretty funny that people will knock Christians for being "closed-minded", then turn around and mock them for going out on a limb and believing in something that can't be "proved".

It's unfortunate that people will look down on Christians based on the actions or stances of a few people. To say that all Christians are right-wing fundamentalists, abortion-clinic-bombers, zealous proselytizers, etc. is like saying that all Muslims are jihadists and suicide bombers-- it just isn't so.

It would be really nice to have a thread in the Christianity section here that was troll-free...

3. Quetzalcoatl

Quetzalcoatl Banned

Its nonsense alright.

What is 'closed minded' supposed to mean anyway?
    That Christians are open to the idea of a Omnipotent God who transcends Time and Space.
    That God was one of us?
    That Christians accept the physical, mental, emotion concepts but ALSO accept there is another paradigm called the Spiritual?

And what is 'open-minded' supposed to be anyway?

So open minded that you think slagging Christians is 'smart' because your favourite comedians do it?
    Accept Evolutionism as fact because you were told its fact because its fact?
    Being so open-minded that you insist there is 'no objective truth' except one - that there is no objective truth.
    Being so 'open-minded' that your brains fall out?

Its pretty obvious to me that MANY people in Hipforums have decided they 'want' to beieve certain things and they have NO INTEREST in changing their minds (facts be dammed).
    And guess what - some of them are the first ones to come in here and accuse Christians of being 'Closed-minded'.

Sheer Hyprocrisy.. .. but ya.. they are the first ones to righteously declare Christians as 'Hypocrites' too.

4. BlackBillBlake

BlackBillBlake resigned HipForums Supporter

Yes its always foolishness to just criticize that of which we have no knowledge. The trouble is that many think they know all about Christian belief from what they've heard in the media, at school etc.

5. juggla

juggla Member

a closed minded christian is some one who wont evaluate their beliefs or even investiagate potential problems with their faith. i use to go to mass every sunday, i was even a alter boy when i was like 10, but about a year ago and did something most christians are afraid of, i looked at the bible critically. i seen to much in it that science disproves, i found contradictions in the text, i investigated other faiths and reliezed there members were just as moral people as christians, then of course i decided to use my rational mind and decided theres a huge probabilty god isnt real, and the bible is a text corrupted with error. then came the realization religion doesnt have a monopoly on morality, so i left the faith.

6. mynameiskc

mynameiskc way to go noogs!

and what of those among us, such as myself, who follow christ's teachings of forgiveness, charity and love but don't swallow the bible whole? i'm still a christian, i'm also very open minded. where i get annoyed with people here is that they automatically assume that to be a christian is to be a closed minded bigot. i've studied taoism, buddhism, zoroastrianism, animism and so forth with a great deal of interest in our common goals. but unless i just agree with an athiest that there is no god I'M the closed mind. it's total bullshit.

7. headymoechick

headymoechick I have no idea

amen to that!

I hate being labeled as being close minded and childlike for being Christain.

it's really too bad people can't debate about it with out making false accusations and the insults.

I feel as though I don't have to "investigate my faith" I'm happy with it. It hurts no one. If I'm wrong in the end, theres still no harm, I'll just die.

I don't know why people can't see that faith is good enough for us. Or why it matters to them if we're wrong.

8. mynameiskc

someone's argument being insufficient to change your mind does not necessarily mean your mind is closed.

9. feministhippy

feministhippy Member

I, too, hate this additude. My dad was raised Catholic, and my mom was raised Protestant. They converted to Judaism before I was born. So almost all of my non-immediate family is some form of Christian.

I hear people critisize Christians, Catholics especially, for being closed minded, but my dad's mother is a very religious Catholic, and she's one of the most open minded people I know. My aunts and uncles are very open minded and intellegent.

Everyone just needs to respect everyone else's right to follow whatever beliefs they want.

10. BlackGuardXIII

BlackGuardXIII fera festiva

Some of the most stubbornly closed minded people I have ever met were atheists. And I have met Christians that are wonderfully accepting and openminded. Labels suck.

11. Jabbawaya

Jabbawaya Member

Christianity is a weapon that has killed millions of people throught the course of its existence. It has started more wars than anything else, and hundreds of scientists, intellectuals, gays, and other human beings have been burned, crucified, and tortured due to its closed-minded views. Christianity is a closed-minded practice. Hundreds of years ago Christians burned a woman named Joan of Arc at the stake for heresy. They also threatened a scientist named Galileo--maybe you've heard of him--with torture so that he would recant his beliefs in heliocentricity and submit to the judgement of the Church. They banned Copernicus's De Revolutionsibus Orbiun Coelestium because it proved that the earth was not the center of the universe. Many of his works, and the findings of others, were publicly destroyed and the scientists were threatened with torture.

Time and again the Church has tortured and murdered people for their beliefs. Do you know what the Crusades were? Ever heard of the practice of burning heretics? Yeah, so much for preaching peace. Christianity leaves a bloody trail where ever you look.

Christianity is a weapon, a very cruel and dangerous weapon. As such I don't support it, and I find it sad that people do. Call me closed-minded if you wish. But at least I'm able to see that the religion to which millions of cultists adhere is inherently a sharpened blade poised at the eyeball of humankind.

12. Burbot

Burbot Dig my burdei

Acctually "The Church" back then was a government orgainzation and that what theocracy is...the reason Joan was burrned basically is cause it is a catholic thing [i think] where only preists and such can communicate with God...I beleive she did, and back then you coulden't have a WOMAN doing things like that especially...

You know what else leaves a bloody trail, Democracy, ever hear of the War in Iraq...and hmmm, what else, oh, Capitalism, ever hear of Veitnam...hmmm, anything else, oh Communism, ever hear of the Red Revolution...lets see anything else i missed guys...

Jabbawa, if you are being serious, i think you are the one who is closed minded, and should taka deep look into yourself before you judge others based on what a bunch of people did 1000 years ago...

13. Burbot

Burbot Dig my burdei

oh ya, and its not a wepon...it is often used as an excuse..., but never a wepon

14. Archemetis

Archemetis Senior Member

i think the reason many lable christians as close minded is often times the majority, or those who represent christianity in the publics eye (the catholic church and the pope...ect) often take a close minded stance on many issues. take homosexulaity for example...obviously not all christians are against homosexuality, many gays are probably even christian, but most christian churches teach that homosexuality is wrong and a sin. and i (and many others) think that is very closed minded to say.

15. Jabbawaya

Jabbawaya Member

I am educated on the circumstances surrounding Joan of Arc's capture and death, and you have not disputed that, merely restated things in some cryptic jumble that I have trouble understanding.

I am aware that the Church was government-linked. And I can be infinitely glad that it isn't today. It seems very likely to me that if it had its way, it would continue its savage practices. By the way, it wasn't 1000 years ago. The last recorded person to be burned at the stake was burned 400 years ago. Read some history, you might be surprised what you find.

Did I ever say I supported the war in Iraq? Or Communism? Or Vietnam? I don't think so. In attempting to mimic my rhetoric you're just making an ass.

You accuse me of being closed-minded how? Why do you say I need to take a look at myself? How is it that I'm being closed-minded? You have failed to point out any of this.

Stop throwing around words, please, you never know when you just might say something totally stupid.

I suggest you read about the Spanish Inquisition, the 9+ Crusades, forced conversion of Jews and others (which spans across the entire life of Christianity), etc. There are too many examples to name.

I would highly recommend the book, A World Lit Only by Fire, by William Manchester. And The Future of an Illusion by Sigmund Freud.

16. Burbot

Burbot Dig my burdei

i do realize that the joan of arc and such happen after 1000AD..

my analogy with democracy was to point out the fallicies in your argument...and yes, YOU are being closed minded cause you state that Chritianity is a closed minded instution...

17. BlackBillBlake

BlackBillBlake resigned HipForums Supporter

It was really the English who wanted Joan of Arc dead. They wanted to win their 100 years war. The church was simply a politicized instrument.

Last burning 400 years ago? I don't think so. There was a woman burned in Ireland as recently as the 18th century.

18. Jabbawaya

Jabbawaya Member

Your analogy with democracy does not really prove anything, since it is not connected to anything. This is not a name-game, so calling me closed-minded doesn't show anything. At least try to support that statement. It's like a child that just learned how to swear. Try to at least state some facts, or else your words are without substance.

Ah. I guess that simply helps me make my point.
    --
    I don't think there's any 'winning' this argument for either 'side'... it's getting kind of pointless.

19. Burbot

Burbot Dig my burdei

Your argument is that Chritianity is closed minded right? Not all Christians are closed minded...end of debate, hence forth not all Christian groups are closed minded either, many acctually do support gay unions and such...

20. mynameiskc

i'm very open mindedly declaring jabba whatever a closed minded bigotted twit.