Chiropractic care

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by Rar1013, May 18, 2004.

1. Rar1013

Rar1013 GroovaMama

does anyone know anything about chiropracters? do u think they work?

2. sugrmag

sugrmag Uber Nerd

I go at least once a week. I found that it helps. I have scoliosis (curve of the spine is out of whack). Over time the adjustments have taken my pain away. It also helps to relieve the tension I carry in my neck and upper back.

3. Andy73

Andy73 Member

An ordinary chiropractor cannot correct posture, at best an ordinary chiropractor can only temporarily treat symptoms and cannot correct the cause. And there's no end to the number of visits, you will keep going back.

The type of chiropractor who can really change the structure, thus restoring normal nervous system function, is a chiropracticbiophysicist. This is not an ordinary neck cracking chiropractor.

Take a look at these sites:
    http://circulartraction.com/
    http://idealspine.com/
    http://www.nucca.org/home.htm

and the last one is a site that I myself made:

http://www.ida.net/users/speziale/SPINE ALIGN/Homepage/

btw, be sure to click on the FAQ, the email link on the site does not work and there's no map yet

4. Andy73

Andy73 Member

Chiropracticbiophycists will, of course, not only take an initial x-ray but continue to take x-rays throughout treatment to prove to you that the structure really is CHANGING.

13 months ago I had what is refered to as a double harmonic reverse curve. And actual reversal of the neck curve is comparatively rare.

For several years I visited lots of different chiropractors, they all performed adjustments over and over again. When I convinced them to take an x-ray, the x-ray showed that absolutely nothing had changed. Adjustment after adjustment after adjustment, then message after message, then months of physical therapy, nothing what-so-ever changed.

However, now that I have been with Spine Align for 13 months, my x-ray shows a healthy cervical spine with an almost perfect 45 degree curve. I am still suffering because of C1, the atlas. I have lots of brain-stem pressure, and have had it for years so that at least 70% of my muscles are not recieving an adequate nerve impulse. Fortunately, it looks as though I am going to completely recover. I am now using circular traction to correct the last 5mm, it is an extremely gradual process. I have also restored the normal lumbar curve to my lower back.

What caused my severe subluxation is shrouded in mystery. Most doctors are of the opinion tha only a major trauma could produce a double harmonic reverse curve with a reversal at the top of the neck such as mine. In fact my spine looked like a sea-horse 13 months ago.

I was on a benzodiazepine for 12 years, and during tolerance withdrawal I lost 40lbs - and I was'nt overweight to begin with - so this certainly played a role in producing the subluxation. On top of this I am suffering protracted withdrawal syndrome (PWS) at almost 3 years off the drug. But actually most of my problems are coming from brain-stem pressure, so I don't really have a full blown PWS, just whiffs of derealization and an overactive visual cortex. My existential circumstance is uniquely painful and isolating.

It has been one long hard journey, but for the first time it looks as though recovery is less than a month away.

5. Maggie Sugar

Maggie Sugar Senior Member

I know a lot of people have been helped with Chiropractic. I have severe intractable Chronic migrianes, and chiro did nothing to help me. I got a nice little endorphine buzz for a about an hour after each session, but it did nothing to help my pain in the long run. My insurance didn't cover any of it, so I blew a couple of thousand dollars, when my only salvation was actually chemical relief. I would have blown more, if I had bought all the overpriced vitamins and supplements the chiro was constantly trying to sell me. After the first 8 bottles or so, I starting thinking "This womyn has a good thing going here. You go for repeated adjustments, she continually sells you overpriced supplements, and when you don't get better she blames YOU!"

No thanks.

6. Lilyrayne

Lilyrayne Chrisppie

I can't stand Chiros that sell stuff like that. I went to one of those... they gave me BAD vibes all over.

However the other two I've been two have been wonderful, they do make me feel better, but it's true that you will always be going. I was told "Don't go, it only makes things worse" but when I started going, things couldn't have gotten much worse. I got a condition called Torticollis, which was a REALLY painful neck injury from what I suspect was a work injury... and I couldn't move or do anything it was so bad I was screaming and crying in pain. If it wasn't for that first chiro I went to, I don't know what I would have done... she REALLY helped.

7. drumminmama

drumminmama Super Moderator Super Moderator

I was asking about good chiros in my area on another list and one person suggested a DO (osteopath) who does spinal manipulation. You'll have to ask around, but they are out there.

I find chiro coupled with the odd massage helps my back and lymph drainage.
    I don't buy into the overpriced supplements and an adjustment 3x year for $25 does me right.
    I did need six weeks of weekly adjustment years ago.

8. lilia1313

lilia1313 Member

I also recommend going to a D.O.(Doctor of Osteopathic Medicine) They are real doctors just like a M.D. They are trained in spinal manipulations and some specialize in them. If you look in the phone book you should be able to find one that does.

We used to go to a Chiropractor and he was one of the best in town. We thought that he was very good. One day when he was on vacation my son really needed an adjustment. I wasn't comfortable just picking a Chiropractor out of the phone book and the one he recommended didn't have any openings. I ended up looking in the phone book for a D.O. and found one who specialized in spinal manipulations. The D.O. was excellent. Far better than the Chiropractor. I was so impressed with him that I started going to him for other medical needs.

If you decide to go to a Chiropractor be very careful who you choose. Many Chiropractors make outrages claims as to what they can cure/heal. The ONLY thing they can do is adjust your back.

lilia

9. Rar1013

Rar1013 GroovaMama

Well, i went to a chiropracter......for the second time......because i have to do something...He doesn't sell any kind of supplements or anything out of his office...he just requires i come once a week until i am ready to come once a month.....I understand that i will have to go for the rest of my life to continue to feel better......I would like to find some way to correct the problem permanetly.....but i'm not sure that my problem is reversable.......but i am content w/ having all the time......I guess......i just think of it as getting my teeth cleaned once every six months...you should do that.......for the rest of your life......or you'll loose your teeth.......so if i don't keep going to the chiro.....i may loose how well i feel when i do go.....makes sense.....right.......

i dunno.....i am also open to other options......just don't have the funds and or insurance to support that........:( So thanxs everyone.......i appreciate your advice.......

10. sugarbear420

sugarbear420 Member

i'm wondering if any of you would know of a DO in the pittsburgh area because 3 weeks ago i was in a car accident and the chiropractor i went to (only 3 times) wasn't very good (this was my first time at a chiropractor ever). each time i went there to be manipulated, i left in more pain than what i was in before.

the chiropractor took about 10 or so x-rays of my neck & lower back and found that a disc in my lower back is twisted and turned all in the wrong directions (which is causing EXTREME pain - i can't sit for long periods of time and when i do sit, my left leg ends up going numb), and in my neck he found a disc that was twisted there too.

i dont know much about this, but i guess there's supposed to be a natural curve in your neck that's at a 40 degree angle -- or something? i dont know. but i was told that mine is at NEGATIVE 7 degrees. so i'm under the impression that this is kind of serious... but who knows.

anyway, if any of you could give me some suggestions or if you're from pittsburgh and know of a good place to go to help w/ my problem, it would be greatly appreciated. :) thanks

11. dharmakarma16

dharmakarma16 Member

my mom is a very successful chiropractor, so something must be working well for the people she sees... i think that they are better than regular medical doctors for injuries of joints and muscles and such. there are many chiropractors in my family. yay chiropractic!!!

12. lace_and_feet

lace_and_feet Super Member

My uncle Steve has had great success with going to a chiropractor. He goes at least once a week. I'd like to try it sometime myself.

13. JohnnyATL

JohnnyATL Banned

I get a free chiropractor once a week for half a year all through out highschool : ) our football team provides it

14. kjhippielove88

kjhippielove88 color + rhyme

i used to go the chiropractor twice a week and it was the best. he hooked me up to this machine that would massage your muscles..pure heaven

15. dharmakarma16

dharmakarma16 Member

16. purplesage

purplesage Ah, fuck it...

I saw a chiropractor last year for the first time ever, and he did a great job straightening out my posture. I had to go in twice a week for about 6 - 8 weeks. He didn't fix some chronic problems I was having like he promised he could (leg and neck aches), but I didn't mind all that much because my very bad posture was my main concern.

But it's true, if you want to maintain it you will have to keep going back - regularly. This guy reckoned that normally you have to go back every 6 weeks, but for me it was every 2 weeks!

They also ask you to do numerous time-consuming exercises at home in between visits and after the main treatment has finished.

I didn't bother with any of that, and I am paying the price for my laziness... a year on my posture has pretty much returned to its original hunched state.

I think they should be able to fix you permanently and without you having to do any work. Hell they get paid enough! It's a scam if you ask me.