Cholesterol

Discussion in 'Vegetarian' started by Duncan, Jun 4, 2004.

1. Angel_Headed_Hipster

Angel_Headed_Hipster Senior Member

Well i said basically because things like Whey and Casein, and derivatives from animal products sometimes don't contain cholesterol.

Peace and Love,
    Dan

2. Kiz

Kiz Member

Well might I say the same thing about you.

Uh... no. None of these have cholesterol. I think you may be confusing this with saturated fat. Non-animal foods do not contain cholesterol. They can though, contain saturated fat.

I thought I just heard you say that plants contained cholesterol. Must have been mistaken.

Kiz

3. wvhipster

wvhipster Member

Right on Kiz. I was waitin for someone to bring that up.

I think everyone here, veg*n or not should read "Food Revolution" by John Robbins . I talked about it in another post I could state some of it but it would take to long so I suggest you just read it. You can also check out the Fundamentalism thread. I wrote quite a bit in there that has info from this book.

4. Bilby

Bilby Lifetime Supporter and Freerangertarian Super Moderator

Let me quote from The Penguin Dictionary Of Biology for the entry for cholesterol.

"A sterol found in all animals studied, but not in higher plants or most bacteria. An important constituent of animal plasma membranes.A vitamin for insects, not for vertebrates."

What is says for Plasma membrane(Cell membrane).

"Extremely thin membrane (about one -hundredth micrometre thick ) mainly of fat and protein covering all cells.Responsable for restricted penetrationof many substances into interior of cell and in reverse direction.Severe damage to memebrane at once destroys cell."

Maybe that is why that Cervistatin medication proved to so dangerous.

5. ryupower

ryupower NO capcom included

Not really, a veg*n diet doesn't have much cholestorol, for the bit it does,--We love our Olive oil!!! So I guess it's not much of a problem.

6. Bilby

Bilby Lifetime Supporter and Freerangertarian Super Moderator

7. stranger

stranger Member

i totally agree cholesterol lowering drugs are ridiculous, and most pharmaceuticals for that matter. but i also am under the strong impression that diets high in cholesterol and saturated fat(and growth hormones and antibiotics while we are at it) and no dietary fiber are very unhealthy, and honestly dont remember hearing anything positive about cholesterol or it having any benefit to human health at all until now.... there are like a few things i might make an exception about, and thats like a very small number of types of fish, and eggs. im very skeptical about the fish, especially now a days since they are all mostly concentrated with some type of water pollutant-toxin as well. but i dont see how someone could pose the argument cow flesh or cow milk is a necessary component of a healthy human diet?

eggs are the one animal product that i would say are healthy for you assuming the chicken was fed a healthy diet and given a healthy lifestyle, which they rarely are now a days. i just heard from a lady that eggs that were not raised in a factory farm did not have salmonella at all, and she also explained that eggs are basically a chicken period, so i can see those being okay for human consumption, especially since they are so rich in vitamins and minerals. anything else though i have a hard time picturing as a health food. dont give me that essential fatty acid from fish crap either, hemp nuts are the best and most balanced source of EVERY essential fatty acid if that is what you are worried about. it is the most balanced source humans can find on this planet of every essential fatty acid, plus its a fuckin hemp nut, why would you chose a fish over that?!?

i would also chose a peanut over a fish any day, knowing not all peanuts are as good with fatty acids as hemp nuts and maybe not even fish, nuts are infinitley more pleasing for me to eat than fish flesh. and plus the fatty acids in fish probably arent worth the compromise of the fat dose of toxins you eat with it probably. i did just learn that peanuts are the most important food to buy organic though, since their often grown rotated with cotton which has no rules about chemicals since its not grown for human consumption, and i do realize itll be pricey to maintain my peanut habit now but ill adapt and evolve. but hemp nuts are still very cheap, and 99% of the time grown organically.

and where is drumminmama on all this? figured she'd have somethin to say, lol...

8. Apples+Oranjes

Apples+Oranjes Bekkasaur

If you're vegetarian, cholesterol can be an issue if you consume mass amounts of dairy products such as cheeses and milk... or if you eat lots of eggs.

However, if you're vegan, you don't consume ANY cholesterol because plant sources do NOT contain cholesterol, only animal products do.

As with anything, cholesterol is not necessarly bad for you unless you consume a lot of it. A slice of cheese here or there isn't going to make you drop dead from a heart attack, unless of course your body already naturally produces too much cholesterol which is possible.

Your body naturally, produces the cholesterol you need, and NORMALLY it's unnecessary to consume it.

For anyone who has the idea that non-animal products contain cholesterol I suggest you look at the nutrition facts on vegan products, or read up on the American Heart Association.

I got most of my info on cholesterol from the American Heart Association, which I trust is pretty much legit.

Otter I noticed you provided the link for that site as well... So, where did you come up with the fact that non-animal products contain cholesterol?! It clearley states that they do not...
    quote taken from the site: "Your body makes some of it, and the rest comes from cholesterol in animal products that you eat, such as meats, poultry, fish, eggs, butter, cheese and whole milk. Food from plants — like fruits, vegetables and cereals — doesn't have cholesterol."

If you're speaking of this... " Some foods that don't contain animal products may contain trans-fats, which cause your body to make more cholesterol. Foods with saturated fats also cause the body to make more cholesterol."
    That's simply saying that certain foods will help cause your body to PRODUCE more cholesterol...it doesn't mean that the foods actually CONTAIN cholesterol. Vegetable oil and nuts in itself does NOT contain cholesterol but will trigger your body to produce more... If that's what you meant, then I agree and understand... But if you seriously think the actual food contains cholesterol I highly suggest re-reading the info, and looking at nutrition fact labels. I've never came across any vegan products that actually CONTAIN cholesterol.

9. Apples+Oranjes

Apples+Oranjes Bekkasaur

P.S. How is this such a DEBATE?!

There isn't much to debate about if you obtain your knowledge on cholesterol from a reliable source... I dont understand it.

10. drumminmama

drumminmama Super Moderator Super Moderator

anyone ever notice that Duncan never responds in threads he starts?